Spouse present at filing?

Hey all,

What are your experiences bringing your spouse with you to the Embassy or Consulate when initially filing your petition? I talked with the Guangzhou DHS/USCIS phone operator and they said that of course the spouse can come but it isn't a requirement. I figure it would be helpful if there are any questions that need to be asked, but it's really quite expensive traveling around China at this time (specifically coming back from Guangzhou because of all the migrant factory workers returning home for the holiday). So, I wanted to know your experiences having or not having your spouse join you when filing.

And a second question; have any of you used passport photos from China on filing? The quality is usually horrible and they do so much Photoshop work that it ends up being fakey looking.

-J

1) No, foreign spouse is not needed to be there when you file the I-130 petition, pretty much is is a simple process of turning in the package.

2) Yes, we used passport photos taken in China, not a problem for the petition filing and not a problem later for the visa interview.

. . . and yes, I used Chinese passport photos for my American passport, which were mildly Photoshopped to remove 5 o'clock shadows and dimples. We had to take them back and get them reprinted with the correct size 2"x2" and a WHITE background (Photoshopped in, of course). Just keep an eye on that for anything too extreme.

Did you guys take your spouse, though? Could you foresee any reason why it would help if the spouse was present?

To file a petition, no, you will be dealing with a clerk that will simply check to see if everything is in your package and take the filing fee.

However, there is a second reason to bring your spouse to the consulate, that is to get a certified copy of her passport and national ID to attach to the W-7 to apply for an ITIN when you file a joint tax return.

• Like 1

Did you guys take your spouse, though? Could you foresee any reason why it would help if the spouse was present?

To file a petition, no, you will be dealing with a clerk that will simply check to see if everything is in your package and take the filing fee.

However, there is a second reason to bring your spouse to the consulate, that is to get a certified copy of her passport and national ID to attach to the W-7 to apply for an ITIN when you file a joint tax return.

Good call, but we weren't married by the end of 2014, so I've already filed my 2014 taxes as single. We will be able to get her an SSN when applying for the DS-230, right?

Good call, but we weren't married by the end of 2014, so I've already filed my 2014 taxes as single. We will be able to get her an SSN when applying for the DS-230, right?

No - you can check the box, asking for an SS card which MAY be mailed after processing at the U.S. POE, but generally, people find that they need to apply at the SS office themselves, after allowing time for her immigration files to show up in the SS computers - the SS number WON'T be issued until this happens.