Typhoon Chan-hom

I've seen this in several sources - most of the pictures seem to be of people watching large waves splashing and flooding. In Zhejiang, to the south of Shanghai

Typhoon pounds China with heavy rains; 1.1 million evacuated

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/37/50/42/8292524/45/1024x1024.jpg

Some 1.1 million people had been evacuated from coastal areas of Zhejiang and more than 46,000 in neighboring Jiangsu province ahead of the storm, Xinhua said. The provincial flood control bureau said 28,764 ships had been ordered back to port.

The national weather service said earlier the typhoon might be the strongest to strike China since the communist government took power in 1949. It initially was deemed a super-typhoon but was downgraded at midday Saturday to a strong typhoon and was weakening further as it moved inland.

Heavy downpour was reported in some areas, including the village of Lai'ao, which recorded more than 400 millimeters (16 inches) of rain, according to Xinhua.

I've seen this in several sources - most of the pictures seem to be of people watching large waves splashing and flooding. In Zhejiang, to the south of Shanghai

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/37/50/42/8292524/45/1024x1024.jpg

Some 1.1 million people had been evacuated from coastal areas of Zhejiang and more than 46,000 in neighboring Jiangsu province ahead of the storm, Xinhua said. The provincial flood control bureau said 28,764 ships had been ordered back to port.

The national weather service said earlier the typhoon might be the strongest to strike China since the communist government took power in 1949. It initially was deemed a super-typhoon but was downgraded at midday Saturday to a strong typhoon and was weakening further as it moved inland.

Heavy downpour was reported in some areas, including the village of Lai'ao, which recorded more than 400 millimeters (16 inches) of rain, according to Xinhua.

Wow, didn't realize it hit so hard. Here in Hangzhou we had heavy rain/wind on Saturday but nothing more than the usual big storm weather.

Wow, didn't realize it hit so hard. Here in Hangzhou we had heavy rain/wind on Saturday but nothing more than the usual big storm weather.

During the Typhoon Usagi in 2013, I was able to watch the satellite images as it came ashore. You could see a perfectly formed typhoon over the South China Sea which broke up almost immediately as it hit the coast due to the mountains. At times, you could even see the outline of the shore in the shape of the typhoon. The mountains along the coast just provide MUCH more protection from the winds than what you see along the American coastlines. I'm told that here in Yulin, they have NEVER seen hurricane force winds.

I doubt Florida, the Redneck Rivera, much less the outer banks of NC would ever be able to get permits to build mountains along the shores. Unlike the Chinese, who can build whole islands with nary a permit, the Chinese would have no problems building more mountains....right over the hotels lining the beach, if they wanted to . It is a shame what has happened to America. Always some durn bug or self righteous group standing in the way of progress!!! Crabs on the prick of progress, I tells ya!!!! The Chinese don't need no stinkin' permits, why do we?

tsap seui

World observer and commenpotator