CB Radio Preceded Cell Phones. Oh, Yes it did!

Guest SloppyZhou_

Guest SloppyZhou_

When? Mid-to-late 70s USA. CB radio craze begins. It preceded cell phones and was huge. My base unit and power mike kicked ass and walked on every mobile out there.

I should have saved my starduster antennae to wear as head-dressing in a tatoo bar.

Drove semi for 4 years, the CB is part of the tool kit, so I had one. However for me I could not stand all the stupid noise (Roger beepers, echo boxes, distortion etc...) so for the most part it was off. Only time it was on was at shippers and receivers so they could call me in for papers or call me to a dock, or when running with another driver from my company, we would pick a different channel and chat while running down the highway.

My unit was a Cobra 29LTD Classic

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vJle8vlsWLc/maxresdefault.jpg

Guest SloppyZhou_

Drove semi for 4 years, the CB is part of the tool kit, so I had one. However for me I could not stand all the stupid noise (Roger beepers, echo boxes, distortion etc...) so for the most part it was off. Only time it was on was at shippers and receivers so they could call me in for papers or call me to a dock, or when running with another driver from my company, we would pick a different channel and chat while running down the highway.

My unit was a Cobra 29LTD Classic

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vJle8vlsWLc/maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, that's awesome! I remember my first unit was simply an auto unit that I connected up in my 12-foot travel trailer where I was living. I got stuck on channel 4, whereas the truckers as you know were using mostly channel 19. I got a power mike like this; a super sidekick:

http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/radio/images/shack135.jpg

But, the special fellers had these:

http://truckcitycbgps.com/Images/d104_desk_mikes.jpg

I guess it was something that got stuck from a very young age of being able to talk into a machine to another human being. It was so cool. Max power allowed was five watts, but all of us tweaked our machines to put out more or had linear amplifiers to blow the ears off local guys. It was such a blast and truly met so many local people.

Edited by SloppyZhou_ (see edit history)
Guest SloppyZhou_

Well, there is always what happens at the end of the trend. The movies, the "hey good buddy, got your ears on?"

The stuff that hit the news cycle of the day was about 3-5 years behind life. Today, it's just too fast. Before anyone learns of it, it's old.

The CB crowd as with most American phenoms, didn't last long and as soon as others joined in, then it meant it was time for something new. American life was born on new ideas. Staying too long might mean you get leftover drinks, but also leftover food.

I drove long haul for 10 years. I was an owner operator for 5 years. I had a big ole red Star Car with an 8V92T (Silver 92) Detroit turned up to 440 HP with a 13 speed. It was a fast truck and would do triple digits if I stood on it as well as out pull a 425 air to air Cat on a grade grossing 80K. A CB for an outlaw trucker such as myself was an absolute necessity and was always on. I also had a Cobra but I had a 100 watt linear so I could shoot skip and talk to people 100s of miles away. When you are doing 75 mph in a 55 zone you need to know where the bears are. Bird dogs helped but often the bears wouldn't pull the trigger until they were right on top of you.

One foggy night I was rolling eastbound across the corn patch with my foot in it when my bird dog went off. Smokey shot me while he was westbound. I had a lot of lights on my truck so I looked kinda like a Christmas tree. I put my foot in it and turned off all of my extra lights. I got up in the rocking chair between two other trucks slowed down and moved into their lane. Pretty soon here came smokey with his lights flashing. He blew right by me. He was looking for truck all lit up.

• Like 3

I'm a HAM... Amateur radio preceded CB by about 70 years... and is still going strong.

When 11-12 or so I had a good friend who had his license and radio all set up. He had cards from a lot of the folks tagged to his wall. Wish I could fin him now.

I'm a HAM... Amateur radio preceded CB by about 70 years... and is still going strong.

When 11-12 or so I had a good friend who had his license and radio all set up. He had cards from a lot of the folks tagged to his wall. Wish I could fin him now.

Doug try 411 people finder. I know that most of those people finders are crap unless you join but I have found a lot of my old Air Force buddies on there without joining. If you are really interested.

• Like 1

It has been so long. He got into Scouts with me for awhile, then quit and the next time I heard from him was when I got married the first time. 1976. His name is Sam Bearclaw and I am not sure of the spelling. He was really big into Ham Radio back then as kids though.