Ticket prices to China

Hello, Well I almost did it. I have been searching for a flight for about a month a half. I listened to what you all said. I final booked a flight on Delta . I found the flight on Google Travel, made a selection and at the bottom of the page I clicked on the tab and it took me to the Delta site. Double checked the info, made my seat selection and paid for my ticket.

BUT it is a RT ticket ($1475) from Hartford to Shanghai. I still have to got from Pudong to Nanning. I am bringing an extra bag. I should be getting to Shanghai about 9 PM. I am either going get a domestic flight or I was thinking about trying to catch the bullet train from Shanghai to Nanning. Probably the next day. The domestic plane would probably be easier but the bullet would be interesting and fun. Has anyone ever done the Bullet train from Shanghai/Pudong to Nanning? I wonder how difficult and costly that would be. On my last trip I had looked into going from Nanning to Longsheng Terrace by the bullit train but I didn't actual do it.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I would have preferred that the price was lower but I guess I have to pay extra for wanting to travel during the holiday. The prices that I have been looking at for the last for the past month or so were higher. Thanks again. Danb

Hello, Well I almost did it. I have been searching for a flight for about a month a half. I listened to what you all said. I final booked a flight on Delta . I found the flight on Google Travel, made a selection and at the bottom of the page I clicked on the tab and it took me to the Delta site. Double checked the info, made my seat selection and paid for my ticket.

BUT it is a RT ticket ($1475) from Hartford to Shanghai. I still have to got from Pudong to Nanning. I am bringing an extra bag. I should be getting to Shanghai about 9 PM. I am either going get a domestic flight or I was thinking about trying to catch the bullet train from Shanghai to Nanning. Probably the next day. The domestic plane would probably be easier but the bullet would be interesting and fun. Has anyone ever done the Bullet train from Shanghai/Pudong to Nanning? I wonder how difficult and costly that would be. On my last trip I had looked into going from Nanning to Longsheng Terrace by the bullit train but I didn't actual do it.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. I would have preferred that the price was lower but I guess I have to pay extra for wanting to travel during the holiday. The prices that I have been looking at for the last for the past month or so were higher. Thanks again. Danb

For the bullet train, I think you'd have to go to Beijing first (unless there's another transfer point), and then catch the bullet train to Nanning the next morning. It might be just as fast to take the regular train

Hi, I don't remember where the info that I found out about the bullet train on my last trip. I do remember being told that there was a European (German maybe) train that ran between the two airport terminals in Shanghai. But that was a different type train than the other bullet type trains that ran in the rest of China. I just looked at trains running between Shanghai and Nanning. They take over 24 hours. That is too long. I will look at domestic flights. Thank for the links and info. Danb I think I may be confusing a fast train with the bullet trains. Shanghai is very far away from Nanning.

Hi, I don't remember where the info that I found out about the bullet train on my last trip. I do remember being told that there was a European (German maybe) train that ran between the two airport terminals in Shanghai. But that was a different type train than the other bullet type trains that ran in the rest of China. I just looked at trains running between Shanghai and Nanning. They take over 24 hours. That is too long. I will look at domestic flights. Thank for the links and info. Danb I think I may be confusing a fast train with the bullet trains. Shanghai is very far away from Nanning.

The Shanghai airport train is a maglev - magnetic levitation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Maglev_Train

Construction of the line began in March 1, 2001, and public commercial service commenced on 1 January 2004. The top operational commercial speed of this train is 431 km/h (268 mph), making it the world's fastest train in regular commercial service since its opening in April 2004. During a non-commercial test run on 12 November 2003, a maglev train achieved a Chinese record speed of 501 km/h (311 mph).

Today, 7 days after I paid my tickets for China. ( and about 5- 6 week before I leave for China) I checked the prices again. On Delta going thru Seattle I found a price of $1200 in the morning and at night it was about $1275. My Delta flight goes via Narita and is just under $1500. I am a little disappointed at the price different but I still getting a better price than what was being previously quoted. I guess it can be a matter of luck and timing when trying for the best prices. What hurts me is that I have specific dates I can get off from work and that time is right around Xmas. Still very glad that i am going. Very Happy. Danb

It will all be good Dan, money well spent.

One trick with finding tickets at their best price is one that takes much time online and a quick trigger finger. SOmetimes, often late at night, airfares will drop suddenly and sometimes significantly for a few hours at the most. You never know when they will do this and it takes a lot of scrutiny...just like you saw with further checking after you bought your tickets.

