Administrative Processing Limbo Question (Plus Guangzhou Incompetence)

jpapish

My wife was approved for her immigrant visa in Guangzhou on August 14. We had been expecting her passport to be mailed back to Beijing through CITIC bank within two weeks as stated, but her passport's status on the website was never updated. A previous email update had accidentally been sent to our junk mail a few months ago, so luckily I checked her spam folder and found that on August 18, Guangzhou emailed us asking for 2 recent photographs before they could grant her the visa. (Side note...although the email said it was also sent to my address, I cannot find it even in my spam folder...weird...double side note...my wife actually brought two recent photographs to the consulate for the interview, but was never asked to submit them!)

I submitted the photos through CITIC bank on August 30. Her "status updated date" has updated several times since then, most recently today, but still says "administrative processing." My question is, how long should I realistically expect to wait to get the passport back? We have an ETD of October 30 due to my Chinese visa expiring, so there's enough time, but I'm still getting anxious due to all of Guangzhou's previous screw ups.

Thanks and sorry for the rant...I thought I was through with government incompetence...silly me.

My wife was approved for her immigrant visa in Guangzhou on August 14. We had been expecting her passport to be mailed back to Beijing through CITIC bank within two weeks as stated, but her passport's status on the website was never updated. A previous email update had accidentally been sent to our junk mail a few months ago, so luckily I checked her spam folder and found that on August 18, Guangzhou emailed us asking for 2 recent photographs before they could grant her the visa. (Side note...although the email said it was also sent to my address, I cannot find it even in my spam folder...weird...double side note...my wife actually brought two recent photographs to the consulate for the interview, but was never asked to submit them!)

I submitted the photos through CITIC bank on August 30. Her "status updated date" has updated several times since then, most recently today, but still says "administrative processing." My question is, how long should I realistically expect to wait to get the passport back? We have an ETD of October 30 due to my Chinese visa expiring, so there's enough time, but I'm still getting anxious due to all of Guangzhou's previous screw ups.

Thanks and sorry for the rant...I thought I was through with government incompetence...silly me.

As long as they feel like taking. My own opinion is that any longer than 24 hours is FAR too long for them to be keeping ANYONE'S passport.

• 2 months later...

Typically I would suspect the time it takes for mail to go from CITIC bank to consulate, a couple days for them to process the visa and paperwork, and the time it takes for mail to be sent back to CITIC bank.

A ~10 days to 2 weeks or so.