Some Changes in Travel Visa

Hi, there was an anouncement about 10 year visitor visa ( both directions). Interested??? Here is a link to a news story about the changes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29992316

I read several articles about this change. Also went to US Guangzhou consulate site. I read somewhere the fee was $165.

Danb

From a BBC article:

"Under the new visa rules, set to take effect on Wednesday, student visas will be valid for five years, while business and tourist visas will be valid for 10 years.

The deal will not change how long a traveller will be allowed to stay in the US or China, but how long the visas are valid for entry.

The US will also continue to require an in-person interview as part of the application for a visa."

Hi, there was an anouncement about 10 year visitor visa ( both directions). Interested??? Here is a link to a news story about the changes:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29992316

I read several articles about this change. Also went to US Guangzhou consulate site. I read somewhere the fee was $165.

Danb

From a BBC article:

"Under the new visa rules, set to take effect on Wednesday, student visas will be valid for five years, while business and tourist visas will be valid for 10 years.

The deal will not change how long a traveller will be allowed to stay in the US or China, but how long the visas are valid for entry.

The US will also continue to require an in-person interview as part of the application for a visa."

Yes i seen this news story today as well.

Might be interesting to see how this plays out and if there might even be help with marriage visas.

It's a start, Time will tell.

Here is a CNN link.

I read 5 year student visas, and 10 year visitor visas, BUT that is the time the visa is valid before you have to buy a new one, that is NOT the time you can stay in the country.

Each visit can be limited to a specific number of days.

(e.g. 10 year multi entry visa with entry/exit time of 90 days. ) something like that.

It still saves the hassle of getting a new visa every 2 years (that was my previous visa).

Yes, that was mentioned to me yesterday by my mother, sounds just like that valid 10 years, or I suspect until the passport expires.

However it has nothing to do with length of stay which typically is 6 months per the POE.

For example my wife has a 2 year multi-entry visa to China, however she cannot stay in China for 2 years, typically the allowed stay is 60 or 90 days.

Here is a link to an article on the US Consulate site in Guangzhou about the 10 year visa:

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/texttrans/2014/11/20141110310752.html#axzz3IlmLurcx

According to that article the cost will be $160 , not $165. This story broke in the past day or so during Obama's visit to China and Asia.

"Chinese nationals comprise the largest group of foreign students in the United States.

- Mission China processed more than 316,000 student and exchange visitor visa applications in FY2014, a 12 percent increase over the previous fiscal year.

- Student visas issued to Chinese nationals accounted for 16 percent of all types of U.S. visas issued in China. Student and exchange visitor visas issued to Chinese applicants represent 30 percent of all such visas issued worldwide.

- Changes in visa validity will not affect visa eligibility criteria, and the basic visa processing fee remains unchanged at the current rate of 160 USD.

For further information, please visit http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn

Read more: http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/texttrans/2014/11/20141110310752.html#ixzz3Ilp8tizz " Danb

From what I heard it was 10 years in order to keep Chinese money in the country. Not sure. But 6 months does that mean a quick trip to Canada and then back to the US?

Teachers had to do that all the time in South America.

Bubba

This would be caught by POE, typically no more than 6 months allowed in a 12 month period, this is a common topic on VJ by Canadians and British visitors.

what's good of the 10 yrs visa then if you need to leave the country every 60 or 90 days?

You don't have to go through all the hassle of renewing it every time you want to go visit.

Corerect, Would be good for 10 years and just think of the money saved.

I always like keeping my visa valid for the reason my mother inlaw is getting up there in years and ya never know when you

might need to jump on a plane at the last minute.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

It remains to be seen in the real world, though. Hopefully, someone can apply soon and let us know how it turns out.

For one thing, the 10 year duration would almost definitely run past the passport expiration. My own two year visa here in China hit that limit - now I need both a new passport and a new visa.

Oasis china visa is already stateing 10 year visa available to apply.

Tourist / Family Visit Visa

Chinese Embassy now issues 10 years multiple entry tourist visa to U.S passport holders.

Oasis china visa

I just tried to file out the online form and for Application type: it shows Visa - Multiple Entries 10 years validity.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Oasis china visa is already stateing 10 year visa available to apply.

Tourist / Family Visit Visa

Chinese Embassy now issues 10 years multiple entry tourist visa to U.S passport holders.

Oasis china visa

I just tried to file out the online form and for Application type: it shows Visa - Multiple Entries 10 years validity.

Is there an option for choosing time of each stay/duration?