When I was searching for "price" I'd find the flight I wanted, figure out a price point that I was ready to pay, then just keep checking that flight, in particular the seating as it filled up so I wouldn't miss the flight. Then, often a couple of weeks before the flight was to leave I would find the price changing at weird hours...then jumping back just as suddenly. It was a game that I could only control by looking at the seating chart left on the flight. It's a dicey game and I found you aren't gonna be very lucky buying the flight a long time out. But, I once saved $400 at 3am....other times I saved $200 or $300 dollars playing the game. I found the airlines get jumpy as the flight begins to fill up and they would do stuff like quick drops.

I don't play the game anymore, it was fun at the time, and I never lost a flight by keeping attention on the seating chart. Being self employed I didn't have the stress of a set deadline and that took a lot of tension off of me. Now I just look for direct flights and pay the going price...I'm more focused on the shortest overall time spent on the trip (13 1/2 hours direct IAD to PEK as compared to paying $200 less money to spend 20 hours or whatever taking off and landing multiple times and being worn out at the trip's end. Call it old age :rotfl: I just want an aisle seat towards the back of the plane on a direct flight to Beijing.

You did good, I wouldn't worry about lower prices at this stage. Maybe with your tickets safely in hand you can play the game, see if it still works, and possibly use it next time. See if the prices don't spike down suddenly and for a very short time about 2 weeks before takeoff. With the timing of this trip you are more, as you stated, stuck with a busy time of the year and there isn't gonna be much playroom as they know the flight will fill up, every seat will be sold.

Main thing is to have a good time, which I'm sure you will.

tsap seui

Three weeks ago ChunMei got a round trip ticket from Denver to Nanning and back, leaving on Jan 11 and returning on May 24. Best price she could find was $1483 through flychina.com. I just looked on kayak.com a few minutes ago, and an identical ticket is now $1191. Grrrr.

Yep Nick, as they get closer to the take-off date they will drop prices of a sudden...then raise them right back up just as suddenly as after the quick sale they get more seats filled.

They have no motivation to give deals 2 or 3 months out, ya gotta play the "waiting game". LOL

I can get down to 1000 or so if I want to go through LAX. I want to try the new AA direct flight from Dallas, though. It is 1278, and down from 13xx. So, I have not bought the tickets yet, and leaving Friday. Many seats left, so it is going down. I think no one leaves Thanksgiving time. Boss not given me the return day yet.

Just on a side geographical note - the United and Continental flights from Chicago to Beijing used to go to the left of the pole, while the flight from Newark to Beijing went to the RIGHT of the pole.

I posted some pictures in the Gallery, including some of the sun setting on the North Pole (Sept. 21 flight)

The return flight would usually go over the Bering Strait (through Alaska and Canada) to take advantage of the jet stream.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/107-the-polar-route/

I can't find a flight path.

I settled for $1323 from Dallas to Shanghai direct leaving 11-14-14 and returning the 30th. Of course it is AA so no way to buy the extra 6", though they will take your money for simply further forward. I didn't buy it. Dang Yankees who moved to Ft Worth. I will hate the seat arrangement, but it will cut a bit of the travel time. Oh my back. I could have done the ticket for less than 1300 by changing a day, but ehhh..

Wife added my ticket to theirs to somewhere close or to Guangzhou. I have no idea of the price.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

Direct to China....that's the bomb....well, for us over the hill folks LOL

Again', good luck at the lucky ducky pond drawing in Guangzhou, Douggie. We'll be rootin' and tootin' fer yawl guys.

tsap seui

• 2 weeks later...

Tsap S. said: " as they get closer to the take-off date they will drop prices of a sudden...then raise them right back up just as suddenly as after the quick sale they get more seats filled.

They have no motivation to give deals 2 or 3 months out, ya gotta play the "waiting game". LOL"

That is exactly what they are doing at this very moment Those guys!!! I was checking the prices prices today. The prices have dropped by something like 400-500. I have my tickets already. I wonder if i can get them changed??. I am not good at the " waiting game". Too often I have played and have waited too long and all I could do was tp try to catch a price that wasn't rising too much , too fast. One thing that I am learning is that I have to recognize a good price. It the prices are great ...jump on them. I am disappointed about the price that I got but I can live with it. Because 1. I am going to China. and 2, the price is much better than some of the other prices that I had been seeing.

Four weeks to take off. :jump: Have a good day. Danb

PS Doug, Hope things are going well in China for you all.

Edited by danb (see edit history)
  • Like 1