Question About CCP

Hello Everyone,

I landed US in 2011 with IR1 Visa. It has been 3 years. I am preparing to apply for US citizenship. N-400 form has a question regarding CCP membership. What should be filled for "Purpose of the Group" in Question 9B? I thought it can be "Political Party".

Also, from this site, I saw some people with the membership were rejected for citizenship. It seems there is a sort of 10-year ban of citizenship eligibility after the membership was terminated. Should I wait for several years and then apply? Frankly this is not what I want. If apply now, do I include a statement regarding the membership? Such as the statement I submitted when applying for IR1visa. Or a new statement?

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

This appears to be your thread from 2011 - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/42851-a-question-about-ccp/

This document appears to also be worth perusing for ways to present your membership activities -

Download MS Word Document contributed by member, Cathy & Bruce: CCP Essay

But, by and large, you passed the CCP issue well enough to get your green card. I don't think it'll be much of an issue for your citizenship.

Where did you read about "10-year ban of citizenship eligibility after the membership was terminated"? Can you provide a link to the thread?

If you joined for work reasons, this is what you should state. If for political ideal, this can cause problems.

Even just how you answer questions at interview can cause problems.

See: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46102-citizenship-denied-advice-please/

Hi Randy and Dnoblett,

Thanks for suggestions. So 9B question was asking the reason of joining the party?

Yes, it was my question three years ago. I can not find my password to old account so create a new one. I do not know if there was a ban of citizenship. Some comments (from the thread that her husband's application was rejected) indicated it.

Everything goes very well with us. We have been blessed greatly with a growing family, a new home, a new job and new friends... Wish all of you and people here have a happy life in US.

Thank you again.

Hi Randy and Dnoblett,

Thanks for suggestions. So 9B question was asking the reason of joining the party?

Yes, it was my question three years ago. I can not find my password to old account so create a new one. I do not know if there was a ban of citizenship. Some comments (from the thread that her husband's application was rejected) indicated it.

Everything goes very well with us. We have been blessed greatly with a growing family, a new home, a new job and new friends... Wish all of you and people here have a happy life in US.

Thank you again.

Yes - answering that question with "Political Party" might lead the examiner to think you joined for political reasons

From the "Citizenship denied - advice please" thread

You also stated that you joined the Communist Party for a better future.

According to your statement, you had a been a member of the Communist Party within the 10-year period immediately preceding the filing of your application for naturalization on June 2, 2013. Your membership was voluntary since you stated that no one forced you to join the Communist Party.

The N-400 instructions tell you to "include a written explanation on an additional sheet(s) of paper and provide any evidence to support your answer".

Keep in mind that although the denial came from a particularly bull-headed officer, you would do well to emphasize the need to join the party for employment purposes, whether it was actually required or not.

Thanks for dropping by again!

• 8 months later...

We are in the same situation. She updated her explanation letter from the one she submitted for her K-1. The one tricky thing is that she never formally quit, she was technically active up until she left China (as she was still employed and didn't want to jeopardize that... she also explained this in the letter). She obviously hasn't paid dues or participated since so by default she is out. Although it was not required for her job, in higher education, it is highly encouraged and "looks good on your resume" so may have had an indirect influence on getting her job as a professor.

Will report back how it turns out. I am sure it will come up in the interview!

We are in the same situation. She updated her explanation letter from the one she submitted for her K-1. The one tricky thing is that she never formally quit, she was technically active up until she left China (as she was still employed and didn't want to jeopardize that... she also explained this in the letter). She obviously hasn't paid dues or participated since so by default she is out. Although it was not required for her job, in higher education, it is highly encouraged and "looks good on your resume" so may have had an indirect influence on getting her job as a professor.

Will report back how it turns out. I am sure it will come up in the interview!

Needs to be solid that joining was strictly a requirement for employment, and not ideological or political. For example where I work I am required to join a union, though I tend to not agree with much of the Union political ideology.