Document confusion for DCF / Green card application from within China

I have been reading a lot of information. My wife has been reading a lot of information, in Chinese. We live in Xi'an, China. What has been happening is that I have been getting more and more confused.

When I wrote to the consulate in Guangzhou, they wrote back that the only documents that needed were the certificates of marriage. That usually became a "white book ֤." All other documents only needed to be certified by the translator.

I got the distinct impression, when looking at the U.S. websites, there were only TWO times documents were submitted in the process: 1) When the I-130 is submitted; and 2) at the time of the interview. Are there other times and places for submitting documents leading up the issuance of the temporary green card?

The minimum documents to be submitted when the I-130 is submitted is rather clear. But a lot of folk on these forums state that the decision for granting a green card is usually decided by the time of the interview. So does that mean that letters stating written by those who know us are to be submitted at the time the I-130 is submitted?

Do Chinese know the difference between notarization and certification? My wife, as well as a friend's wife, who both are looking forward to my friend and I getting them green cards, seem to find that every document needs notarization ֤. Is this a language problem? Or is this a situation where the embassy website is not up-to-date with the current requirements? This is really confusing. If the police report needs a notarized translation, as well as the divorce papers from other divorces, then that is what I need. But if those only need certification, then I'll be wasting a lot of money and time.

In the "Guide to IR-1 (DCF)," it states in step three the preparation of "supplemental documents," without saying what they are.

The Guangzhou embassy told me that if my wife had a passport, then there was no need for a birth certificate. Is that actual not true? Also, my wife's passport has the biographical page already with a English in each significant field. Does this really need a notarized translation for what is already translated in the original document?

Finally, is there any one list of ALL the documents needed for the entire process for getting that first temporary green card?

I have some other questions and confusion, but I'll await for replies to this before adding them. Thank you in advance.

The "White book" formats are what you need - don't confuse yourself with the jargon - notaries in China serve a different purpose than their American counterparts. Sorry but I can't post more information from where I am.

The white book format is needed for the birth certificate, marriage certificates, and police reports - so called "official" documents.

Yes - this format INCLUDES an English translation of things that may seem obvious - "father", "mother", etc.

Per the I-130 Instructions the letters from friends and family are submitted with the I-130.

The embassy or you may be confusing the Passport/Birth cert requirement, US Citizen to prove citizenship only needs to provide BIO page from passport OR birth cert, however beneficiary getting the visa has to provide both at time of interview.

No need for translation of passport, only documents that are in chinese (Birth Cert, Police Cert, Divorce Cert, etc)

List of Documents: http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/uploads/images/3a228Sf5B6i8Sq-HupGc2A/2._OF-169.pdf

Translations only need to be certified. Per USCIS

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing(Lots of good tips for preparing petition for submission)

The Notary office whey you will get birth cert, marriage cert, etc can and will do certified English translations.

Again nothing needs to be "notarized".

I have been reading a lot of information. My wife has been reading a lot of information, in Chinese. We live in Xi'an, China. What has been happening is that I have been getting more and more confused.

When I wrote to the consulate in Guangzhou, they wrote back that the only documents that needed were the certificates of marriage. That usually became a "white book ֤." All other documents only needed to be certified by

I got the distinct impression, when looking at the U.S. websites, there were only TWO times documents were submitted in the process: 1) When the I-130 is submitted; and 2) at the time of the interview. Are there other times and places for submitting documents leading up the issuance of the temporary green card?

The minimum documents to be submitted when the I-130 is submitted is rather clear. But a lot of folk on these forums state that the decision for granting a green card is usually decided by the time of the interview. So does that mean that letters stating written by those who know us are to be submitted at the time the I-130 is submitted?

Do Chinese know the difference between notarization and certification? My wife, as well as a friend's wife, who both are looking forward to my friend and I getting them green cards, seem to find that every document needs notarization ֤. Is this a language problem? Or is this a situation where the embassy website is not up-to-date with the current requirements? This is really confusing. If the police report needs a notarized translation, as well as the divorce papers from other divorces, then that is what I need. But if those only need certification, then I'll be wasting a lot of money and time.

In the "Guide to IR-1 (DCF)," it states in step three the preparation of "supplemental documents," without saying what they are.

The Guangzhou embassy told me that if my wife had a passport, then there was no need for a birth certificate. Is that actual not true? Also, my wife's passport has the biographical page already with a English in each significant field. Does this really need a notarized translation for what is already translated in the original document?

Finally, is there any one list of ALL the documents needed for the entire process for getting that first temporary green card?

I have some other questions and confusion, but I'll await for replies to this before adding them. Thank you in advance.

The consulate DOES NOT dictate standards for the Chinese documents - they are issued to international standards. The consulate KNOWS what to expect and ACCEPTS these documents

Certified translation should be sufficient. In the case of China I believe the notary office will do the transition of divorce documents.