Hello all,

We are just about and the end of the long immigration process of getting my family to the US. I have searched many sites, without any luck, concerning the requirements to properly exit China with our daughter. It seems everyone who has done this has a different situation and story.

She has her US passport, but has been living in China via my wives household registration book (Hukou , so she doesn't have any Chinese issued visas in it. We tried to get her a Temporary Exit permit (Tongxing Zheng ֤ͨ), but we were turned down, both here in Xiamen and back in her hometown. We were successful in obtaining a Chinese passport.

Does anyone know the process of getting a Pro-forma visa from the consulate general in Guangzhou? I checked both their website and ustraveldocs, but I drew a blank.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Hello all,

We are just about and the end of the long immigration process of getting my family to the US. I have searched many sites, without any luck, concerning the requirements to properly exit China with our daughter. It seems everyone who has done this has a different situation and story.

She has her US passport, but has been living in China via my wives household registration book (Hukou , so she doesn't have any Chinese issued visas in it. We tried to get her a Temporary Exit permit (Tongxing Zheng ֤ͨ), but we were turned down, both here in Xiamen and back in her hometown. We were successful in obtaining a Chinese passport.

Does anyone know the process of getting a Pro-forma visa from the consulate general in Guangzhou? I checked both their website and ustraveldocs, but I drew a blank.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Go to the American consulate with jurisdiction over your residence. You might inquire there, but I expect you'll have to apply for a Visitor's visa to be placed in the Chinese passport.

It is referred to as a 'pro-forma' visa because Visitor's visas are usually not issued to (nor are they needed) American citizens with American passports.

The problem, of course, is that the Chinese authorities are not recognizing her American citizenship, or the American passport and will not allow her to leave the country without a visa in her Chinese passport. The visa will not be needed to enter the U.S., but issued only for the purpose of allowing her to legally exit China.

The term pro forma (Latin for "as a matter of form" or "for the sake of form") is most often used to describe a practice or document that is provided as a courtesy and/or satisfies minimum requirements, conforms to a norm or doctrine, tends to be performed perfunctorily and/or is considered a formality.

This is how it's done for U.S. citizens - you may hear different stories from citizens of other countries, such as Great Britain.

Here is a post from someone right after they got the 'pro-forma' visa from the Shanghai consulate - I don't see where they mentioned the cost. You might PM that member to see how much they paid, or ask at your consulate about the 'pro-forma' visa for a Chinese-born American citizen with no prior visa history.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46311-new-policy-for-chinese-born-baby-for-exit/?p=607334

This was the word from the Guangzhou consulate all the way back in 2006 about pro-forma visas

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/17969-us-citizen-born-in-china/?p=216436

For a child who has both a US and a Chinese passport, if it is the first time for the child to exit China, they will need to come to the Consulate's American Citizen Services Unit (ACS) to make arrangements for a "pro forma" visa. If the child has already been to the US and is now traveling to China, the child should use the US passport when entering and exiting China.

Apparently, you would get the visa through the American Citizen Services unit, rather than the normal visa application route, if you apply through Guangzhou.

Just to update those who might be in the same leaky shipas I am in. The US enbassy in GZ was less than helpful they said to contact the Chinese Exit officals. I also contacted UStravelsdocs aka CGI stanley, becuase there is no option for a pro-forma visa and they said the cannot tell me what type of visa to apply for I must selct one myself based on my requirements. They also have a policy that you cannot talk to a manager on the phone only via email, but four day now and no reply, I expect they will be less than helpful.

My wives QQ immigration group suggested a B2 visa. Has anyone else gone thru this? Did you fill out the online DS160 application? According what instructions, if you are under 14 and a citizen of China you can send the documents to GZ without need of an interview.

As I posted last week -

This was the word from the Guangzhou consulate all the way back in 2006 about pro-forma visas

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/17969-us-citizen-born-in-china/?p=216436

For a child who has both a US and a Chinese passport, if it is the first time for the child to exit China, they will need to come to the Consulate's American Citizen Services Unit (ACS) to make arrangements for a "pro forma" visa. If the child has already been to the US and is now traveling to China, the child should use the US passport when entering and exiting China.

Apparently, you would get the visa through the American Citizen Services unit, rather than the normal visa application route, if you apply through Guangzhou.

If you don't want to do this, you should be able to apply for a Visitor's Visa. We have provided several links for you already. Please do your research.

A "pro-forma" visa IS a Visitor's Visa issued to an American citizen.

The above statement it INCORRECT, I was already at the consulate in Thur the 4th of Dec and as I said the passed the buck to the Ustraveldocs people. they were nice people but said it is a separate division and they cannot help me directly.

The above statement it INCORRECT, I was already at the consulate in Thur the 4th of Dec and as I said the passed the buck to the Ustraveldocs people. they were nice people but said it is a separate division and they cannot help me directly.

Did you go to American Citizen Services? Did you tell them that you had already contacted the Chinese Exit officials and were denied an exit visa? and that she has BOTH an American and Chinese passport?

If THEY (American Citizen Services) told you this, that would mean that you need to apply for a Visitor's Visa to go in your daughter's Chinese passport.

Yes, it was the USC on GZ and yes I did tell the of my plight, as I said they were quite polite, they were fully aware of the this type of situation and even agreed that a pro-forma visa is required, but said I must contact the US traveldoc people. When I contacted them at UStraveldocs via the phone they were less than helpful. As I said they could not even tell me which type of visa to apply for it is against they policy to tell you the type of visa you need, I tried extensivly to appeal to them that the website does not have a pro-forma visa, so which one should I select? They krrp saying the same thing over and over you cannot even talk to a manager it is against their policy.

Yes, it was the USC on GZ and yes I did tell the of my plight, as I said they were quite polite, they were fully aware of the this type of situation and even agreed that a pro-forma visa is required, but said I must contact the US traveldoc people. When I contacted them at UStraveldocs via the phone they were less than helpful. As I said they could not even tell me which type of visa to apply for it is against they policy to tell you the type of visa you need, I tried extensivly to appeal to them that the website does not have a pro-forma visa, so which one should I select? They krrp saying the same thing over and over you cannot even talk to a manager it is against their policy.

It's not clear what you mean by "USC on GZ" (who EXACTLY did you talk to, and in what capacity? Did you have an appointment with the American Citizen Services?), but it sounds like what I'VE been repeating over-and-over - you need to apply for a Visitor's Visa for your daughter's Chinese passport.

To repeat ANOTHER post I made earlier -

Here is a post from someone right after they got the 'pro-forma' visa from the Shanghai consulate - I don't see where they mentioned the cost. You might PM that member to see how much they paid, or ask at your consulate about the 'pro-forma' visa for a Chinese-born American citizen with no prior visa history.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46311-new-policy-for-chinese-born-baby-for-exit/?p=607334

You MAY end up paying more than you need to by going through USTraveldocs - that's why I suggest contacting the member who got his "pro-forma" visa in Shanghai - but if that's the way they're doing things now, you may not have a choice.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)