Filling Out i-864 as Someone Below Poverty Level

Hey guys,

In the never ending saga that is my wife's CR-1 interview preperation, I'm now filling out my i-864, something I didn't realize I would have to do since I have my grandfather's i-864 joint sponsorship form (and my grandmother's i-864A). As usual, I'm confused some about what to check and what to fill out and what not to, but let's start with an easy one:

Part 3, item 1: I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2.

Do I check "Yes" or "No," considering I do not at all meet the income requirement for this. No notes "Applicable only in cases with two joint sponsors," which is confusing because I guess I have 1 joint sponsor (my grandfather) plus the i-864A (my grandmother).

- Sam

Hey guys,

In the never ending saga that is my wife's CR-1 interview preperation, I'm now filling out my i-864, something I didn't realize I would have to do since I have my grandfather's i-864 joint sponsorship form (and my grandmother's i-864A). As usual, I'm confused some about what to check and what to fill out and what not to, but let's start with an easy one:

Part 3, item 1: I am sponsoring the principal immigrant named in Part 2.

Do I check "Yes" or "No," considering I do not at all meet the income requirement for this. No notes "Applicable only in cases with two joint sponsors," which is confusing because I guess I have 1 joint sponsor (my grandfather) plus the i-864A (my grandmother).

- Sam

Part 3 item 1 will almost always be "Yes".

"No" can only come up in cases with 2 joint sponsors, which is extremely rare. 2 joint sponsors can only come up when there are more than one person immigrating on the petition (i.e. when there are derivative beneficiaries). That's because each immigrant can only have one joint sponsor sponsoring them (since each joint sponsor must be able to support all the immigrants they are sponsoring by their own household income, without combining it with any other sponsor's income, it would always be redundant for one immigrant to have two joint sponsors). So only when there are multiple immigrants, can there be 2 joints sponsors that "split up" the immigrants among them. Then one of the joint sponsors will be responsible for the principal immigrant, and the other one won't, and that second one would say "No" to Part 3 item 1.

The petitioner must always be a sponsor of all the immigrants.

You are petitioning for an Immediate Relative, which cannot have derivative beneficiaries, so 2 joint sponsors will never come up.

Edited by newacct (see edit history)