Marriageability Affidavit Acquired Today

Easy stress-free process and I now have my Marriageability Affidavit in hand.

A couple weeks ago I made an appointment on the Beijing Embassy website in order to get this completed.

Last week I sent the Embassy an email asking if I had to bring my own document, or if they have documents at the embassy. They congratulated me on my nuptials, and said they have documents there and I can fill it out after arriving.

Thankfully I did not have to wait in line with the hundreds of Chinese in line for visa interviews, and I walked right into the embassy.

On the 2nd floor at the American Citizens Services reception window, I said I was here for the Marriageability Affidavit, and the gentleman gave me the simple form to fill out. Basically just like all the samples referenced in this thread:

I returned to the reception window with the form and was directed to go pay my $50.

After waiting less than 5 minutes, I was called up by a consular officer, and we both signed the document, stamped and "punched" it, and that was it.

A little small talk about where my lady is from, how long I've been in Beijing, etc., but nothing else. No questions about any past relationships or documentation or anything else - which as many have pointed out, is not necessary, because you're swearing under oath that you're single and eligible to marry.

In going to the Marriage Registration Bureau (or whatever it's called), all I'll need is this affidavit and my passport, nothing else - at least in Chengdu.

Although my lady is from Xichang in Sichuan province, they can't process marriages with foreigners there, so we'll be in Chengdu for a couple days to get married in the run-up to the Chinese New Year before continuing south to Xichang. We'll also be going to Lu Gu Hu for a few days - I can't wait to return to Lu Gu Hu for a visit (one of my lady's uncles married a woman from there), a small minority village in the mountains and the place where I've seen the most and brightest stars in my life, and when back in the US I'm a pretty frequent camper and National Park visitor! But I digress.........

Anyways, that's my brief write-up, nothing complicated at all, and glad to have this in hand!

Dan~~

Awesome Congratulations!

In going to the Marriage Registration Bureau (or whatever it's called), all I'll need is this affidavit and my passport, nothing else - at least in Chengdu.

And some RMB :happydance:

Hahaha, thanks!! :victory: :victory:

Congratulations! This is pretty much what my wife and I did almost 9 years ago, except we lived in Shanghai, her hometown was a big third-tier city in Hunan, and we got married in Changsha also over the Chinese New Year vacation.

Thanks!! And yep, haha, sounds like we're going down the same rode, except I switched out Shanghai/Changsha for Beijing/Chengdu! Never made it to Changsha yet, but hope to some day.

Thanks!! And yep, haha, sounds like we're going down the same rode, except I switched out Shanghai/Changsha for Beijing/Chengdu! Never made it to Changsha yet, but hope to some day.

It's a nice city, and the people are charming... but of course I'm biased :)

• Like 1

Great news Dan on the step towards the marriage. Really nuthin' to it, eh? Getting married in China was a ball for us.From the marriage bureau being located in the Caca Hotel to all of the girls we had to stand in front of and give all of our paperwork to watched them put their stamp on and pass off to another gal, again and again (one gal we gave our paperwork to 3 or 4 times. It was a pleasurable riot, on to having our photos taken after we read the worn out plastic card that told us how to act as a married couple, and the dusty plastic flowers Wenyan was given to hold for one of the photos. It was great fun.. Oh yeah, there was one young gal in the row of marriage bureau women who was curled up in her chair ....asleep. I thought she was waiting on her mother to get off of work or something....NO...she was the woman you gave your money to. And, to be honest, neither one of us knew exactly which of the two days we were there, that they put down as our actual official marriage date. Only when we read the final red books did we find out our date. I wouldn't trade our Chinese wedding for anything...much better than anything we'd have done in America. And, on our way out the door, when everything was stamped, turned into red books, etc....one of the lovely young women who was in the process of getting married (a real knock out China doll) followed us out the marriage bureau door door and with a blushing red face told me in english..."you are a very pretty and beautiful man". I about passed out....Wenyan jerked my arm, and myself back into reality, and drug my swooning butt down the steps. I said "thank you" on my way down the steps. :victory:

Good luck to you my good man. Enjoy the joy.

tsap seui

Guest SloppyZhou_

Leave it to the consulates to call it a "Marriageability Affidavit."

Of course, when you read it, there is nothing contained within that states how marriable you happen to be. No scale of 1-10, and no grading of A-F. Just a short verbal speech about how the consulates think the whole process is a waste of time, but they have to do it, because China says so.

Edited by SloppyZhou_ (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Great news Dan on the step towards the marriage. Really nuthin' to it, eh? Getting married in China was a ball for us.From the marriage bureau being located in the Caca Hotel to all of the girls we had to stand in front of and give all of our paperwork to watched them put their stamp on and pass off to another gal, again and again (one gal we gave our paperwork to 3 or 4 times. It was a pleasurable riot, on to having our photos taken after we read the worn out plastic card that told us how to act as a married couple, and the dusty plastic flowers Wenyan was given to hold for one of the photos. It was great fun.. Oh yeah, there was one young gal in the row of marriage bureau women who was curled up in her chair ....asleep. I thought she was waiting on her mother to get off of work or something....NO...she was the woman you gave your money to. And, to be honest, neither one of us knew exactly which of the two days we were there, that they put down as our actual official marriage date. Only when we read the final red books did we find out our date. I wouldn't trade our Chinese wedding for anything...much better than anything we'd have done in America. And, on our way out the door, when everything was stamped, turned into red books, etc....one of the lovely young women who was in the process of getting married (a real knock out China doll) followed us out the marriage bureau door door and with a blushing red face told me in english..."you are a very pretty and beautiful man". I about passed out....Wenyan jerked my arm, and myself back into reality, and drug my swooning butt down the steps. I said "thank you" on my way down the steps. :victory:

Good luck to you my good man. Enjoy the joy.

tsap seui

Thanks Tsapper, much appreciated!! :)

I'll be sure to keep you updated on our journey. Hope you have been doing well lately!

Dan~