Police report and medical exam in Shanghai

First off, these forums have been a great help in our visa process.

My wife and I are preparing for our interview later this month (we live in Shanghai, DCF in Beijing), and there are just a few details I'm not sure about.

1. Police report: we've lived in SH for 10 years, wife's hukou is Jiangsu. Our local SH police station said they can provide a police report covering 2008 to now. Is that sufficient for the interview, or do we need to get something covering a longer period of time, which would require trip back to Jiangsu?

2. For medical exam in Shanghai, when are results available? I've read they are available later same afternoon when done at GZ facility, but not sure about Shanghai.

3. Any idea of what current vaccinations are required? We don't have her records; it seems everyone is in this situation. My wife is still breastfeeding our baby, and I've read that most vaccinations are fine while nursing, but some clarity on which vaccines they will give her would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have no answers but will bump this.

What is with the USA address needing to be in Chinese characters for the medical exam????

My wife lives in Changzhou in Jiangsu. Her medical exam is on the 27th in Shanghai, and interview in Guangzhou on Nov 19.

We got a police report and was told it covers the whole of China. All on the puter. Don't know if good enough, and now I wonder if it is too old. I guess we need an English translation for it now.

My wife also has no records of her shots, just a yellow book for her daughter. So I guess she will get stuck a plenty. Will they do it at the exam???

1) No, unless she was less than age 16 in 2008. She will be required to get one from Jiangsu

2) I would plan on a day or so for the medical report. A few topics on medical in Shanghai: http://candleforlove.com/forums/tags/forums/Shanghai%2BMedical/

3) Standard requirements are:

• MMR
  • TD
  • Varicella
  • Flu if it is flu season.
  • HPV is NOT a requirement per immigration.

Highlighted in yellow top section on this page: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/adult-schedule.pdf (Yellow in Figure 1 of this chart)

adult-schedule.pdf

I have no answers but will bump this.

What is with the USA address needing to be in Chinese characters for the medical exam????

My wife lives in Changzhou in Jiangsu. Her medical exam is on the 27th in Shanghai, and interview in Guangzhou on Nov 19.

We got a police report and was told it covers the whole of China. All on the puter. Don't know if good enough, and now I wonder if it is too old. I guess we need an English translation for it now.

My wife also has no records of her shots, just a yellow book for her daughter. So I guess she will get stuck a plenty. Will they do it at the exam???

This is not a possibility - some cites and states have Chinese character representations. Many do not. Street names, in general, will not.

Incidentally, the cut-and-paste problem seems to be with Internet Explorer 11, which Dan is about to install an upgrade that may address it. (I just now was unable to paste into Internet Explorer on CFL).

• Like 1

Yes, Randy thanks. Fen asked me to ask Weiyan, so I did and got a replay it is not that big of a deal. But both ladies had the same translation which does not google translate back to my address. I won't worry.

I can cut and past over at CFV, just not here, on this laptop only.

Does my wife need to have those shots BEFORE the medical exam, or can they do it at the exam?

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Police report is good for 6 months, right?

Sorry to ask, just so dang many govt websites that tell you this stuff and I get to where I don't trust them.

should be 12 months, however this is what OF-169 states:

If you submitted a police certificate to the NVC for your current country of residence (usually China) and it is now more than eight months old, we recommend that you bring an updated police certificate to your interview.
http://ustraveldocs.com/cn/IV%20Instruction%20DS-260%2007222014.pdf

2. For medical exam in Shanghai, when are results available? I've read they are available later same afternoon when done at GZ facility, but not sure about Shanghai.

My wife did her medical in Shanghai on Oct 17, and we weren't able to get the results until the 23rd. (She was assigned a pickup date.) Seems like GZ is the only place with one day turnaround.

Edited by lhp (see edit history)

Thanks for all the replies. A quick report on the process for anyone in Shanghai:

Medical

Wife did medical exam in Shanghai on Monday, results were ready for pick up Friday. Got three shots.

Note: instructions we had said 5 pictures were needed - we got to the exam center and they needed 10 photos (said policy was just changed). They let us complete the exam and drop off another 5 photos the next day.

Price: 1,447 yuan (more than the 1,100 yuan on info sheet we had beforehand).

Police report

Went to Suzhou last Saturday, got report done, but they had to get it notarized and translated, which couldn't be done on same day. Process was notary office -> police station -> back to notary office. They mailed it to us Tuesday, received in Shanghai on Friday.

Overall very smooth process, Suzhou police were great - very accomodating, and they were working on Saturday!

We have our interview next week. Final question if anyone can help:

For I-864: I have payment slips, tax returns and bank statements from my job in Shanghai. They are all in Chinese - will the interviewer likely ask to see them, and so do I need to translate them into English? Since I will be resigning this job as we move to U.S., this should not be that relevant to financial support in U.S.?

Thanks for all the replies. A quick report on the process for anyone in Shanghai:

Medical

Wife did medical exam in Shanghai on Monday, results were ready for pick up Friday. Got three shots.

Note: instructions we had said 5 pictures were needed - we got to the exam center and they needed 10 photos (said policy was just changed). They let us complete the exam and drop off another 5 photos the next day.

Price: 1,447 yuan (more than the 1,100 yuan on info sheet we had beforehand).

Police report

Went to Suzhou last Saturday, got report done, but they had to get it notarized and translated, which couldn't be done on same day. Process was notary office -> police station -> back to notary office. They mailed it to us Tuesday, received in Shanghai on Friday.

Overall very smooth process, Suzhou police were great - very accomodating, and they were working on Saturday!

We have our interview next week. Final question if anyone can help:

For I-864: I have payment slips, tax returns and bank statements from my job in Shanghai. They are all in Chinese - will the interviewer likely ask to see them, and so do I need to translate them into English? Since I will be resigning this job as we move to U.S., this should not be that relevant to financial support in U.S.?

If you have over a taxable level of income (around $10,000 to $20,000USD), you need to have reported this income to the IRS. Yes, it falls under the Foreign Earned Income "Exclusion", but if you did not file a tax return, you were NOT able to "exclude" it. Then reporting this income to the visa gods at Guangzhou can be a red flag, if you have not filed tax returns as required.

Bottom line is that what you have reported to the IRS needs to AGREE with what you are reporting on your I-864. The tax return is your documentation.

The "payment slips, tax returns and bank statements from my job in Shanghai, . . . all in Chinese" won't do anything for you, although it won't hurt to include them

If your income was BELOW a taxable level (that is, would not be taxed even WITHOUT the "Exclusion"