Any tips for resume please

HI everyone,

hello Danb, helloTom, hello Doug, hello Credzba. hello Scott. hello Ronny Hello Randy!!

Thank you for your beautiful and practical ideas about resume job. I'm really learning a lot from you guys. Doug's list of universities is very encouraging for me. I do appreciate the names of the universities as my targets. Then Danb's "Chinese-teacher-want" is also a big comfort. Gosh, I miss you guys! I'm already settled at Tulsa and starting to like the city, slow and polite drivers and warm weather,etc. So I'll try those universities or schools next a couple of months. I'll shoot a PM to Credzba right now. Scott's professional job is impressive. I never knew you are such a VIP for me,

I went to several Chinese restaurants at Tulsa. Whenever I met a man who was eating at the restaurants and who looked similar to my age, I would imagine this guy must be Ronny, or Doug from CFL. Once i did ask a man who spoke Chinese to me if he knew CFL. He said he had never heard of it lol

From now on I'll focus on the resume job. Have a good day every one!

Catherine

Hey, one more question pls, everyone!

Is community college very low? I don't want to thrive anymore, as long as the college pays me money to buy food. Some one says Tusla Community College is not high in the social norms but I like to know if the benefit or salary is also lower than the other regular universities? thanks. I must make decision right now. I'm looking forward to your teaching again! You're all my precious teachers!!

Catherine

Yes, Bro, I was thinking the same with you. To find a bridge is the first step but Scott doesn't encourage me to be a job hopper lol

Thanks for taking the time helping me, Bro.

Yes, Bro, I was thinking the same with you. To find a bridge is the first step but Scott doesn't encourage me to be a job hopper lol

Thanks for taking the time helping me, Bro.

When your salary is low, I don't think others frown upon moving up. It is the same going from a community college to a university, how can anyone blame you or look down on this? Just stay at the better job for awhile. And maybe you have to stay at the college a few years anyway. Heck you may wind up teaching at both at the same time, and tutor or do at a private school for young kids. Many options.

Catherine, Hello. You say that you have to decide very quickly. Why is that? Sound like there may be an immediate opening. Is the offer for a job for a specific period of time? Is it a temporary job or a permanent one? Scott gives good advice about too much job hopping. Jumping from job to job too many times is not a good thing but on the other hand I would think once or twice is not going to hurt you too much. Especially if you give a good explanation. For instance, it was a temporary job, or you had to take the first job that came up because you were new to America and also that you were new to the job market. After the first or second job you should try to stay with it for a while.It should help you establish your work record. You also will be able to find out where the best teaching positions are. You can also start networking ( working on guanxi American style). It would be great if Scott has any suggestions on how often one can change jobs without looking like you are job hopping. Also maybe he can offer valid explanations for changing jobs.

As far as community colleges and such things as social norms, salaries and benefits may be differ. By how much they will differ I don't know. In the USA I believes teachers often belong to teacher unions. I am only guessing but the pay will be less at a CC. But the pays should be okay. With time, pay and opportunities should increase. Community colleges usually only offer two year degrees. They usually offer a more affordable education ( often a technical skill/trade). I have gone to community college and was able to to get some good jobs with my 2 year degree. Some 4 years college and university graduates may think less or look down at about CC graduates. In general it is probably consider to be more prestigious to teach at a university. But who cares!!

Good luck. Danb

BTW...Did everone REMEMBER to CHANGE their clocks? IT is DAYLIGHT SAVING time.

There is nothing wrong with a community college job. I have several friends who prefer working at the community college level rather than the university. But community colleges are moving more and more to part time workers to save on benefits. So if you can get a job there with benefits, I would go for it.

• Like 1

I've moved this topic to the Stateside forum - topics in the Classified forum won't show up as 'New Posts' and are automatically deleted after 30 days

I will ask that the Classifieds forum be deleted.

The Classifieds forum was created for members to offer items or services to other members. For instance if you had a Pimsleur language CD set you no longer wanted you could sell it there. Since no one uses it I have no objection to deleting it.

• 3 weeks later...

