Retirement in China for my wife

My wife is saying she must return to China to show up at the retirement agency between July and December this year with her ID and a current photo. Then she will be able to check in yearly using a cellphone, skype or some such shyte to prove she is still upright. Supposedly this comes from several good sources. Sounds sketchy as hell to me.

Was told had to apply 30 days prior to turning age 50 in person. Ditto on the electronic yearly check-in, was also told to hold up a newspaper in photo to prove date. 4-6 weeks to produce the bank card where the money would be deposited each month. Around 1250RMB each month to start, with a raise each year for 3 years to get up to 1750RMB. Then a yearly raise again (COA?) there after, maxing out at 2000RMB. Had to pay the catch up fee for years not working, plus the late fee too. Also some document storage monthly/yearly fee 10RMB to the province capital for keeping all the paperwork over the years not working.

Maybe a little sketchy sounding, but no more so than anything else seems to be.

I am sure each office, and each employee has it's/their own set of procedures and rules it/they follow in the grand scheme of things.

They did say that there is no spousal death benefit like here on S.S. that pays the surviving spouse.

• 4 weeks later...

I focused on the last paragraph: "Yan Lixian, head of the pension division at the social security ministry, said that retirees-whether they have changed their nationality or received a green card in other countries-will definitely be able to claim their pensions from China's social security funds." Should this go on to say 'for now.' ??

changed Nationality and can still collect.

got a green card and can still collect.

Try to convince some of the wives about the first part.

• 10 months later...

My wife was told the same thing. But then the question came up: Which is better, American Social Security or that of the PRC? When push comes to shove, my wife would qualify for Social Security after ten years of income, whereas she would have to work another seven years for a questionable PRC retirement situation. That would also require her to try to hide the fact that she is married to a "foreigner" for another seven years within a work environment that doesn't take that lightly... To me, it is a no-brainer. For her, it is a struggle because of all the years she had put faith into the PRC system.

The American SS System will allow your wife a retirement income based on YOUR earnings after 5 years of marriage and living in the U.S. It is an amount that is 1/2 of your SS income and becomes the full amount after your death

The American SS System will allow your wife a retirement income based on YOUR earnings after 5 years of marriage and living in the U.S. It is an amount that is 1/2 of your SS income and becomes the full amount after your death

The five year residence requirement affects ONLY whether she can continue receiving benefits while living in a foreign country. In other words, your wife can draw spousal benefits based on YOUR work record when she reaches retirement age. She can CONTINUE those benefits after moving to a foreign country IF she satisfies the five-year residency requirement while married to you.

Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Spouse