Form 1040 & poverty line

hello to CFLs

i am confused about poverty line , in order to assest the income whether higher than 125% of the Poverty line , which item in Form 1040 is the refrence ? item No.7 in "Income " section or item No.37 in "Adjusted Gross Income " section ?

if USC's foreign earned income be higher than 125% of povrty line , do we still need co-sponser ? we have decided to DCF and move to US together after visa issuance ,so we will not have any job or income in US at interview time.

thanks

Neither, On the 1040 it would be line 22 Total income, if you use 1040EZ then it would be Line 4 Adjusted gross income.

And in the case of DCF it is not what your income is abroad. even if it is well above the 125% line, the question is what will it be after your arrival in the USA and if you can support the immigrant after arriving in the USA. Having a job lined up, or even the same employer if you were working overseas for a US based employer is what the consulate is looking for.

No job, then a joint sponsor would be requested or showing sufficient liquid assets capable of supporting your family at, at least 125% poverty line for 3 years.

Lastly that 125% line is not a hard and fast, make or break rule, in many cases a person has a job in the states that makes just above that line and the consulate still demands a joint sponsor, they tend to look at the totality of the situation.

The majority of DCF cases use joint sponsors.

Note: The I-864 is needed at time of interview, not when filing the I-130 petition.