What Your State¡¯s Name Means

Thomas Promise

Oh, yes, Dennis, exactly, I want to learn and know more about the football that is going through all over America from September to January. I hear it's very complicated to know about. I've never had chances yet to watch or learn anything about it. Not other sports either. oh, I've learned to know rodeo that cowboys love to do.

I also plan to learn the card game Bridge.

Hope these dreams come true for me pretty soon.

Could anyone please give me some English terms for me to learn the football? I have to get rid of the language barrier first.

have a good day everyone!

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)

Oh, yes, Dennis, exactly, I want to learn and know more about the football that is going through all over America from September to January. I hear it's very complicated to know about. I've never had chances yet to watch or learn anything about it. Not other sports either. oh, I've learned to know rodeo that cowboys love to do.

I also plan to learn the card game Bridge.

Hope these dreams come true for me pretty soon.

Could anyone please give me some English terms for me to learn the football? I have to get rid of the language barrier first.

have a good day everyone!

Yajie, in simple terms, with football, the team with the ball has 4 tries (downs) to move the ball forward 10 yards. If they gain the 10 yards, they must try again to move it another 10 yards (the field is marked in yards). If they cannot move the ball 10 yards, they will punt (kick) (on their 4th down) the ball down the field to the other team who will then try to move the ball forward 10 yards at a time. :) The object is to get the ball in the end zone to score 6 points. The field is 100 yards long.

Very simple.

• Like 1

Texas was basically from the word of the Caddo Indian tribe Tejas which means FRIENDS. Our motto is Friendship, or the friendship state, even though most Texans prefer that we are the lone star state, represented by our flag with one star - and freedom/liberty boils in our veins, generally, so 66-72% of Texans are pretty upset with USA laws and policies, I would say. You will find folks a bit entrepreneurial in their thinking here compared to some other states I have lived in. Less road blocks in their thinking about what they can or cannot do in life.

But for a more official reading about all our names (tejas, tayshas, texias, thecas?, techan, teysas, techas?): http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/pft04

Football is hands down the #1 sport in Texas with elementary schools playing their teams against each other, and NOTHING is better than Texas high school playoffs held every year in the stadium built for the Dallas Cowboys. With few exceptions, it is all out football until the game is over, by teams who are used to winning. The looser takes it pretty hard, so those boys play their hearts out, with many 4th down conversions instead of kicking the ball to the other team. Also many trick plays that surprise. Great to watch and spend all day at the stadium for 15 bucks. 3 games per day.

• Like 2

Xiexie peng you men! I'll seriously spend some time studying American football. I'm really active with outdoor activities.

Xiexie gewei pengyou!!

Dajia zhoumo yukuai!!

Catherineli, to help out, here is an official US map from 1948 to give you a true perspective of things. I have seen the oranges as large as grapefruit in magic valley and ate one. This summer I plan a visit to Amarillo to tour the North Pole. Click to enlarge, then save pic to your computer to enlarge and read about Juan Montes, the near sighted Eskimo.

http://i58.tinypic.com/1036977.jpg

Edited by Doug (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Catherineli, to help out, here is an official US map from 1948 to give you a true perspective of things. I have seen the oranges as large as grapefruit in magic valley and ate one. This summer I plan a visit to Amarillo to tour the North Pole. Click to enlarge, then save pic to your computer to enlarge and read about Juan Montes, the near sighted Eskimo.

http://i58.tinypic.com/1036977.jpg

Yajie, It is not uncommon for Texans to over emphasize the size of their state. It is common knowledge that Texans do this to compensate for their universally known shortcomings. :sosad: Further evidence is found by the many monster trucks driven by Texans. :)

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Hi Dough,

Thank you very much for this special map! I love maps very much. I've saved it to my computer. Please allow me to show off my teaching skill. I used to memorize the location and name of each state on the American map and I drew it on the chalkboard with my eyes closed. It was in the past when I was teaching American culture related to some states. Recent years, we use power point to illustrate some states on the map. I don't have to draw the map anymore. Here are some questions for you,

(1) do you mean the oranges you ate are as tiny as a grape? what is the difference between an orange and a tangerine? I see them the same. I didn't find magic valley on the map.

(2) You said you plan to visit Amarillo, which is a city in the north of Texas. But you also said you want to go to the North Pole? Are you going to start from Amarillo up north to the arctic of the earth?? lol, sounds super great!

(3) Do you mean the Eskimos are nearsighted like me who wears glasses? LOL, you said so. Juan Montes? I'll check out Juan Montes.

