Shanghai Free Trade Zone

I just looked at the video on black market i phones for China That was on the link that Thomas posted.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/140926095535-iphone-black-market-china-00002509-620x348.jpg

I wonder if one could bring set up a shop for imported I -Phones in this Shanghai Free trade zone. Sounds stupid and yet? Would American I-Phones work in Shanghai? Could they be unlocked?

If they can be unlocked maybe it would be a nice present for my Lao Po. :mobile: Dan

I just looked at the video on black market i phones for China That was on the link that Thomas posted.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/140926095535-iphone-black-market-china-00002509-620x348.jpg

I wonder if one could bring set up a shop for imported I -Phones in this Shanghai Free trade zone. Sounds stupid and yet? Would American I-Phones work in Shanghai? Could they be unlocked?

If they can be unlocked maybe it would be a nice present for my Lao Po. :mobile: Dan

It's not clear what connection you're making between Shanghai and the iPhone (free market is NOT black market), but someone beat you to it (gifting iPhones, that is)

Chinese tycoon gifts iPhone 6 to his entire high school class

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Randy, Yes it is true a black market is not free market. Even I know that. Why were the free market set for? What inducement do they offer? What can be done there that can not be done in other parts of China? Doesn't it have tax free privileges? Your Chinese Typoon in the post of above. Didn't he hand out I phone 6 to his lucky classmates. If he can do it why not us? If you don't want to sell them right out there in the open. Perhaps we could discreetly sell them out of an exclusive re-seller Handbags shops. Can you take the fast train to Shanghai and check out that Shanghai Free Trade zone? It could be an opportunity of a lifetime. What do you think? Danb

Randy, Yes it is true a black market is not free market. Even I know that. Why were the free market set for? What inducement do they offer? What can be done there that can not be done in other parts of China? Doesn't it have tax free privileges? Your Chinese Typoon in the post of above. Didn't he hand out I phone 6 to his lucky classmates. If he can do it why not us? If you don't want to sell them right out there in the open. Perhaps we could discreetly sell them out of an exclusive re-seller Handbags shops. Can you take the fast train to Shanghai and check out that Shanghai Free Trade zone? It could be an opportunity of a lifetime. What do you think? Danb

You hit the nail right on the head there with these questions. Without answers, there is not much incentive for ANY business to set up in the zone.

From the Financial Times article

Few people expected immediate breakthroughs on financial reform. However, the near total lack of substantive changes has led to cynicism among bankers.

“It’s been mostly hype so far,” said a loan banker in Shanghai who works with small and medium-sized companies in the zone. “Nothing has really changed.”

. . .

Even US ecommerce group Amazon was vague about the benefits of operating in the zone beyond geographical proximity to consumers.

Yes, you can bring iPhones into China for gifts or even resale. We've seen people with Chinese passports in the U.S. lining up to do just that in the video. Don't forget that you have to bring them through customs, regardless of whether you''re going to the free trade zone, or anywhere else in China.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

The Pingxiang zone was mainly wood - I don't remember seeing anything that WASN'T. We visited there as part of our trip to Detian.

These gents seemed all cloned and ready to lead China into the 21st Century

gallery_1846_668_165115.jpg

Trucks were lined up for a long time, just blocking their side of the road (for inspections, customs, clearance ??!?)

gallery_1846_668_735563.jpg

Seemed like a lot of 'value-added' work going on - maybe a tax break for raw materials coming in, and finished product going out?

gallery_1846_668_362498.jpg

• Like 1

So for the Shanghai zone, I think it's just a matter of figuring a lure - a benefit for the businesses to re-locate there. It's not on any kind of a border, though, so it's not clear how it could tie in to any international trade.

A shame they've wasted a year after the hype with no actual progress toward anything.

• 3 years later...

The Pingxiang zone was mainly wood - I don't remember seeing anything that WASN'T. We visited there as part of our trip to Detian.

These gents seemed all cloned and ready to lead China into the 21st Century

gallery_1846_668_165115.jpg

Trucks were lined up for a long time, just blocking their side of the road (for inspections, customs, clearance ??!?)

gallery_1846_668_735563.jpg

Seemed like a lot of 'value-added' work going on - maybe a tax break for raw materials coming in, and finished product going out?

gallery_1846_668_362498.jpg

An update on the Pingxiang Free Trade Zone from the Global Times on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/globaltimesnews/videos/1794713407276218/

Pictures from our trip there in 2013 - Detian/Pingxiang

Border city aims to play bigger role in B&R initiative
539022_354823437931896_1592334476_n.jpg?
Global Times
on Thursday ·
China-Vietnam border city aims to play bigger role in China-proposed Belt and Road initiative

https://www.facebook.com/globaltimesnews/videos/1794713407276218/

• 1 year later...

. . . and now more - from China Pictorial on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/photos/a.558235270968533/2232531526872224/

Six new #FTZs take opening up to a higher level

The six newly established free trade zones in China will further facilitate high-level opening-up and boost high-quality development through deeper reforms, the Ministry of Commerce said on Monday.
The fresh batch of FTZs are located in Shandong, Jiangsu, Hebei, Yunnan and Heilongjiang provinces, and the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region. So far, 18 FTZs have sprung up across the country.
Wang Shouwen, vice-minister of commerce, said the move shows the government's resolve to achieve high-level opening up and support an opening world economy.
Source: China Daily
Six new FTZs take opening up to a higher level
The six newly established free trade zones in China will further facilitate high-level opening-up and boost high-quality development through deeper reforms, the Ministry of Commerce said on Monday.
The fresh batch of FTZs are located in Shandong, Jiangsu, Hebei, Yunnan and Heilongjiang provinces, and the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region. So far, 18 FTZs have sprung up across the country.
Wang Shouwen, vice-minister of commerce, said the move shows the government's resolve to achieve high-level opening up and support an opening world economy.
Source: China Daily

https://www.facebook.com/ChinaPic/photos/a.558235270968533/2232531526872224/