Married in USA, now want to marry in China: steps to do so ?

Started this journey in July of 2008,

Married my Chinese wife in Aug of 2010 in the USA

she now has her 10 year green card....

Now we want to get married in China

What documents will I need to marry in China?

besides my passport, and our USA Marriage license

I know she will need her China residence documents

and possible her divorce document ....

since we are already married, will we need to go to

Guangzhou for the "Marriageability Affidavit"

seems like all the info is for the first marriage in China

any help or info will be appreciated....thanks

Started this journey in July of 2008,

Married my Chinese wife in Aug of 2010 in the USA

she now has her 10 year green card....

Now we want to get married in China

What documents will I need to marry in China?

besides my passport, and our USA Marriage license

I know she will need her China residence documents

and possible her divorce document ....

since we are already married, will we need to go to

Guangzhou for the "Marriageability Affidavit"

seems like all the info is for the first marriage in China

any help or info will be appreciated....thanks

You are already married. You will obviously be unable to obtain a single certification, and unable to get married again.

To use your marriage certificate in China, you MAY be required to have it certified for use in China.

There is a process to follow for getting your marriage certificate certified for use in China. It involves Dept. of State (state level) certification of the certificate, and then getting THAT certified by your Chinese consulate.

This would allow you to use the marriage certificate at the PSB, for visa purposes, and purchase of property.

To authenticate your marriage certificate for use in China

Notarization/Authentication Guidelines

Authentication

In accordance with international practice and consular practice in China, the purpose of consular authentication is to ensure that notarial deeds issued in one country can be acknowledged by relevant authorities in another country, and the deeds can have its due legal effect, which shall not be affected by doubts on the authenticity of the seal or signature on the deeds.

The Chinese Embassy in the United States can authenticate notarial deeds and other documents issued by relevant authorities of the United States for use in China. The deeds or documents should be certified by the Authentication Office of the U.S. Department of State first.

Note that this MAY NOT BE NECESSARY, if a Chinese-language translation of the document is accepted.

Guys, thanks for the response

I have sent of for a certified copy of our marriage certificate/license

when received, I will have further certified by the "Secretary of State Office"

then forward to the Chinese Consulate/Embassy Houston Texas to be notarized

then take with me to China.

I found some of the info at the "Visa Express" site, Houston, where I always

procure my Visa to China

This presented to the Civil Affairs Office, Hunan Province, Changsha

should be most of the documentation I will need

along with

Passport and travel documents

required 2"x2" photo, red background, my wife and I together

and our wedding photos taken in the USA

She is also checking with the Civil Affairs Office in Changsha.

My wife is presently in China, she traveled early, and I soon be meeting

her, for our marriage there and just general vacation. We will be returning

together, back to the USA

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived in China about a week ago, in Yueyang,

home city of my wife. Today, I had her call the

Office if Civil Affairs, Changsha, where the marriage license is

issued, they are telling her since we are married in the USA,

they we can get our red book and marriage document at

the American Consulate in the USA.... but not at the civil affairs

office in Changsha

It seems like they are running us around in a circle.....it is too

late to call the Embassy in the USA.....Houston, but will contact them

to see if they do issue a China marriage document/Red Book

I am really questioning this ????

Arrived in China about a week ago, in Yueyang,

home city of my wife. Today, I had her call the

Office if Civil Affairs, Changsha, where the marriage license is

issued, they are telling her since we are married in the USA,

they we can get our red book and marriage document at

the American Consulate in the USA.... but not at the civil affairs

office in Changsha

It seems like they are running us around in a circle.....it is too

late to call the Embassy in the USA.....Houston, but will contact them

to see if they do issue a China marriage document/Red Book

I am really questioning this ????

Don't forget that you are already married! If you NEED a marriage certificate for use in China, follow the procedure I gave you earlier.

Ours was certified by the Chinese consulate in Houston - no red book was issued.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Where do I register my marriage?
All marriages in China must be registered with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office (民政局 Min Zheng Ju), within the city or town where you or your fiancé/fiancée are registered. Persons planning to marry should visit or call the appropriate office for complete details on registering your marriage.

Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place. Marriages that are legal in the jurisdiction in which they were performed are legal in the United States. It is not necessary to register your marriage at the Embassy or in the United States, nor do you need to re-marry in the United States.

Above copied and pasted

I was contacted by the USA Consulate, San Francisco, since we were married in Vegas, our paperwork/certified marriage license was transferred to SF for authentication. Randy was correct, no red book issued there/USA.

I thought this would be simple, just present our certified marriage license to the local Civil Affairs Office and Red Book would be automatic. They, the Chinese government considered being married in China(see above copied and pasted), one woiuld think if married in the USA, be the reverse, and Red Book woiuld be issued without a fuss ??

Guess my next step is to contact the USA Consulate in Guangzhou, but I have searched their site and found nothing on what we are trying to do ??

I truly think we are getting the run around by the local Civil Affairs Office, Changsha, Hunan......

Where do I register my marriage?

All marriages in China must be registered with the Chinese Civil Affairs Office (民政局 Min Zheng Ju), within the city or town where you or your fiancé/fiancée are registered. Persons planning to marry should visit or call the appropriate office for complete details on registering your marriage.

Marriage certificates are usually issued on the same day the registration takes place. Marriages that are legal in the jurisdiction in which they were performed are legal in the United States. It is not necessary to register your marriage at the Embassy or in the United States, nor do you need to re-marry in the United States.

Above copied and pasted

I was contacted by the USA Consulate, San Francisco, since we were married in Vegas, our paperwork/certified marriage license was transferred to SF for authentication. Randy was correct, no red book issued there/USA.

I thought this would be simple, just present our certified marriage license to the local Civil Affairs Office and Red Book would be automatic. They, the Chinese government considered being married in China(see above copied and pasted), one woiuld think if married in the USA, be the reverse, and Red Book woiuld be issued without a fuss ??

Guess my next step is to contact the USA Consulate in Guangzhou, but I have searched their site and found nothing on what we are trying to do ??

I truly think we are getting the run around by the local Civil Affairs Office, Changsha, Hunan......

YOU CANNOT GET MARRIED TWICE.

YOU ARE ALREADY MARRIED.

Hang it up, already.

Thanks again for the response.... Will "Hang up" the marriage part in China.

Reason we married in the USA, Wife entered USA with "Fiancee Visa", married within the 90 days of arrival in the USA.

What I am trying to procure: Proper documentation for:

1. To eliminate buying/acquiring a China Visa to visit China every year we visit her family.

2. The ability to stay more than 60 days at a time, without having to leave China at Hong kong, then re-inter.

I thought the Marriage "Red Book" would take care of the above.

I now understand/realize that the "Marriage Red Book" is un-obtainable.

Now I am asking what "Document" can I procure to eliminate the above 1 and 2? and do I procure in China or USA ?

Surely, I am not the one that has encountered this ? I am in China at this time until Oct 21.

Thanks in advance, any info will be appreciated

Edited by rockurob (see edit history)

Thanks again for the response.... Will "Hang up" the marriage part in China.

Reason we married in the USA, Wife entered USA with "Fiancee Visa", married within the 90 days of arrival in the USA.

What I am trying to procure: Proper documentation for:

1. To eliminate buying/acquiring a China Visa to visit China every year we visit her family.

2. The ability to stay more than 60 days at a time, without having to leave China at Hong kong, then re-inter.

I thought the Marriage "Red Book" would take care of the above.

I now understand/realize that the "Marriage Red Book" is un-obtainable.

Now I am asking what "Document" can I procure to eliminate the above 1 and 2? and do I procure in China or USA ?

Surely, I am not the one that has encountered this ? I am in China at this time until Oct 21.

Thanks in advance, any info will be appreciated

Go to your PSB Entry/Exit bureau to ask what they can do for you. You MUST always have a valid visa or residence permit, but extended stays can be handled through the PSB. I have been in China since Jan., 2011 without ever leaving the country.

The visas issued overseas (in the U.S. ) are generally short term. The longer term stays are handled by the PSB. It sounds like all you need is an extension of your existing visa, but they will tell you exactly what you need. For a LONG stay (such as mine), you may need to buy a new visa from the PSB, but these will usually come with no length of stay limitation.

