An interview with Jack Ma

from the Shanghaiist

Barack Obama interviews Jack Ma at APEC summit in Manila

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/obama_interviews_ma.jpg

Ma and the U.S. President were both in the Philippines for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Manila.

. . .

Ma responded that for the past six years Alibaba has been putting 0.3 percent of its total revenue toward encouraging young entrepreneurs to find solutions to climate change and other environmental problems facing the world. . . .

"A startup for entrepreneurs is like a baby. I have five babies, I'm an experienced father. My advice to you is: nobody can help you. We can only help ourselves. Investors, the government, the partners, they are uncles and aunties, but you are the mother of your kid. Don't give up on the kid."

Ma and the U.S. President were both in the Philippines for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Manila.

. . .

Ma responded that for the past six years Alibaba has been putting 0.3 percent of its total revenue toward encouraging young entrepreneurs to find solutions to climate change and other environmental problems facing the world. . . .

He has called expanding Alibaba outside of the China market a top priority.

Was in the Philippines on a trip this past week. Was supposed to fly out on Thursday, but all flights were cancelled out of Manila for the most part of 3 days. I'm guessing for security reasons........

We went to Boracay for 4 days. Had to take a 6 hour bus from the entry into Boracay in Caticlan to "IloIlo" (forget the name of the city). Flew from there to Hong Kong, and then back to Beijing.

There were hundreds of Chinese tourists stranded - pretty chaotic situation! Thankfully I could speak English with the airlines, and after a couple hours were able to come up with this method. I helped out a few Chinese tourists before having to take off on the bus.

That was my experience with the APEC - creating an airport mess! But, the APEC and having Obama and all the other world leaders in their country really was the talk of all of the people in the Philippines.