Cleavage Out, Close-ups In

Censor’s cleavage cuts in Chinese TV costume drama spark calls for rating system

Out:

1-1.jpg?itok=ujDyXqm1

Censored version:

1-2.jpg?itok=7QbdyHfx

Calls for a rating system for Chinese television dramas have grown after online backlash over censors cutting all cleavage from scenes in a popular TV drama about China’s only female emperor.

The drama, The Empress of China, also known as the Saga of Wu Zetian - renamed “The Saga of Wu’s Breasts” by social media bloggers - was pulled from the schedules of commercial satellite station Hunan TV for “technical reasons” late last month, Xinhua reported.

When it returned a few days later, the show, starring the famous Chinese actress Fan Bingbing in the title role of Wu Zetian – who ruled in the Tang dynasty (618-907) – had been conspicuously edited.

Scenes of female characters, with cleavage showing dressed in period costume, had been cropped out – leaving only close-ups of their heads.

Mainland media said it showed it was time to introduce a rating system for TV dramas; China also has no rating system covering films released in cinemas, which are reviewed and sometimes re-edited before screening.

Some social media bloggers also argued that the drama had been too sexy for children who were watching the show.

The Global Times insisted that a system of control was necessary. “The reality is that censorship exists in many countries and it is unlikely to be reversed in China,” it wrote.

An editorial on the bjnews.com, the website of The Beijing News, said the lack of any rating system was the reason why the drama had been censored.

2-1.jpg?itok=RF46Rndm

Even the slight hint of chest in this scene, featuring famous actress Li Bingbing..

.2-2.jpg?itok=HYMXvVx5

... prompted censors to crop it out altogether.

. . .

3-1.jpg?itok=B_vurBpG

Bosomy scenes like this are a big no-no for China's censors ...

3-2.jpg?itok=7xAdmOIA

... But Chinese netizens mocked the decision by censors to edit the scenes, calling the drama “The Saga of Wu’s Squeezed Breasts”.

• 7 months later...

In some quarters, cleavage is definitely IN.

from the Shanghaiist on Facebook

Who has the world's best breasts?
Updated 4 hours ago
The finals of the 5th Annual International Breast Model Contest were held in Hefei, Anhui province over the weekend.

The final 12 contestants showed off their bountiful bosoms in formal, lingerie and swimwear.

Curvaceous contestant #8 was deemed to have the breast ones of the bunch. The young woman had her implants done just before the pageant.

11925998_10153634956241030_4842383061346

11012966_10153634957496030_5140052598911

"The young woman had her implants done just before the pageant." Egads man, shades of Caitlin her/his owndamnself !!!!!!!!!!!!! Lord God Billy Bob, how Mr. John Thomas doth suffer from shrinkage....and it ain't from cold water Jerry !! That poor gal looks like she has four tubes of General Electric silicone caulk in each breast. If the fair ladies of Chinartucky are vying to be like the rough women of an episode of "Real Women of New York City" I could only hope they had the "plastic surgeons" at least use water soluble LATEX caulk like is found in DAPP's latex painter's caulk products.

Havin' walked, and even run, around the dang block more than a few times in my lusty yute....curious to explore feminine kind in their various forms, I must ask, anyone else here ever closed their grimy paws in the thoughts of lust upon a pair of what you had thought were flesh encased fat and muscle but in reality were bags of silicone or plastic bags of sterile water? Alas, it...I mean...they, just ain't the same, I tells ya :sweating_buckets: Oh the horror.....the horror. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah, beautiful Hefei, Anhui - it is where Li and I met and fell in love. We lived there our first year in China, but moved to Guangdong the following year as Anhui was, at that time, a bit too conservative for our taste. Looks like things have changed somewhat since 1997-98, when we were there. :Taking_photo:

I must ask, anyone else here ever closed their grimy paws in the thoughts of lust upon a pair of ...

Nope.

This being Sunday morning, a sermon could follow. But, I think the short of it is "to each his or her own".

I like "real" in all ways, including wood furniture, food that does not come in a box, and a natural and real - if not flawed - partner.

Fiance's aunt asked her yesterday: "do you really know him? Do you know his salary?"

"Do you know his salary" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Nothing about, is he a good man, are you in love with him etc,etc. Straight to the ole salary. That is so, so very typical. Money first love way down there somewhere. :giggle: The way it usually goes is: 1. Does he have a good job making a lot of money? 2. Does he have a big house that is paid for? 3. Does he have an expensive car that is paid for? 4. Does he have money in the bank? 5. Is his family well connected? Then if he has all these things it might be ok to fall in love with him if possible.

Now this is all in fun but it is certainly true for some of them. They are the one's that you have to weed out.

"Do you know his salary" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Nothing about, is he a good man, are you in love with him etc,etc. Straight to the ole salary. That is so, so very typical. Money first love way down there somewhere. :giggle: The way it usually goes is: 1. Does he have a good job making a lot of money? 2. Does he have a big house that is paid for? 3. Does he have an expensive car that is paid for? 4. Does he have money in the bank? 5. Is his family well connected? Then if he has all these things it might be ok to fall in love with him if possible.

Now this is all in fun but it is certainly true for some of them. They are the one's that you have to weed out.

Partially it is our cultural differences once again.

When I first "showed interest" in the lady who is now my lovely wife, I did a search to see if I could find any irregularities around the web.

I found she had entries on some of the Chinese dating sites.

On the Chinese sites she listed her age, height, .. maybe weight, job position, and income.

There was no picture on the Chinese site.

We don't think this way, but the Chinese see it as perfectly normal to know the salary of potential partners.

I guess more important than what they look like.

• Like 1

We don't think this way, but the Chinese see it as perfectly normal to know the salary of potential partners.

I guess more important than what they look like.

Yes, and it is quite common for the women to directly ask the others (friends) what their husband makes too. When talking about their children, it is almost like bragging rights (in our eyes) to talk about their job position and how much they make.