Marriage "White Book" Needed in America?

Hey all,

As the old radio saying goes..."Long time listener, first time caller"...Candle For Love's forums were an amazing resource during my wife's DCF IR-1 visa process and I'm happy to report she was approved last week after only 4 months! I have a quick question. The consulate is keeping our only original marriage "white book" and we are wondering if we should go down to her hometown and pick up another before heading back to the states in October. Is the white book recognized in the states? And is our marriage seen as official without it?

Looking forward to your responses and thanks again!

Best,

Jon

Hey all,

As the old radio saying goes..."Long time listener, first time caller"...Candle For Love's forums were an amazing resource during my wife's DCF IR-1 visa process and I'm happy to report she was approved last week after only 4 months! I have a quick question. The consulate is keeping our only original marriage "white book" and we are wondering if we should go down to her hometown and pick up another before heading back to the states in October. Is the white book recognized in the states? And is our marriage seen as official without it?

Looking forward to your responses and thanks again!

Best,

Jon

The "white book" is your marriage certificate. It's possible that you'll never need one, but it's certainly a good idea to have one or two on hand in case you do.

Even so, you ARE married and there are unlikely to be any issues there. Yes, it is recognized.

We've never needed ours once we've entered the US but we did bring back an extra copy just-in-case. Yup, it's recognized.

We have needed copies of the white book to prove our marriage various times, with the VA for my son and wife's health care, plus their VA ID cards they carry to get discounts. As well there was at least another time we needed the white book for something else I can't remember.

Maybe you'll never need one but I made sure we bought 4 copies at the marriage bureau, and brought 3 copies back with us. A little far off and quite a journey to get one should you need it in America, when you married in China.

tsap seui

Also have an extra copy of birth certificate for I the states.

Have you interviewed yet? If not and you still have the documents, make photo copies to turn in, and bring originals to interview for confirmation they will keep the copies and you keep the originals and bring them to the states.

• 4 weeks later...