Dennis, I know you're being funny teasing Doug. But I can't see your humor. Sorry to tell you so. Perhaps Doug is exaggerating or stretching his Taxes to the arctic. LOL What do monsters trucks do? Do they also drive their trucks to the north pole??? so hilarious now-------

English is not difficult for me but the different humor from different culture is a subtle challenge to me.

Zaijian pengyou men!!

Edited by Catherineli (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Dough,

Thank you very much for this special map! I love maps very much. I've saved it to my computer. Please allow me to show off my teaching skill. I used to memorize the location and name of each state on the American map and I drew it on the chalkboard with my eyes closed. It was in the past when I was teaching American culture related to some states. Recent years, we use power point to illustrate some states on the map. I don't have to draw the map anymore. Here are some questions for you,

(1) do you mean the oranges you ate are as tiny as a grape? what is the difference between an orange and a tangerine? I see them the same. I didn't find magic valley on the map.

(2) You said you plan to visit Amarillo, which is a city in the north of Texas. But you also said you want to go to the North Pole? Are you going to start from Amarillo up north to the arctic of the earth?? lol, sounds super great!

(3) Do you mean the Eskimos are nearsighted like me who wears glasses? LOL, you said so. Juan Montes? I'll check out Juan Montes.

Dennis, I know you're being funny teasing Doug. But I can't see your humor. Sorry to tell you so. Perhaps Doug is exaggerating or stretching his Taxes to the arctic. LOL What do monsters trucks do? Do they also drive their trucks to the north pole??? so hilarious now-------

English is not difficult for me but the different humor from different culture is a subtle challenge to me.

Zaijian pengyou men!!

I live in Texas, so I'll try to provide some explanation.

Texas was its own country before United States assimilated us (wrongly in most Texans opinion).

Texas was the largest state until Alaska was added, but Texans have never gotten over it, and they ignore Alaska, and pretend Texas is still the largest.

Many Texans believe their state is not only the largest, but in their mind Texas is as large as on Doug's map .. basically all of the USA is Texas, with a few smaller states surrounding it.

In addition, Texans believe everything that is in Texas is bigger and better than in any other state.

His example of oranges as big as grapefruit (I think the Chinese fruit would be saying an orange as big as a you zi (spelling?) ), he is just bragging that everything is bigger in Texas.

Trucks fall into this same discussion. Many people in Texas have trucks. The functional reason was to haul hay for horses and cattle. In reality few people live on ranches, and the trucks just act as a symbol of how tough and strong these Texan men think they are.

Monster truck is just furthering that same discussion, they buy a regular truck, add HUGE tires, strong engine, and drive like maniacs... Again, bigger and stronger than everyone else.

So, when Doug said he would go to Amarillo, Texas, and visit the north pole, he was implying that Texas is so large, the northern most point reaches to the top of the world.

All in all, it is Texas bragging. Its done a lot, and mostly in fun...

(Though I should tell you if your moving to America, and not to Texas, you should seriously consider not moving to America.

All that is good, and great about America is in Texas ... the rest of those states .. not so much ) :mobile:

• Like 2

Hi Dough,

Zaijian pengyou men!!

I live in Texas, so I'll try to provide some explanation.

Texas was its own country before United States assimilated us (wrongly in most Texans opinion).

Texas was the largest state until Alaska was added, but Texans have never gotten over it, and they ignore Alaska, and pretend Texas is still the largest.

Many Texans believe their state is not only the largest, but in their mind Texas is as large as on Doug's map .. basically all of the USA is Texas, with a few smaller states surrounding it.

In addition, Texans believe everything that is in Texas is bigger and better than in any other state.

His example of oranges as big as grapefruit (I think the Chinese fruit would be saying an orange as big as a you zi (spelling?) ), he is just bragging that everything is bigger in Texas.

Trucks fall into this same discussion. Many people in Texas have trucks. The functional reason was to haul hay for horses and cattle. In reality few people live on ranches, and the trucks just act as a symbol of how tough and strong these Texan men think they are.

Monster truck is just furthering that same discussion, they buy a regular truck, add HUGE tires, strong engine, and drive like maniacs... Again, bigger and stronger than everyone else.

So, when Doug said he would go to Amarillo, Texas, and visit the north pole, he was implying that Texas is so large, the northern most point reaches to the top of the world.

All in all, it is Texas bragging. Its done a lot, and mostly in fun...

(Though I should tell you if your moving to America, and not to Texas, you should seriously consider not moving to America.

All that is good, and great about America is in Texas ... the rest of those states .. not so much ) :mobile:

Oil patch is going belly up now just like in 1986 oil price collapse Texas will lose some of its favor because of this.