Regarding I-864A "sponsor's promise" + Document Intake

Howdy,

My father is joint-sponsoring my spouse. As such, I had my mother fill out an I-864A because she lives in the same household as my father and they file taxes jointly. (She doesn't have an income).

Now, who signs the "sponsor's promise" part of my mother's I-864A? Would that be me or my father? I'm guessing it's my father, right?

Also, what's the document intake process? Document intake takes place on the day of and immediately before the interview, right?

Best,

J

I-864A in this case "Sponsor" is Joint sponsor, so your Father fills out sponsor's section of the I-864A. Although since she is not adding any income to this, she does not need to provide the I-864A. The I-864A is only used to add income to that of a sponsor, no income no need for the I-864A.

Document intake is just before interview, in DCF cases, it is also when the Visa fee is paid.

• Like 1

So the process is:

1. Wait in line

2. Document intake

3. Pay visa fee

4. Interview

?

I've read around that even though the spouse of a joint-sponsor isn't actually adding income that they'd need to fill out an I-864A anyway, so I figured I'd have my mom do it just in case. Do you think they'll accept it?

Ya'all have confused me, now.

See this from the AOS page: "If you have a joint sponsor, they must also complete Form I-864. If you are using the income of other household members to qualify, then each household member who is accepting legal responsibility for supporting your relative must complete a separate Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member."

at: http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-support

Seems to me you stated Dad is a joint sponsor. Hence he fills out the I 864 also. Mom has no income, so unless her assets are also being used their is nothing for her to file.

Finally, unless your mother lives with you, and has for at least 6 months, she is not a household member of yours.