Hi all, DCF Interview Documents question

My wife and I got married back in July, I have a stamp in my passport that I entered the country on July the 7th. I did not get a residence permit until October because I needed to wait for my school that i'm attending to handle that, but I have had a stable residence here since July. Will I be able to file in January like I had originally planned?

Second question:

The DCF guide mentions that these documents need to be included in the filing at the point of the interview:

1. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s birth certificate
  2. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s hukou
  3. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s criminal background check
  4. Notarization/translation of beneficiary’s marriage certificate
  5. Notarization/translation of petitioner’s marriage certificate
  6. Notarization/translation of child(ren)’s birth certificate

All of these are no problem, except the part that confuses me is the birth certificate and hukou. My wife does not have a birth certificate, but she of course has her hukou. Aren't they considered the same thing since she was born before 1991 (when they started making official birth certs). How do I go about helping her obtain one.

Third question: Where does she get her criminal background check from? We live in Wuhan (Hubei province) and she is from Xianning (which is also Hubei, just an hour or two south of here)

Thanks so much, I did search with the search bar, but didn't get the results I wanted.

Documents to bring to interview

The hukou is the Household Registry which CONTAINS the information used to produce the white books, include the 'Notarial Certification of Birth' - the hukou itself is not needed, except at the Gong Zheng Chu.

Chinese Notarial Documents - see DOS China Reciprocity Schedule

Most of the documents needed can be obtained from one of China's Notarial Offices (Gong Zheng Chu). All Chinese documentation to be used abroad is processed through the notary offices and issued in the form of notarial certificates. Notarial offices are located in all major Chinese cities and in rural county seats

The documents required are the GongZhengShu 公证书

Sample application for documents (your province or hukou may vary):

http://bnpo.gov.cn/en/en_index

A discussion of the huji (or hukou 户口) system can be found at Hukou System. Chinese residents should go to their hukou for all notarial documents (birth, divorce, and/or single certificate, and police records). For the police record, one obtained at the hukou will cover all of China.

A notarial document will be in the standard white notarial booklet, have an official red seal, an English translation, and an attestation to the true translation.

Note that police records and single certificates are valid for one year from the date of notarization. Others are valid indefinitely.

Marriage certification for I-130 or K-3 must be in the same format.

If ANY document is unobtainable, you should submit a statement of WHY it is unobtainable, and what effort you made to obtain it

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My wife and I got married back in July, I have a stamp in my passport that I entered the country on July the 7th. I did not get a residence permit until October because I needed to wait for my school that i'm attending to handle that, but I have had a stable residence here since July. Will I be able to file in January like I had originally planned?

You need to provide evidence that you LIVE in the Consulatory district of Bejing or Guangzhou AT THE TIME you submit the I-130. A determination will be made by the clerk accepting (or not) the evidence you provide. This evidence will be immediately returned - it WILL NOT be part of your application.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

You need to provide evidence that you LIVE in the Consulatory district of Bejing or Guangzhou AT THE TIME you submit the I-130. A determination will be made by the clerk accepting (or not) the evidence you provide. This evidence will be immediately returned - it WILL NOT be part of your application.

I am going to the local university currently, will showing them my School ID prove that I live here? What documentation can prove that I actually live here in Wuhan?

I am going to the local university currently, will showing them my School ID prove that I live here? What documentation can prove that I actually live here in Wuhan?

It looks like they now emphasize your visa type - Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) - but bring your ID and any other evidence you have. It's up to the person you turn your petition in to.

Evidence of the petitioner’s residence in China. This may include:

• A Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China (居住许可).
  • A Chinese visa (签证) in the categories of D, J1, Q1, S1, X1 or Z.
  • Please note that U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not China and/or are abroad for a short-term visit as a tourist or on business must file their I-130 petition with the Chicago Lockbox. For example, temporary travelers under L, M or F Chinese visas will generally not qualify for direct filing with the Guangzhou Field Office.

It looks like they now emphasize your visa type - Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) - but bring your ID and any other evidence you have. It's up to the person you turn your petition in to.

Evidence of the petitioner’s residence in China. This may include:

• A Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China (居住许可).
  • A Chinese visa (签证) in the categories of D, J1, Q1, S1, X1 or Z.
  • Please note that U.S. citizens whose principal residence is not China and/or are abroad for a short-term visit as a tourist or on business must file their I-130 petition with the Chicago Lockbox. For example, temporary travelers under L, M or F Chinese visas will generally not qualify for direct filing with the Guangzhou Field Office.

Okay, I have both the Visa and the residence permit, I think I should be fine.

Thanks Randy.