Difference between CR1 and IR1

USCIS has approved the Form I-130 for my husband and we are now in the process of submitting the required DS-260, photos and copy of his passport to Guangzhou Consulate before we can make an interview appointment.

Would anyone give us some explantion on the difference between CR1 and IR1 please? It seems that CR1 is conditional IR1 Spouse of US Citizen. What are the conditions?

Many thanks in advance,

Regard,

Benanza

USCIS has approved the Form I-130 for my husband and we are now in the process of submitting the required DS-260, photos and copy of his passport to Guangzhou Consulate before we can make an interview appointment.

Would anyone give us some explantion on the difference between CR1 and IR1 please? It seems that CR1 is conditional IR1 Spouse of US Citizen. What are the conditions?

Many thanks in advance,

Regard,

Benanza

The condition is two years of marriage, determined at the time of processing into the U.S. at the POE.

A CR-1 (conditional) visa indicates that the immigrant was married for less than two years, and is awarded a two year conditional green card, which must be renewed AND CONDITIONS REMOVED (for a 10 year card) after two years of residence in the U.S. To remove conditions, you must provide evidence that the marriage is still in effect - pictures, joint accounts, policies, etc. But it is possible to remove conditions even if the marriage was terminated by showing that it was entered into in good faith, etc.

If you can delay your entry into the U.S. until AFTER the two year wedding anniversary, it is termed an IR-1 visa, and a 10 year unconditional card is awarded.

There is no difference between a conditional and unconditional card, except for the need to remove conditions.

• Like 1

The removal of conditions does carry some financial expense - more info below

USCIS LINK

Yes the fee is currently $590, so if you are close to two years of marriage, then delaying using the CR-1 visa until after 2 years of marriage can save you the additional cost of removal of conditions.

• Like 1

Note that whether you get a CR-1 or IR-1 visa is determined by whether you've been married for two years at the time you interview and get the immigrant visa. However, whether you become a conditional permanent resident (i.e. whether you get a CR-1 or IR-1 green card) is determined by whether you've been married for two years at the time you become a permanent resident by entering the U.S. It's possible to get a CR-1 visa but get an IR-1 green card.

Note that whether you get a CR-1 or IR-1 visa is determined by whether you've been married for two years at the time you interview and get the immigrant visa. However, whether you become a conditional permanent resident (i.e. whether you get a CR-1 or IR-1 green card) is determined by whether you've been married for two years at the time you become a permanent resident by entering the U.S. It's possible to get a CR-1 visa but get an IR-1 green card.

CR-1 and IR-1 are visa classifications - simply the "IV Category" which is printed on the visa. According to the Dept of State, the actual classification is determined at the POE.

The benefits are determined from the POE visa classification - there is no such thing as a "CR-1 or IR-1 green card".

If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.” The immigrant visa is a conditional resident (CR) visa, not an immediate relative (IR) visa.

The green card is either conditional (for less than 2 years of marriage, also determined at the time of processing at the POE) or unconditional (more than 2 years)

CR-1 and IR-1 are visa classifications - simply the "IV Category" which is printed on the visa. According to the Dept of State, the actual classification is determined at the POE.

The benefits are determined from the POE visa classification - there is no such thing as a "CR-1 or IR-1 green card".

If you have been married for less than two years when your foreign citizen spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, his or her permanent resident status is considered “conditional.” The immigrant visa is a conditional resident (CR) visa, not an immediate relative (IR) visa.

The green card is either conditional (for less than 2 years of marriage, also determined at the time of processing at the POE) or unconditional (more than 2 years)

Many thanks for the explanation, Randy! We are only married in Mar 2014, so CR-1 is applicable to our case since we already initiated the process. Again, thanks for your reply!