15 Odd Things About America

Thomas Promise

America is a large country with a blend of cultures and people from around the world. Here is a partial list of the quirks and oddities that many vistors and newcommers to the US will find strange. :welcome:

http://www.answers.com/article/1185531/15-odd-things-about-america-that-americans-dont-realize?param4=fb-demo-lifestyle&param1=null&param2=null&param5=null&param6=null

Only place I've been to that had twice as many national flags flying as America, is Chinartucky. Maybe 3 or 4 times as many over yonder. Good for them, I thought it was very good, and I'd never have thought it creepy to see school kids pledging allegiance to their national flag. Anyone finding that sort of thing creepy....well, they just don't have any feelings of allegiance to their own country. Maybe they live in a creepy country???? Give em each 4 Big Macs, a double order of super sized fries, and show em the door. :rotfl: "Creepy" and "Mindless" to salute your flag????? :ranting: What idiots.

Very interesting sharing, Thomas!

When I first heard my daughter reciting pledge allegiance, I was amazed how fast she mumbled. ..."one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all". I remember hearing this in Metallic's song. But I also started to wonder, which side should I promote patriotism to my daughter -- China or US?

In China, elementary student has similar pledge when they joined young pioneers team of Chinese communist party. Almost all kids join, then they wear a red scarf like a tie. The pledge is only read at ceremonial occasion, it's something like this:

I was a member of the young pioneers of china. I am under the flag pledge: I love the Chinese Communist Party, love the motherland, love the people, study hard, take exercise, ready to contribute to the cause of Communism!

-- deponent: x x x
(raises his right hand )
Teacher: ready, for the cause of communism!
Student a: ready.

Not trying to discuss politics here. More of a patriotism dilemma.

• Like 1

It's America Joecy....you decide which country you want your daughter to pledge her patriotism to. Heck, she can pledge to both, and why not? She is Chinese American now, no need to turn her back on either country. Politics is all propaganda, it is the people who are important.

Rawknee