Catherine. Hello. How are you doing in OK? Are you okay? We heard about the tornado near Tulsa. I think we are all a little concerned how you weathered the storm. Perhaps if you have some time please let us know that you are ok. Are there tornadoes in China? You would think so but I have never remember reading about any. I hope you are safe and settling in. Danb

Catherine. Hello. How are you doing in OK? Are you okay? We heard about the tornado near Tulsa. I think we are all a little concerned how you weathered the storm. Perhaps if you have some time please let us know that you are ok. Are there tornadoes in China? You would think so but I have never remember reading about any. I hope you are safe and settling in. Danb

This article touches on that subject - http://www.citylab.com/weather/2014/06/can-we-stop-tornadoes-by-building-a-giant-wall/373268/

United States and China have similar geographic locations. In particular, the Northern China Plain and the Eastern China Plain is also in the zone of mixing, similar to Tornado Alley. However, very few violent tornadoes occur in this region of China because there are three east-west mountain ranges to protect these plains from tornado threat. The first one is 300km long Yan Mountain which lies at the northern boundary of these plains. The second one is 600km long Nanling (Nan Mountains) at the south boundary of these plains. The third one is 800km long Jiang-Huai Hills through the middle of the plains. Especially, Jiang-Huai Hills are only about 300 meters above sea level, but effectively eliminate the major tornado threat for the areas....

That doesn't entirely explain the effect, since it's cooler air spilling over the Rocky Mountains onto the Central Plains region, and mixing with the warmer air there in the summer months that causes tornadoes there.

Winter tornadoes can be caused by cold fronts from the North mixing with warmer air over the Gulf of Mexico.

The mountains themselves, though, DO tend to protect from the storm-force winds. I watched satellite images as one of the "storm of the century" typhoons came ashore north of Guangzhou. The typhoon was well-formed with a VERY clear eye, but broke up as it hit the shoreline, in a pattern almost exactly in the shape of the shoreline. A friend in Guangzhou said at the time that people there were unconcerned about the storm.

I'm told that Yulin has NEVER experienced hurricane-force winds.

Randy, Yulin is lucky to never had a hurricane or typhoon. Yulin is not that far from Nanning and I remember photo's of Nanning's typhoon storm being posted on CFL last year. It seems to me that the typhoons that hit southern China come from Philippines way. I have lived in New England for over 35 years. We don't normally have hurricanes or tornadoes. In fact for a time I thought tornadoes occur only in the plains states and Hurricanes came up from the gulf and Florida ways and never got up this far.. Dumb thoughts!! We have seen both. No fun in being either one. Mother nature has a lot of power when unleashed.

Still hoping that Catherine is safe.

Even though Oklahoma is not Kansas ( remembering the quote from the Wizard of Oz " Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.".has more than their share of tornadoes. ( sorry about the probable misquote and run on sentences but I wanted to somehow work "not in Kansas anymore" phrase. :whistling:

Dan B

Hello Danb, Hello Randy and everyone!

Thanks for caring! I've been doing good! I'm now practicing driving everyday on the street. Recent two days I was scared a lot. In the morning I was driving too far away from home without knowing where I was and turned to a "wrong way" accidentally. I was embarrassed a lot in front of other drivers on the street. On the same evening of the same scaring day, I heard a big siren outside believing it was a policeman's car flashing by. Then a friend called me telling me to hide myself in the bathroom, and it was the tornado warning siren. Gosh, I was frightened once more seeing the goose bump right away. Being in the dark bathroom for a few hours in the evening I had no fun. The electricity was cut off from the safety's sake. I'd remembered placing some drinking water and bread into the bathroom as well. Later the alert news kept telling the tornador would be over until after 3 AM. Hey, who cares? I went out of my bathrom and bravely directed myself to my comfortable bed, snoring. Who cares? The next morning I found myself still alive lol

I've been carefully thinking and preparing the job things but have not submitted my resume yet. The local people and the church have been good and helpful to me. Some of them recommanded me to some universities but still because of my specific difficulites, like driving, I want to give myself more time before I'll go and talk to the local schools. Yes, TCC wanted to see me days ago but I didn't go, still because of my own safety on the street. I don't want to rush myself to work before I'm confidently driving. This week officially I become a member of the nearby church and I promised to be a volunteer to teach them Chinese. BTW, have you guys known that a church member, (not regular visitors) enjoy free tax? From now on I'll enjoy free tax when purchasing products.

I'm nervous about jobs. I only know how to teach and have never done other jobs in my life. So I really have no idea what to do outside of school campus. Thank you for thinking of me, everyone! Wishing you the best!!

Catherine

Hello Joecy! How are you doing? I'm at Tulsa now, went through many difficulites. wishing you the best! Catherine