An Editorial from the Global Times on "The interview"

Making fun of Kim shows lack of taste

Americans always believe they can jab at other countries' leaders just because they are free to criticize or make fun of their own state leaders. Actually the countries targeted in Hollywood movies are very selective, such as the Cold War era's Soviet Union, North Korea and Iran.

China used to be also portrayed in a negative light occasionally. Now that the Chinese market has become a gold mine for US movies, Hollywood has begun to show an increasingly friendly face, just in order to attract more Chinese viewers.

. . .

No matter how the US society looks at North Korea and Kim Jong-un, Kim is still the leader of the country. The vicious mocking of Kim is only a result of senseless cultural arrogance.

. . .

Some people in the US have complained that China has been suppressing Hollywood's freedom of creativity through economic power. Actually China should further stick to principles when dealing with Hollywood.

Apparently, it is easier to show them the economic consequences than trying to reason with them.

Edited by Randy W
skip to last post for 2018 update (see edit history)
U.S. asks China to help combat North Korean hacking after attack on Sony

Administration officials asked the Chinese Embassy in Washington in a meeting Thursday to block Pyongyang’s access to Internet routers and servers based in China, to expel North Korean hackers living in China and to pressure the Kim regime to end its cyber offensive against companies in the United States, according to one official.

Most of North Korea’s telecommunications traffic runs through China’s infrastructure, although some of it also is routed through Russia and North Korea’s own limited networks.

. . .

“We will never pardon those undesirable elements keen on hurting the dignity” of Kim, the spokesman said. If North Korea decided to retaliate, it would “ target with legitimacy those responsible” for acting against the country, he said.

“The army of the DPRK has the will and ability to do so,” said the statement carried by KCNA.

Of course, Sony could always decide to just keep their barn door locked.

The first amendment prevailed, this is satire and has been part of what makes America media has poked fun at leaders since before the founding, the first amendment is there to protect against politicians attempts to stifle opposing speech. Political correctness is just another attempt to stifle free speech.

Earlier today, Sony announced that YouTube, Google Play, and Xbox Video would be streaming the film for $6 or for $15 to own starting at 1pm EST. Here are the links that'll take you there:

• YouTube
  • Google Play
  • Xbox Video
If you have other things to do on Christmas Eve and Christmas than watching Kim Jong-Un's head explode, you also might be able to catch it on Netflix a few days later, according to Variety.

http://gizmodo.com/you-can-watch-the-interview-right-now-1674909621

It's not too shabby, either. Good scenery - my favorite line so far

He does not have a butthole. He does not need one

As long as you're not expecting too much

Leonard Maltin's review . . .

The Interview—The Movie

Before it became the epicenter of an international incident or threatened to cripple a major movie studio, The Interview was just a goof of an idea, and that’s what it remains. Calling it satire is elevating it beyond its status as a supremely silly comedy, but it did make me laugh.

When Seth Rogen and his longtime writing partner Evan Goldberg exploit an idea they hold nothing back. It’s that willingness to go to extremes that makes The Interview so funny at times. I wish they would learn to edit themselves, but it’s all or nothing with these guys, so if they overplay their hand and indulge in a level of crudity that’s way beyond my comfort zone, there’s nothing to be done about it. My repayment is more laughs than any other comedy has offered lately.

I have always loved satirical comedy, hence my worship of Kurt Vonnegutt, Jr and other's works. When I sit and watch this type movie, or read that type of book, I don't expect to come away with earth shattering new views of aspects of life, or come away with profound thoughts....I watch and read for the laughs, for the fantasy and comical effects. Maybe I am much more low brow than the high brows who apparently expect movies and books must have some deep heavy meaning.

Maltin's last sentence sums it up well enough to go see the movie for me.................My repayment is more laughs than any other comedy has offered lately.

• Like 1

I have always loved satirical comedy, hence my worship of Kurt Vonnegutt, Jr and other's works. When I sit and watch this type movie, or read that type of book, I don't expect to come away with earth shattering new views of aspects of life, or come away with profound thoughts....I watch and read for the laughs, for the fantasy and comical effects. Maybe I am much more low brow than the high brows who apparently expect movies and books must have some deep heavy meaning.

Maltin's last sentence sums it up well enough to go see the movie for me.................My repayment is more laughs than any other comedy has offered lately.

Now that I've seen it - I'd have to rate it as WELL worth the watch, and an excellent publicity campaign. I think the theater owners shot themselves in the foot by not playing it, and that it'll be a BIG online hit.

Okay. first I want to say that i hope that everyone had a great Christmas, had long family time and enjoy themselves immensely.

Now I would like to play devil's advocate. Hope i don't get burnt to badly or maybe I do.

Questions:

1. Didn't a senator's aide just get sacked a few weeks ago because a comment she made about President Obama's daughter?

2. What would happen in Thailand if this movie's setting was in Thailand and the interview was with the King?

3. There may have been some hope when Kim when he first took over. After seeing this movie will he simple last and dump all his missile and bombs in the ocean? Satire is great but perhaps there is a time and place for it. Is it worth it now, so that Sony and movie land can make a buck or two million bucks?

