DCF and Cover Letter, plus 3 questions

Hey all,

I have found some sample cover letters here on CFL using the forums search, but I haven't come across one specific to DCF'ing. I'm planning to file next week so I'm organizing my documents now and writing up my cover letter.

I've used the I-130 Instructions PDF and the Guangzhou Consulate page on DCF'ing to come up with this list:

• I-130 + Continuation Sheets
  • G-325A of Petitioner + Continuation Sheets
  • G-325A of Beneficiary + Continuation Sheets
  • Marriage Certificate (Notarial Copy)
  • Birth Certificate of Beneficiary (Notarial Copy)
  • Birth Certificate of Petitioner (Photocopy)
  • Copy of Petitioner's Passport's Biographic Information Page
  • Copy of Beneficiary's Passport's Biographic Information Page
  • Passport-style photo of Petitioner
  • Passport-style photo of Beneficiary
  • Supporting Evidence to Prove Bona Fides

How does this look? What about police records? that's only for the DS-260 right? Will the Consulate want an original of the marriage notarial certificate and the birth notarial certificate or do they want a photocopy of the notarial certificates?

Do I need to include any financial documents such as tax transcripts and so on? That isn't necessary at this stage in the game, right; itsn't it for DS-260?

And some extra questions:

1. Regarding photocopies: I have photocopies (prints, really) from some friends in different provinces but I don't actually have the original documents. Will the Consulate accept these or must I have the original documents?
  2. Regarding continuation sheets and signatures: does my signature and date need to be on literally
    everything; photos, continuation sheets, photocopies of testimony letters, etc?
  3. Regarding pictures: is it necessary to write each name on the back of the picture or just the date, location, and a simple description like "ME with NAME'S family for Spring Festival"?

Thanks a million, everybody!

Best,

Jake

Edited by jwdoetsch (see edit history)

Here's question number 4: Are photocopies of testimony letters going to be accepted as evidence or should I submit the originals when filing instead?

Are photocopies of evidence fine as long as you bring the original evidence along, or are they really not going to look through the evidence for photocopies and look at the originals and then stamp/approve the photocopies?

Edited by jwdoetsch (see edit history)

I always say, evidence is evidence, whether original, copy, signed, notarized, or not. That is, submit what you have. It may be best to submit copies, and then have the originals on hand at the interview.

You are basically under oath when submitting evidence, so any "rules" are somewhat lax since that fact can carry as much weight as any signature or notarization. I think these formalities are greatly exaggerated in most of the online forums - submit what you have and can reasonable acquire without busting your buns to conform to someone's ideas about what is "necessary".

Two Answer your questions:

Financial documents such as tax transcripts, are attached to I-864 which is needed at the time of visa interview, not when filing the I-130.

1. Photo copies are fine, and see if you can get the originals to have in your "Kitchen Sink" to bring to the visa interview.
  2. No, Just a notation on the continuation noting which form it pertains to and which line on the form.
  3. We did, I timestamped the pictures and made a few simple notes on the back of them, you could also simply print out a contact sheet with several pictures on each sheet making the notes below each picture.

Here's question number 4: Are photocopies of testimony letters going to be accepted as evidence or should I submit the originals when filing instead?

Are photocopies of evidence fine as long as you bring the original evidence along, or are they really not going to look through the evidence for photocopies and look at the originals and then stamp/approve the photocopies?

Use photo copies of all documents, and bring originals to the interview, basically USCIS tends to keep the documents so if it is something you cannot afford to part with give them a photocopy.

If you do give them a document and you want it back you would file a G-844 which may or may not get the document(s) back.

From USCIS:

Where to File

If your case is pending, submit your Form G-884 to the USCIS district, suboffice, or service center that is currently processing your case. If a final decision has been issued, submit the Form G-884 to the USCIS office or service center that took the last action on your case. See the form instructions for more information.

http://www.uscis.gov/g-884