Same-sex Wedding in Beijing

UK consul-general Brian Davidson marries same-sex partner in Beijing, shares the love on Weibo

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_kenneth/brian-davidson-scott-chang.jpg

Same-sex couples can now marry at 23 British consulates around the world, including mainland China, Russia and Azerbaijan. According to an announcement from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office, gay weddings can be conducted as long as host countries do not object.

Curiously, the UK's consulate-general in Hong Kong is now the only British mission in China where the solemnisation of same-sex marriages is not permitted, because of an objection raised by the Hong Kong government that was fuelled by active lobbying by Christian groups.

The marriage, of course, is registered under the laws of Great Britain, NOT China.

The Chinese partner is an American citizen.

• Like 1

My wife doesn't check those out, but I found this

In Online Poll, a Majority Support Gay Marriage in China

The poll allows respondents four choices: “I support it, love does not require a gender difference” has received 50.1% of the vote thus far. “I oppose it, gay marriage violates social mores” has received 25.9%, with the rest saying they have no preference or cannot decide.

Although Sina can be fairly described as an ideologically neutral platform, Chinese Internet users as a whole tend to be younger, more educated, and thus likely more liberal than the population at large. But their opinions are likely predictive of social trends within China.

I expect, however, that they'll find they'll be expected to check the "single" box on any forms they fill out in China, just like our other same-sex couples have seen.

• 1 year later...

. . . and another, in San Francisco

US Consul General in Shanghai marries Chinese same-sex partner in San Francisco, shares wedding pics on Weibo

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/consul_marriage.jpg

Smith announced the marriage to the world via his US Consul General Weibo account, saying: "It is time to share some happy news with you all..." The announcement has been mostly greeted with well wishes for the newlyweds by Chinese netizens.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many same sex couples can stay many years until they grow old? I've never heard of any same-sex pair being 80 years of age.

I wonder how many same sex couples can stay many years until they grow old? I've never heard of any same-sex pair being 80 years of age.

Same sex marriage is relatively new but statistics so far show the divorce rate is about the same as opposite sex couples. Here's a couple that have been together 54 years and married for 5 years.

https://www.queerty.com/most-adorable-old-gay-couple-ever-20130509

Certain studies in Europe say that more then 1/2 Gay men will not see 65 years old. They will never experience the Ancient Chinese proverb of praying for a long life, then living in fear of old age.

Those studies were done at the height of the AIDS epidemic. Aids deaths have been cut by 2/3 since then. It also doesn't reflect couples in long term monogamous relationships.There is some evidence that gay men have a slightly higher risk of anal cancer and lesbian women have a slightly higher risk of breast cancer.

You still see articles like this one, from areas where gay marriage is not allowed

Gay Man Adopts His Partner to Avoid Inheritance Tax

Now, as lifelong partners facing the financial and emotional insecurities of old age, they have legally changed their relationship and are father and son -- John, 65, has adopted Gregory, 73.

I found this discussion of the issue on a gay board - What happens to old gay people?