10 Year U.S. Travel Visa in Hand!

With the new visa regulations in place for the 10 year travel visa to the U.S., last month my lady (Jian Wen) decided to apply for one. In September 2013 we had previously traveled back to my home in Milwaukee together for about 15 days to meet and visit with my friends and family.

For this reason we did not have to apply at the U.S. Embassy, but instead directly dropped off the materials at the bank. She first filled out and submitted the DS-160 form online. We could have paid the fee for the visa online, but for some reason we were having computer problems, so went directly to the bank to pay. After paying we returned home to print out the Drop Box Confirmation Letter (which could only be printed after paying) and went back to the bank with this confirmation letter, passport, her passport pictures, her printed out DS-160 form, and we also wrote up with an intended itinerary for our next visit. Did not submit anything else.

Painless and very easy procedure, well, except for our computer problems and having to first make a trip to the bank to pay.

She submitted everything at the bank on December 16.

In checking the status of the visa application online each day,

12/17 - no status

12/18 - no status

12/19 - ready

12/20 - ready

12/21 - ready

12/22 - administrative processing

12/23 - issued

Upon seeing the visa was issued on the online updates, we were ecstatic. At the start of the process, we were told that when the visa arrived back in Beijing at the bank, the bank would call us and we could go pick it up. Apparently all applications submitted in this manner directly to banks across China are then sent to Guangzhou for processing, and then mailed back to the bank after the visa is issued.

However, after about a week of not being contacted, yesterday we called the bank and asked if they had any updates, and they said her passport arrived at the bank on December 24, and we could come pick it up anytime.

Don't know why we were not informed we could go pick it up, but, hmmmm, oh well, just happy to have the visa!

We plan to get married in February in returning back to Jian Wen's home in Sichuan during the Spring Festival, but thereafter will remain in China for the next few years to continue to build up our business. So, having this 10 year U.S. visa already in passport is amazing, and be it just traveling or reasons otherwise (health problems for family members or whatever), we can buy plane tickets and be on a plane the next day without having to worry about her visa.

Also, in her travel visa application materials last year and once again last month, we were completely honest and did not try and play any games. In her application last year, we stated that we were traveling back to my hometown together, plan to visit my friends and family, and then return back to Beijing together because that's where our lives and jobs are currently; even though it was 'just' a travel visa, we submitted evidence as if we were going through the DCF process in order to prove our relationship, and at the same time paint the picture that at this moment in time Beijing is where our lives are. We did this to show that even though Jian Wen is young, not married but in a relationship with me, renters, no car, etc., we were just traveling to the US for a visit and had no intention of using the travel visa for other purposes. Thankfully, all went smoothly with the application and her interview, and we got the visa!

Hmmmm, I think that is about it. Just thought I'd share our experience if there is anybody else out there looking to apply for a US travel visa.

Great news for you guys Dan. I'm very happy to hear this. And congrats on the upcoming wedding. Also, I hope the business is getting a good start for you guys.

Fengqi and I just made the online DS-160 app online a couple of days ago for a friend in China. He went to the bank the same day and paid the $160usd fee, we took his receipt number and got him an interview in Shenyang for Feb 27. Got our fingers crossed that he too gets lucky.

I have always thought it would make much more sense if a Chinese woman could get a visitors visa for say 3 months (if her boyfriend was going to file a K-1 app) so she could at least get a taste of and see if she even wanted to live in America after seeing how the guy ran his life, and how he lived....without having to go through the procedure in Guangzhou, and then be rushed into a marriage if she got a K-1 award. Then again, logic has nothing to do with governmental thinking.

It would sure save some Chinese women from having their first glance at how some American men actually live in the real world, plus being legally bound to marriage in a short time... or run back to a China that they had already given up their jobs and homes for over some K-1 visa, if they suddenly find that their man's idea of "paradise" ain't exactly what they had in mind from his talking during his one or two short phantasy trips to meet her. :rotfl: Oh well, somes lucky, some ain't.

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Thanks for the detail there. It may be about time to trade in Jiaying's 10 year green card for one of these.

Great job, and thanks for reporting back!

Thanks Randy!

Great news for you guys Dan. I'm very happy to hear this. And congrats on the upcoming wedding. Also, I hope the business is getting a good start for you guys.

Fengqi and I just made the online DS-160 app online a couple of days ago for a friend in China. He went to the bank the same day and paid the $160usd fee, we took his receipt number and got him an interview in Shenyang for Feb 27. Got our fingers crossed that he too gets lucky.

I have always thought it would make much more sense if a Chinese woman could get a visitors visa for say 3 months (if her boyfriend was going to file a K-1 app) so she could at least get a taste of and see if she even wanted to live in America after seeing how the guy ran his life, and how he lived....without having to go through the procedure in Guangzhou, and then be rushed into a marriage if she got a K-1 award. Then again, logic has nothing to do with governmental thinking.

It would sure save some Chinese women from having their first glance at how some American men actually live in the real world, plus being legally bound to marriage in a short time... or run back to a China that they had already given up their jobs and homes for over some K-1 visa, if they suddenly find that their man's idea of "paradise" ain't exactly what they had in mind from his talking during his one or two short phantasy trips to meet her. :rotfl: Oh well, somes lucky, some ain't.

tsap seui

Thanks on all fronts, Tsapper, sincerely appreciate it! And good luck to your friend for his interview!

The business is going well. If you would have told me at this time last year we'd have a profitable company and be looking forward to a hopefully even better year in 2015, I'd have thought you were insane! It was pretty stressful to say the least this year from March through July after quitting our previous work and doing preparatory work (designing our website, learning how to navigate customs, researching factories, etc.) with our only income coming from freelance translation (me) and design (her) projects. Nevertheless, we made it through, and we began to get our first customers in the fall. Still have to pinch myself and remind myself its all real. Definitely not making the big bucks yes, but, perhaps in time.........have to start somewhere.