4. Freedom of speech is great and is a necessity but what about freedom of privacy. What happen to those Sony's executives who had their private emails exposed ( talking about actresses such as A. Jolie) and re-exposed on national press., time and time again? What was the purpose of that? Making fun of that executive's stupidity?

5. Making fun of a world leader, yes it can fun. But there are people in some country who think that hanging US President's in effigy is fun. There are even $%^& who like to burn our flag. This is not funny to me. what about you all?

6. Where should the line be drawn? Who knows?

OF course this post was done all in satire. No need to frost or roast my hiney!! :victory: :bangin:

Okay. first I want to say that i hope that everyone had a great Christmas, had long family time and enjoy themselves immensely.

Now I would like to play devil's advocate. Hope i don't get burnt to badly or maybe I do.

Questions:

1. Didn't a senator's aide just get sacked a few weeks ago because a comment she made about President Obama's daughter?

2. What would happen in Thailand if this movie's setting was in Thailand and the interview was with the King?

3. There may have been some hope when Kim when he first took over. After seeing this movie will he simple last and dump all his missile and bombs in the ocean? Satire is great but perhaps there is a time and place for it. Is it worth it now, so that Sony and movie land can make a buck or two million bucks?

4. Freedom of speech is great and is a necessity but what about freedom of privacy. What happen to those Sony's executives who had their private emails exposed ( talking about actresses such as A. Jolie) and re-exposed on national press., time and time again? What was the purpose of that? Making fun of that executive's stupidity?

5. Making fun of a world leader, yes it can fun. But there are people in some country who think that hanging US President's in effigy is fun. There are even $%^& who like to burn our flag. This is not funny to me. what about you all?

6. Where should the line be drawn? Who knows?

OF course this post was done all in satire. No need to frost or roast my hiney!! :victory: :bangin:

I'll speak to # 4 there, and say that, hopefully, Sony will learn how to keep their barn door locked from intruders!

. . . and the review from the Global Times

The Interview a hit in China

Popularity online reflects West’s ‘distorted view’ of NK

In China, streaming versions of the movie have already been made available illegally by users of online forums.

The enormous publicity has made the movie one of the highest-rated films on IMDb, an Internet movie database, at 9.4 out of 10 possible points following 52,809 votes.

. . .

The movie's use of a song by Taiwanese pop star Jay Chou was a surprise for many Chinese Net users.

Some criticized North Korea for lacking a sense of humor, saying the release of the film was "act of justice."

Others, however, are not buying into the hype around the film, describing it as a low-quality movie that has managed to attract attention by using Kim as a successful publicity stunt.

People's anticipation of the movie has far outstripped what it is capable of delivering, others said.

. . .

The movie and its immense popularity will only be short-lived bubble, said Zhang Yiwu, a cultural critic and professor at Peking University.

But it does reflect Western society's long-standing distorted view of North Korea, the result of a lack of understanding of the country, he told the Global Times.

Mediocre comedy The Interview’s biggest fan is…

North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un?

jongun1.jpg

After a long and arduous production, terrorist threats from North Korea, a snap decision to pull the film and then, finally, a half-baked release both online and at independent theaters not fearful of sudden SCUD missile attacks, the much-talked about film The Interview is finally upon us and reviews are lukewarm at best. “Acceptable!,” “Moderately Chuckle-Worthy!,” and “More Dick Jokes Than You Can Shake a Sausage Link At!” seem destined to adorn the box art of the eventual Blu-ray release.

But there appears to be one very unexpected mega fan of the film, if one surreal photo is to be believed…

Yes, that is North Korean dictator, haircut innovator and perpetual carrier of binoculars Kim Jong-Un appearing to watch and fully enjoy the internet release of The Interview.

While there is no exact source for the photograph, that’s not uncommon for photos originating from the fascist nation, what with all the stern-faced handlers assigned to any foreigner that sets foot in the country – a topic apparently touched on somewhat racistly by the film.

Okay, if you haven’t figured it out yet: Yes, this is a fake photo. Kim Jong-Un is obviously too busy oppressing his people and threatening to SCUD Christmas trees and film houses that produce mediocre comedies to put down his ever-vigilant binoculars and catch the latest Hollywood film. We presume whoever Photoshopped this image is currently being targeted for assassination by Jong-Un’s secret police as we speak.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/12/27/mediocre-comedy-the-interviews-biggest-fan-is-north-korean-dictator-kim-jong-un/

• Like 1

Now that I've seen it - I'd have to rate it as WELL worth the watch, and an excellent publicity campaign. I think the theater owners shot themselves in the foot by not playing it, and that it'll be a BIG online hit.

Glad to see you liked it Randy. There is nothing wrong with goofy comedy. Heck, I still like the 3 Stooges. This movie is like The Two Stooges, complete with poop and fart jokes, explodin' the head of the biggest joke of them all....Kim Dum Fat. Nyuk nyuk nyuk

I hope I never grow too old, or too tight assed to enjoy goofy childish humor, there are already too many members of that pseudo intellectual above it all club. :rotfl:

tsap seui