Tax transcripts

When submitting tax transcripts with the I-864 do you need to submit one ordered with the 4506t form or is the one ordered from the IRS website ok? On the IRS website it says you can order a tax return transcript via online but it doesn't mention this is ok on the instructions page for the I-864. Has anyone used this method? Any advice, please?

The on line or phone ordered transcripts are fine.

In my time I ordered them on the phone, and IRS mailed to me, another time ordered on phone and they faxed them to me, and still another time on line and downloaded them in PDF form, all times they were accepted.

You can't download them online now. You can still order them online or by phone. For some reason the online order won't work for me. When I ordered them on the phone they never came. Yesterday I downloaded the transcript form, filled it out and faxed it in.

This year I ordered ($50/year) the official copies. Then the hack happened and they opened up an online order (to arrive by postal mail) that would be free, the proverbial transcript. I used that and it was fine (they came quick).

Months later the official copies arrived, I will use them for something else, I guess.

After the IRS itself was hacked they stopped the Online Transcript Service. Here is what they still say:

Get Transcript

Alert:
The online Get Transcript service is currently unavailable. You may still order transcripts using the Get Transcript by Mail service. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You can get a transcript by mail to view your tax account transactions or line-by-line tax return information for a specific tax year. The method you used to file your return and whether you have a refund or balance due, affects your current year transcript availability. Note: If you need a copy of your return, you must use Form 4506, Request for Copy of Return.

To use Get Transcript by Mail, you need your Social Security number (SSN) or your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), date of birth, and address from your latest tax return.

At: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

and then there is this from the Transcript FAQs:

What if I’m unable to use Get Transcript by Mail?

If you are unable to use Get Transcript by Mail, you may try our automated phone transcript service at 1-800-908-9946 to receive your transcript by mail. Please allow 5 to 10 calendar days for delivery.

at: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript-FAQs

I guess the part Carl said about never got them is covered by the IRS when they say "you may try...."

You're probably reading too much into the Forms' Instructions if you try to decipher exactly how some data should be generated.

When I got the transcripts for our second case, I did this old fashioned out of date thing. Not trusting the timeliness of computers and snail mail options I got into my car and drove 50 miles to my local IRS office in Altoona. yes, boys and girls, that is how I done 'er. I got there early and got me a number and I sat there with folks softly grumbling about the dern IRS, and about an hour later, I walked out to my car with my transcripts...in my grubby paws. It was a beautiful drive to Altooner, plus I did it on a day I had an appointment at the VA. The VA there in Altoonerfish paid me $32.87 travel pay to go to my appointment so with a beautiful drive in the ol' rusted out '57 Studebaker Commander Salamander leaving a trail of blue smoke behind her, I got my transcripts in a timely manner with no guessing about, did they get my request, will they actually send them to me in time for the interview, etc etc???

I would never recommend this way to anyone. It is embarrassingly old fashion, and downright degrading at times. I'm not into governmental officials of any sort but I like no fuss no muss more than I dislike governmental officials. They did....treat me with respect, and the nice lady wished me good luck with gittin' my wife out of the awful clutches of the State Department. Maybe she don't like government officials very much either. For what it is worth, I did not play along with the softly speaking grumblers about the IRS. I jes kept my game smile on as I jumped through the current hoop to gittin' my waa waa over cheer.

Good luck to those in need of transcripts. They ain't very pretty to look at but in 2011 they seemed to hold importance to the jackals in Guangzhou. They even gave blue slip instructions to some unfortunates at their interviews, requesting transcripts. I would have driven 150 miles one way to git them as reading mish mash rules on governmental websites makes my ol' hed spin sometimes. :victory:

tsap seui

China immergration lawyer (with 4 years 10 months of book larnin' and schooling)

VA compensation lawyer (with 5 years of book larnin' and schooling)

Not by choice, only by necessity

You can't download them online now. You can still order them online or by phone. For some reason the online order won't work for me. When I ordered them on the phone they never came. Yesterday I downloaded the transcript form, filled it out and faxed it in.

They came today. Use the form 4506T http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf I notice the IRS website no longer says you can order them online or by phone. It says to mail them in. I followed the instructions on the form 4506T and faxed mine. They came in a week.