Here is Serpentza's latest upload, a take on why National Day is a good time to avoid tourist destinations in China:

http://youtu.be/baHuw7qrM_k?list=UUl7mAGnY4jh4Ps8rhhh8XZg

Some good comments - I especially liked what he said about China being a 5000 year-old civilization, but a 65 year-old country. Very true.

I'm downloading the one now about Buying a Computer in China, I've bought a few here myself - about 4 so far, so I'll see what he has to say.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

It's mostly about FINDING the electronics area in Shenzhen, and then the particular computer store. We have two areas here in Yulin, MUCH smaller, but they've still been able to get me anything I've needed - at actually a slightly LOWER price than what I would expect to pay in the States. When I bought my pocket camera, for example, I was offered a price of $200. I checked online, and figured that I probably would have paid $210 (plus tax an/or shipping) in the states. When we went back to buy it, Jiaying talked them all the way down to $197, since she figured they were charging too much when they saw the laowai - what I call a "laowai discount".

In all, I've bought four computers, two cameras, TV's, routers, hard drives, and printers, generally all at slightly lower than I expect I would have paid in the states.

He doesn't mention printers - it's easy to find a shop that will do an ink tank conversion for you - modify the cartridges so they are fed through tubes from refillable tanks. Epson even markets printers that have tanks already built in.

I happened to be in Beijing from Sept 30th through Oct 4th in 2006. It was quite a treat for me, especially as a veteran to see the crowds in T-man Square during National Day....grandparents with their families and grand kids, etc. It was something to see them admiring and talking photos of their monuments. Very reminiscent of the Mall in DC. I truly enjoyed watching the Chinese people on their National Day, to see their pride in their country. I felt lucky to have experienced that day, even to be a part of it, and to see the flag raising from the window in our hotel. LOL I had no clue when I booked my flight about this holiday, just lucky timing. It really touched me in a way I'd never have known and it meant a lot to me.

Too crowded? Not that I could see. The crowds weren't as oppressive to me as a typical day in a shopping district in Fushun is.

tsap seui

Wenyan says darn near everything has greatly increased in price...again. I saw that just in my trips too, over the years. She said the same thing last year on her trip. This time she has bought herbal medicines, clothes, food and such and she said Aaa ya whatah tien (oh my God) "everything in China is double money again". LOL And so it goes in the fastest growing economy in the world.

Too crowded? Not that I could see. The crowds weren't as oppressive to me as a typical day in a shopping district in Fushun is.

I agree. I was also unaware of this holiday when I was stranded in Nanning alone back in 2005. I awoke early and decided to go for a walk. I was surprised to see the streets practically abandoned with few cars or bikes. The only thing stirring were a group doing their early morning TaiChi. The city didn't come alive until closer to noon, but even then wasn't as bustling as a normal day.

I was there in 2000. Never seen so many people in my life in Tienanmen square at least. I enjoyed the changing of the flags too. When they first started splitting the crowd Liren tried to cut through the line but she was not successful. First time that I ever saw her go up against a military official especially that many of them.

Larry

The trend I began to witness during my years in China was as follows: as more and more people had increasing amounts of disposable income, travel became widespread, especially domestic travel. Tourist areas were packed out on holidays. We left China eleven years ago and I would imagine that trend is even more pronounced now.

Some recommendations from the People's Daily

Take road less traveled and avoid rush

FOREIGN201410041320000328871220911.jpg

People seeking relaxation during the National Day (Oct 1) holidays may find themselves in a dilemma.While a nice trip during the one-week break may seem a good choice, it could also end up in disappointment, considering the overwhelming crowds cramming all the popular tourist sites around the country.

In recent years, news headlines have shown visitors jamming tourist attractions like the Forbidden City and the Great Wall in Beijing as well as the West Lake in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province, even capturing the attention of those who didn't travel. Well, could Robert Frost's poem about taking the road less traveled give us a little inspiration for choosing your destinations?

Great post, Randy! I really enjoyed finding out about those out of the way places and would love to visit some of them. The Maling River Canyon looks especially fascinating, although walking across rope bridges high in the air is not my idea of fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Today is China's Martyrs' Day, one day ahead of the National Day. As the country's leaders paid solemn tribute to the national heroes at the heart of the capital, the name of an old soldier occurred to me. Zhang Fuqing, who joined the cause of the national liberation in his twenties and braved his life many times for breakthrough in the battles. Decorated by merits and medals, he concealed his heroic past after the People's Republic was founded and asked for an arduous job in a distant rural area to "better serve the country." Zhang's glorious deeds as a valiant soldier was discovered when he was 94, by which time even Zhang's family still knew nothing of his past. When asked the reason for his intended anonymity, Zhang said, "compared to my deceased comrades, I am only too lucky to be alive." This is a war hero in and of itself. But in stead of showering himself in pride and honor, Zhang chose to live a simple and frugal life in memory of the fallen. To me, this man brought another layer of the meaning to the Martyrs' Day, and may his and his comrades' names live on.

from Xu Zeyu on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/XuZeyu.Philip/posts/405055754419311

Zhang Fuqing.jpg

• 11 months later...