Claiming Earned Income Tax Credit while living/working abroad

heohoel

What's up guys?

I'm preparing my taxes for tax year 2014 now and I really would like to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit. To qualify, I've chosen not to file the Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion), which is fine because my deductions pretty much negate any tax due. However, the last qualification that must be met is "living in the US for at least 6 months." I've researched and researched but I'm coming up short on how the IRS defines living in the US versus living abroad. I've been in China for about 331 days in 2014 (so I could qualify for the FEIE if I wanted...), but I only worked for 6 months out of those 331 days... the other time was spent traveling around China and I also traveled out of the country for a little over a month.

Anyway, I guess my question is this: have any of you claimed the EITC while living and working in China? Have any of you received advice from an accountant on this issue or something similar?

-heohoel

If you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, I would be surprised if you could also claim to have lived in the U.S. for six months.

Please refer questions like this to an accountant or attorney for LEGAL advice, rather than to try to drum up support for a tax avoidance scheme.