Is American ID necessary for our life??

Hello, I have my American driver's license as my ID here in the USA. But do I have to have an Identity Card in addition to my driver's license?? Thanks everyone

There is no national ID for US Citizens, most carry a driver's license, or a state ID if they do not drive, a state ID is the same as a driver's license only marked NON-Driver and in most states this card is free, or a very low fee to have produced. However US Citizens are not required to carry ID.

However green-card holders should carry their green-card.

Yes, you should ALWAYS have that green card with you. I have run into this with my ex, and if she did not have a photo copy of the green card with her at the time we could have had a little more trouble. She thought she was supposed to keep the green card in a safe place, WRONG. So now she carries it.

When you get close to one of our borders they have Border Patrol stations set up, and you must show it. You might be 100 miles from a border, but that is where they set up sometimes. I doubt you will ever have trouble in Oklahoma, unless the police want to see it. :)

I'm kind of same with your ex that I like to keep my green card home and safe. I carry a copy of my green card with me wherever I go. This is Chinese habit from taking too many public buses. Now we drive our own car, there should have no "pickpocket" problem. Yes, I'm safe at Ok. The cops don't come close to me as I have Candle Shining around me.

• Like 1

I'm kind of same with your ex that I like to keep my green card home and safe. I carry a copy of my green card with me wherever I go. This is Chinese habit from taking too many public buses. Now we drive our own car, there should have no "pickpocket" problem. Yes, I'm safe at Ok. The cops don't come close to me as I have Candle Shining around me.

My wife is the same. I mentioned carrying it to her a little while back and...........we'll just say that she said "no." :bop: :victory:

My wife is the same. I mentioned carrying it to her a little while back and...........we'll just say that she said "no." :bop: :victory:

If she works I hope she keeps it in her purse.

Take her up to the Canadian border and turn around at the border patrol station, or down here in the tip of Tejas. Better yet, just take I-8 to San Diego.

Maybe you can pick her up on the way back, if they are ready to let her go by then.

Oklahoma? I hate that part of Texas. I thought you were moving to Idaho.

There is no law that you must carry an ID card but legal permanent residents are required to carry their green card. Honestly my wife has never been asked for it except at the border going in and out of Canada and at the POE returning from China. Unless you are living in a border state I wouldn't worry about keeping your green card in a safe place.

• Like 1

Charles my friend! What's up?

Yes, Hong says the same. NO!!! keep in safe place.

Out here in the sticks of Ohio she has no need for her GC.

But when we do travel the GC travels too.

Mike

I stayed at Idaho for two weeks visiting my son, Carl. Now I'm at OK. If I have a state ID, I may not have to carry my green card whereever I go. State ID and my driver's license should be enough for me.

I stayed at Idaho for two weeks visiting my son, Carl. Now I'm at OK. If I have a state ID, I may not have to carry my green card whereever I go. State ID and my driver's license should be enough for me.

The State ID is generally a separate ID for those who don't HAVE a driver's license. If you already have a driver's license, the State ID would be redundant - even if it's from a different state.

A driver's license issued by any state is valid anywhere in the country - there is no advantage to having a second state-issued ID.

• Like 1

So, what would happen if you got a 2nd green card? Say you lost it. One to keep, one to carry. I actually used to do that with a DL, for some reason, I can't remember why.

$450 is a bit much to pay for a second card, especially if it is a 2 year conditional card.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-90

Many carry a photo copy of the card, even though there is a notation on it saying to not photocopy it.

Best to simply carry it and take care to not loose it. In my 30 years of driving I have never lost a drivers license.