Who has seen the moon being red last night?

Catherineli

The moon becomes allegedly red a couple of times within 500 years. You're all my neighbors under one moon in the global village. I wonder who has seen the red moon?

The moon becomes allegedly red a couple of times within 500 years. You're all my neighbors under one moon in the global village. I wonder who has seen the red moon?

Yes, The wife and i go to work very early in the morning.

Zhenghong has never seen this before.

Today, 5am est we get to work a bit early to watch this.

JUST!! Amazing!! Is all i can say.

We were not able to view the moon last night due to heavy cloud cover and thunderstorms. Although rare, I think the "blood moons" are in some sort of cycle where they are more frequent. I saw a program last week that said we were due another one in April, 2015.

We had the full eclipse here for about an hour after moon rise - 6:15PM to 7:22PM. I went upstairs on the roof of the building to check it out, but couldn't see a thing. I don't know if a building was in the way, or mountains - or if it was just too hazy.

There were two total lunar eclipses in the 2014 - the other one on April 15. There will be two more in 2015, on April 5 and Sept. 28, and a total of 85 total lunar eclipses in the 21st century - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_21st-century_lunar_eclipses.

The moon is darkened by the earth's shadow. The red color comes from light passing through the earth's atmosphere.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

This map shows where the eclipse was visible yesterday - the entire night side of the planet. China got to see it AFTER sunset and moonrise (which, of course, happened about the same time), while the U.S. for the most part saw it before sunrise.

http://www.timeanddate.com/gfx/eclipses/20141008/path720.png

Map Legend

Intense red shading: Observers within this area can see the eclipse from beginning to end.

Red shading left/west of intense shading: Eclipse during end of day/start of night: Can see the eclipse after moonrise/sunset.

Red shading right/east of intense shading: Eclipse during end of night/start of day: Can see the eclipse until moonset/sunrise.

No coloring: Eclipse is not visible at all

Note: Actual eclipse visibility depends on weather conditions and line of sight to the Moon.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I caught it too.

Last night the moonrise was spectacular here in the clear air. It rose over the mountain ridge just a few hundred yards to the east of us, and it shone so brightly through the trees in my backyard, then rose over them and it was very brilliantly white with light throughout the evening. Moon shadows is often a reality around cheer.

Wenyan and Fengqi often laugh at me as almost every evening I ask them..."did you see the moon tonight?" I am amazed at how often I can see the sunrise, and still see the moon in the western sky.

Surely it's a big joy for us to see the sun and the moon everyday, which means we're enjoying life above the grass! Randy's map is very impressively illustrating the eclipse. I like that! I was told that fish don't like to come out under the full moon. It's not easy fishing on that day. I wonder how the fish think of the "blood moon"? I learned this term from Mick.

Ronny makes me think of a tree when you said, "Moon shadows is often a reality around cheer." I don't remember the spelling of the tree under which lovers are supposed to kiss each other. The tree leaves look like bird nest.

dàjiā kāixīn