So the Chinese are the most materialist culture....

Also makes sense Vancouver BC Canada and Hong Kong have a connection due to HK former status as a crown colony people were able to migrate from HK and India into Canada fairly easily due to crown colony status. We see a lot in Toronto too.

Another thing about Canadian Chinese, they speak Cantonese predominantly due to the HK connection.

I just know from personal experience (married for 11 years and been around her friends), some Chinese spend a lot of time "saving face". They spend a lot of time placing extreme importance on how others perceive their worthiness. Example, I live in Maryland. There is a county in Maryland called Montgomery county. It has a pop of 1M and has the highest income in the state. The schools their are the best in Maryland (but this doesn't necessarily equate to the best). Lots of Chinese will burn a hole in their pockets trying to buy a small 800sqft town house in that region. Just to tell others that they live there....

• Like 1

interesting but not surprising.

My parents went through culture revolution and the 3-yr nature disaster when they were in growth spurt but had nothing to eat. They were material-less growing up. Having money, being able to get more things, being able to go to college were top items on their bucket list. When it come to us, they want to make sure their child have the chance to have things they didn't have. So they emphasize on the importance of being able to make money; going to college and owing things.

Maybe US went through the same?

At least China has the buying power :gleam:

• Like 1