Great News so Far! (Update) And what to do after NOA2 (Help?)

I'm grinning all day now just thinking about it....haha!

Really happy for ya, man! It's good to see a plan comes together (a la Hannibal Smith...)

At least she'll be coming to Texas in the late fall, so it shouldn't be too tough on her...until next year...

• Like 1

I'm grinning all day now just thinking about it....haha!

Really happy for ya, man! It's good to see a plan comes together (a la Hannibal Smith...)

At least she'll be coming to Texas in the late fall, so it shouldn't be too tough on her...until next year...

Thanks Warren!

I just bought her airplane ticket. She should be here in the US next Friday at 5pm. I can't wait.

• Like 2
I just bought her airplane ticket. She should be here in the US next Friday at 5pm. I can't wait.

Awesome, man! Will you meet her at her port of entry? So glad it is all falling into place.

I am awake early here out in west CN cause my wedding will start in 5 hours. Glad I gave them a gift of a coffee pot a year ago because it is sustaining me right now.

• Like 1

Awesome, man! Will you meet her at her port of entry? So glad it is all falling into place.

I am awake early here out in west CN cause my wedding will start in 5 hours. Glad I gave them a gift of a coffee pot a year ago because it is sustaining me right now.

Congrats!

Enjoy the Baijiu drinking games. haha.

Unfortunately, I will not meet her at the POE. I wanted to, but everything happened so suddenly and with her pregnant state, we just got the fastest flight. I have to use my vacation hours for all the appointments I will take her too...and when the baby arrives.

SO now I'm just stressing over a few more hurdles to jump. Since the baby is coming in December, I gotta get her SSN card and Marriage License squared away. Somewhat confused by what it takes to get the SSN, I'll just have to show up at the SS office and bug them a bunch I guess. :)

Have a great wedding and safe journey!

To get her SSN, https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

When you visit a Social Security office to apply for a Social Security card, take the following papers with you:

• Your passport with your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) if you have it; and,
  • your birth certificate and a birth certificate for each member of your family applying for a Social Security number.

If she checked the box for an SS card on her visa application, that may or may not result in a card actually being issued (usually not). You may wish to apply for one directly, at the SS office, once her immigration records have had time to show up on the SSA computers, WITHOUT waiting for it to show up in the mail. The immigration record can take up to two weeks after entry, sometimes less.

The marriage certificate should already be squared away - what are you expecting to have to do here? Unless she's coming on a K-1 visa, in which case you mean you need to get married!

• Like 1

One note about SSN, they will not issue one until the can verify status, which usually take anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks after arrival into the states.

K-1 can get an SSN up to 10 days prior to the 90 day stay expiration of their I-94, after that and they will have to wait for EAD or Green-card in-order to apply for an SSN.

The K-1 is considered work authorized for the 90 days after arrival in the states, I believe this is primarily not for work, but so they can get the SSN, some states will not issue a marriage license unless the applicants have SSN.

• Like 1

To get her SSN, https://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnvisa/Handout_11_1.html

When you visit a Social Security office to apply for a Social Security card, take the following papers with you:

• Your passport with your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) if you have it; and,
  • your birth certificate and a birth certificate for each member of your family applying for a Social Security number.

If she checked the box for an SS card on her visa application, that may or may not result in a card actually being issued (usually not). You may wish to apply for one directly, at the SS office, once her immigration records have had time to show up on the SSA computers, WITHOUT waiting for it to show up in the mail. The immigration record can take up to two weeks after entry, sometimes less.

The marriage certificate should already be squared away - what are you expecting to have to do here? Unless she's coming on a K-1 visa, in which case you mean you need to get married!

Exactly, she is coming on the K1 visa. And I see that some places require you to have the SSN before you can get married...

I emailed the County Clerk Friday and the response was typical junk. I'm not sure they even know what I was really asking.

So, I'm going to call them Monday and try to describe what is actually going in and see if it's possible to get the marriage license before the SSN. (Some people have had luck with showing the K! paperwork and the beneficiary's foreign passport.)

Gotta get the marriage done to add her to my insurance. The baby is coming early December! :sweating_buckets:

One note about SSN, they will not issue one until the can verify status, which usually take anywhere from 10 days to 2 weeks after arrival into the states.

... some states will not issue a marriage license unless the applicants have SSN.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worried about.

I'm not sure that Texas requires a SSN, but the person I exchanged emails with didn't really understand what I was asking...so I'm calling tomorrow or going down there before she arrives to clarify things.

You're doing all the right stuff, buddy. The hard part is done. And you're being pro-active on this. You're finding out what you need to do.

And you have a wealth of knowledge here to help you out.

It'll be OK, my friend (tossing you a fresh bag o Cheetohs)

:)

I think the SS requirement is rare (Las Vegas, Colorado, Iowa, Alabama, and Florida are ones that I found - the state of Nevada does NOT require one) - assume you DON'T need it unless you find out otherwise. In some cases, simply signing an affidavit that you DON'T have one will work - that is, you may not need to ACQUIRE a new one if you don't already have it.

http://www.usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/marriage_licenses/

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Colorado says both individuals must have a ssn - if they both have one. Exceptions would be those who hold a foreign passport and are in the process of immigrating. And if we both choose to sign the license while obtaining it we will be immediately married. How easy is that? :)

It's that you must PROVIDE the number - IF you already have one - no? If not, you can sign an affidavit to that effect.

This is from El Paso County (Colorado Springs) - http://car.elpasoco.com/Recording/Pages/MarriageLicenses.aspx

If a party does not have a Social Security Number, the Affidavit Concerning Social Security Number must be completed and submitted at time of application for a marriage license. It may be signed and notarized in advance or signed in front of the Deputy County Clerk at time of application.

One thing I was thinking of, does anyone know. See didn't get all of immunizations because she was pregnant? How do I handle this? I'm guessing those wait until after the baby is born. I just imagine I would have to submit something somewhere to validate this....

Anyone?