Our DCF'd CR-1 Approved in Guangzhou, Nov. 20

samcmac

Hey everyone,

Proud and relieved to say it: My wife was approved for her visa today, after almost exactly 1 hour from the time she entered the embassy. Her appointment was at 9:40 AM.

Quick review of our timeline. We got married on our 1-year anniversary, August 18th, 2014. I DCF'd our CR-1 petition in Guangzhou on September 23rd. Almost exactly 2 weeks later, the petition was approved (though we didn't realize at first, because the email saying as such went into my junk box), and we set an interview appointment for November 20th. That gave us enough time to go to Shanghai for my wife's medical exam and go back to Shanghai to pick up the results (it's insane that they don't just mail those back, btw).

We arrived at the embassy later than I wanted to -- about 9:00 AM -- because my wife has a nasty cold and had difficulty waking up in the morning. It didn't really matter much though, because there was no real line to speak of. People just gathered around the gate entrance and grumbled about until their time was called. The guards called "9:40" at about 9:25 (cuz why not) and my wife heard it before I did because I was talking to some old woman about her case, and she scrambled right to the front and got inside before I could even give her a kiss for luck. She waited in the line on the other side of the gate, and I plopped myself down on the small wall that runs parallel to the embassy gate, aside some nervous looking Chinese women. I put on my headphones and tried to concentrate on the new Rick Ross album, which is strong but not a scratch on Mastermind from earlier this year fwiw...

At exactly 9:45 I watched my wife get to the front of the line and enter the building. And so I sat impatiently for the next hour with only the sounds of Ross's larger than life coke raps ringing in my ears to keep me sane. Finally, 10:45 rolled around, and just as I was thinking she might be coming out soon, there she was, strolling down the walkway leading out of the embassy, smiling and waving and I know this woman well enough to know everything went as we'd hoped and expected it would. And that was that.

Here's the info she gave me about her experience:

First she was instructed to give the documents to a Chinese man at the window, where she hit a little speed bump -- the man asked if I lived with my grandparents, who are the ones offering their financial support for this application, and she wasn't quite sure how to answer, because I don't, but they do live in the same general area as my mom. Anyway, the guy apparently was a bit frustrated and said something to the effect of, "You don't understand the question." My wife then went to the second floor to pay the visa fee, where she ran into another small issue: She had only 100 kwai bills and the fee for the visa came to 2,015 kwai. The Chinese teller she needed to pay was apparently frustrated that my wife had no smaller bills, and ordered her to find some from someone else in the room. Thankfully, a man simply gave my wife the 15 kwai she needed, and the fee was paid.

Back upstairs, my wife waited for her number to be called so that she could have her interview. Interestingly enough, she was asked a lot more questions than I thought she would be:

• Who is John? (My grandfather proving the i-864 financial support form)
  • What does [John] do for work?
  • What is your husband's name?
  • What does your husband do for work?
  • Did you meet your husband in Shanghai?
  • When did you meet each other?
  • When did you get married?
  • How old are you?
  • How old is your husband?
  • What language do you speak with your husband?
  • Does your husband speak Chinese?
  • Have you ever been to America?
  • Are you a member of the Communist Party?
  • Do you and your husband have a baby?

Whew. She conducted the interview in English by the way, and says the man was "normal," not nice, not mean. After that was all done, the interviewer gave my wife a white sheet of paper, and told her, "Your visa is approved!" She then, at my request, asked the man when she could expect to have her passport and visa back? He informed her about a week and a half to two weeks, and that the CITIC bank we selected would contact us. (On the paper, it says they will email us, not call, so that's interesting.)

And just like that, we can finally leave China; be home for Xmas. The end. Unless anyone has any questions?

S.

Whoops, forgot something. So of all the stuff we prepared -- relationship affidavits from friends, a photo album, copies of the WeChat/Facebook records we prepared for my petition, my passport, a copy of my wife's resume, probably other things I'm forgetting -- none of that was asked for. All that was asked for was the i-864 forms, the attached tax info for those forms, the sealed medical report, and the white books.

S.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Congratulations!

May I ask you, how did you get copies of the WeChat records? I can't find any information about it

Discussed here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46146-how-to-download-wechat-logs-from-an-iphone/