hi CDFLs

When filing my 2014 taxes (married filing seperatly) on Turbo Tax it wants me to enter my spouse's SSN. He doesn't have one. It is allowing me to leave the entry blank. Do we need to apply for an ITIN? He isn't going to file US taxes because he doesn't have any earned US income.

thanks

No, you don't need one unless you want to file jointly.

hi guys , sorry for asking too many questions about tax filing

as i said i am going to file my tax as "married filing seperatly " , but should my Foreign spouse also file tax while he has not have any US earned income or it is not necessary ?

thanks

The married, filing separately status does NOT require that both spouses file a return if one is below the threshold.

When you file married, filing jointly, you need to report ALL income.

When you file married, filing separately, the foreign spouse does not need to report foreign-sourced income, unless he has filed a return in the past. See Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens and Publication 501 (for Filing Requirements) for more information.

as i said i am going to file my tax as "married filing seperatly " , but should my Foreign spouse also file tax while he has not have any US earned income or it is not necessary ?

thanks

The married, filing separately status does NOT require that both spouses file a return if one is below the threshold.

When you file married, filing separately, the foreign spouse does not need to report foreign-sourced income, unless he has filed a return in the past. See Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens and Publication 501 (for Filing Requirements) for more information.

Thank you very much for your clear answer and explanation , my last question is on the foreign earned income form there is a question asks“ for what period your family has lived with you in tax year?” we have lived together for long time , and married since second quarter of 2014 which means became a family officially , what date should I write down ? all tax year that we have lived together(but for a part of that not being a family officially) or just date after marriage registration ?does it have any conflict with the other forms and documents which show we are living together for long time?

Thanks

thanks

Thank you very much for your clear answer and explanation , my last question is on the foreign earned income form there is a question asks“ for what period your family has lived with you in tax year?” we have lived together for long time , and married since second quarter of 2014 which means became a family officially , what date should I write down ? all tax year that we have lived together(but for a part of that not being a family officially) or just date after marriage registration ?does it have any conflict with the other forms and documents which show we are living together for long time?

Thanks

I don't see that question on the Form 2555-EZ - you might check out the possibility of using that instead of the 2555.

Even so, for tax purposes, if you were married on Dec. 31, you are considered married for the entire year, so I wouldn't see any problem with stating the entire year.