The red book is simply a registration of a Chinese marriage, serving the same purpose as our marriage certificates. It does NOT convey any privileges such as entering or staying in the country.

1) being married to a Chinese citizen or former citizen asy wife is qualifies you for 2 two year visa or even a 5 year one if you go to your China consulate and interview for it.

2) you qualify for a longer stay due to family in China.

My wife has a two year visa, and could have gotten a five year one if we went to MYC consulate and interviewed for it.

Some additional details from the visa service my wife and I use.

https://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

Guys, again thanks for the info.....

I did find this, information, which I will copy and paste on a "Residence Permit"

I need to procure or get the 10 Year Green Book from the PSB (Police Security Bureau) or (Police Department).

(just looked at my Visa, I have an "L " Visa, so I guess, can't get the 10 year one while I am here this time, needs to be a "D" Visa)

anyway, thanks for steering me in correct direction.

Your initial visa grants you the right to enter China for a specific purpose, but expires after a few months. If you wish to stay longer in China, you will need to apply for a residence permit which works like a multiple-entry visa, allowing you to leave the country and return without an additional visa as long as the permit remains valid (even if your original visa has expired).

There are three types of residence permits that allow you to live in China:

• Permanent residence permits (little green booklets) are issued to those holding a D visa and are renewable every 10 years.
  • Temporary residence permits are valid for 6-12 months. Generally required for visiting scholars or those entering for job training.
  • Foreigner Residence Permits are normally valid for one year and are renewable annually. They are the standard residence permits issued to the majority of foreigners working in China.

Guys, again thanks for the info.....

I did find this, information, which I will copy and paste on a "Residence Permit"

I need to procure or get the 10 Year Green Book from the PSB (Police Security Bureau) or (Police Department).

(just looked at my Visa, I have an "L " Visa, so I guess, can't get the 10 year one while I am here this time, needs to be a "D" Visa)

anyway, thanks for steering me in correct direction.

Your initial visa grants you the right to enter China for a specific purpose, but expires after a few months. If you wish to stay longer in China, you will need to apply for a residence permit which works like a multiple-entry visa, allowing you to leave the country and return without an additional visa as long as the permit remains valid (even if your original visa has expired).

There are three types of residence permits that allow you to live in China:

• Permanent residence permits (little green booklets) are issued to those holding a D visa and are renewable every 10 years.
  • Temporary residence permits are valid for 6-12 months. Generally required for visiting scholars or those entering for job training.
  • Foreigner Residence Permits are normally valid for one year and are renewable annually. They are the standard residence permits issued to the majority of foreigners working in China.

You'll find the D visa either next to impossible or actually impossible to get. You need to work with your PSB Entry/Exit Bureau on this, NOT try to follow what you read on the internet. D visas are all but obsolete.

You are making two BIG mistakes - first, you are believing what you read (most of it is obsolete), and secondly, you are trying to tell THEM (and us) what you need.

A residence permit is a visa, issued by the PSB, which will be affixed to your passport, just like any other visa.

YOU NEED TO TALK TO THE PSB ENTRY/EXIT BUREAU AND FIND OUT WHAT THEY REQUIRE.

Someone reported recently that the Q1 visa was listed as a requirement for a residence permit by THEIR PSB. You will be eligible to apply for the 10 year permit AFTER YOU HAVE LIVED HERE FOR 5 YEARS. Until then, you may apply for a visa overseas. You may get extensions on your length of stay, you may apply for an unlimited length of stay visa/permit - AT THE PSB.

Go to your PSB Entry/Exit bureau to ask what they can do for you. You MUST always have a valid visa or residence permit, but extended stays can be handled through the PSB. I have been in China since Jan., 2011 without ever leaving the country.

The visas issued overseas (in the U.S. ) are generally short term. The longer term stays are handled by the PSB. It sounds like all you need is an extension of your existing visa, but they will tell you exactly what you need. For a LONG stay (such as mine), you may need to buy a new visa from the PSB, but these will usually come with no length of stay limitation.

Keep copies of your authenticated marriage certificate and your wife's passport and China ID card handy.