Pearl Harbor Day December 7, 1941

Thomas Promise

Who in the hell didn't know that the damned Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941 was on a Sunday morning....the very day of the week the troops would be most likely to be sleeping in and slowest to counter-attack???????? The word Sunday is very important to include with the words December 7th 1941.

Randy, you have done a lot of good on Candle, but you seem to have a F'ing problem with Dan of late. As a friend to both of you, I suggest you take your "problem" to private, you are disgracing yourself with your public bickering on Dan.

For any American's needing a primer on what day of the week December 7th 1941 is, here is part of Roosevelt's speech.......please note the last sentence in the last paragraph....or at least pick up a history book and read it.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government had deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you, very many American lives were lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya.
Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.
Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam.
Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.
Last night Japanese forces attacked Wake Island.
This morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.
No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces-with the unbounded determination of our people-we will gain the inevitable triumph-so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, 7 December 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire.

tsap seui

I will never forgive Japan for what it did to so many in WW!!, the nicest thing I can say is....well I don't have anything nice to say about their conduct. Anyhow, a movie is coming out on Christmas Day. It is from the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It covers the life story of Louis Zamperini and is one great read. Louis Zamperini's plane went down and he was captured by the Japanese. I had to force myself through the book after his capture. HIs time in Japanese hands pissed me off, as all of the books I have read about Japanese conduct. His treatment lead to his later having PTSD and to the point of his almost taking his own life from his horrors...and on until he makes peace with his demons. It is a wonderful story. I don't think I will go see the movie, as good as I am sure it will be...the book was enough for me. I carry enough anger and angst towards the Japanese, no need for me to go pay money to exacerbate it...I wouldn't even enjoy my buttered popcorn and large coke. LOL The Louis Zamperini story is fascinating, I hope some of you read the book and/or go see the movie. He is an incredible character.

Kind of like the Irish and Bloody Sunday, sometimes the day of the week has significance.

Sunday December 7 does have an extra significance to it.

No Japan bashing. They aren't the same country they were 73 years ago. They have a different government, a new constitution and have not disturbed peace in all of those years. Very few of those responsible are even still alive.

Truly sorry bout that Carl, not that the following is any real excuse, and, yes, I should be a better man about it.

I should never have posted on Pearl Harbor Day, especially after just having finished reading the book UNBROKEN....like two violent storm systems hitting head on causing the perfect storm in my head. At least I'm not going to go see the movie UNBROKEN ...I'd go insane and probably get arrested when the prison camp scenes with "the bird" were shown.

My apologies to the Japanese.

tsap seui

• Like 1

Carl you are absolutely right of course and I agree with you 100%. There are exceptions though. Just like the differences between the North and the South. White against black. Right here in the good ole US of A. It still does exist unfortunately. Before I met my now wife I was writing to a gal in Japan and her parents found out she was corresponding with an American. The very next day her parents took her to the the dome and showed her what America done to Japan. She explained that to me and that she could no longer write to me not even to be friends. End or that story.

My ole dad was in WWII. When he had his first heart attack, some 30 years ago, he was assigned to a cardiologist that just happened to be a Japanese. He was absolutely terrified. He begged me to get him out of there. He truly thought that this guy was going to kill him because they were the same age and both served in WWII but on opposite sides. I had to get him another doctor but the Japanese doctor was really in charge in the background unbeknown to dad.

At some point people have to let go of the hate. My own father fought in Italy during WW-2. During the war like most Americans he hated the Japanese. Later in life he noticed how hard working the Japanese American farmers that lived in our area were. He finally let go of the hate and had a newfound respect. In College I met my ex-wife, a Japanese foreign student. I took her home to meet my folks where she was greeted with open arms. Later when we married and her parents came for the wedding our fathers who had been on opposite sides during the war got along famously.

People can make a choice. You can hold a 73 year old grudge or let go and try to get along. An ancient grudge does no one any good.

• Like 1