Reestablishing Domicile

I am wondering how to reestablish domicile. I know that the best case scenario is to actually travel back to the U.S., get a job, and get a lease or buy a house, but that's just not going to happen with me... At least I hope that's not the way things will work. That's my plan B. Plan A is to leave for the U.S. at the same time with my wife and three daughters. So...

I was wondering if anyone out there can share some "reestablishing domicile" experiences with me that don't include the awful plan B scenario above?

Also I was wondering what kind of documents are acceptable proof of "search for employment" or "search for residence"? I "search" even the correct word? I don't even know what "search for employment" means since I am currently in China. How does one earnestly search for a job or residence when they aren't even sure when their family will be allowed to immigrate? I realize I sound sarcastic but... I'm honestly wondering if anyone has a good answer to this question.

Thank you all so much for such a great community site! I truly believe this site has the potential to change peoples lives and have seen examples of it here.

Study topics tagged Domicile

What some have done shortly after filing the I-130 is to travel to the USA and re establish domicile for the I-864 which is needed later for the interview.

Another pitfall besides domicile is tax returns, many living outside the USA fail to file them figuring that foreign income is for the most part exempt from reporting. if you have not filed returns do so now, there is no penalty unless you owe tax.

Also if you married before December of last year, do not file the return as unmarried, you have two options, a joint return which would require an ITIN for spouse, or married filing separate.

I am wondering how to reestablish domicile. I know that the best case scenario is to actually travel back to the U.S., get a job, and get a lease or buy a house, but that's just not going to happen with me... At least I hope that's not the way things will work. That's my plan B. Plan A is to leave for the U.S. at the same time with my wife and three daughters. So...

I was wondering if anyone out there can share some "reestablishing domicile" experiences with me that don't include the awful plan B scenario above?

Also I was wondering what kind of documents are acceptable proof of "search for employment" or "search for residence"? I "search" even the correct word? I don't even know what "search for employment" means since I am currently in China. How does one earnestly search for a job or residence when they aren't even sure when their family will be allowed to immigrate? I realize I sound sarcastic but... I'm honestly wondering if anyone has a good answer to this question.

Thank you all so much for such a great community site! I truly believe this site has the potential to change peoples lives and have seen examples of it here.

Your search for employment can include online sources, such as Monster, LinkedIn, etc. contact with a recruiting agent in your intended home town - whatever can provide you with active leads, hopefully including interview invitations. A resume showing your experience and previous salary levels would probably be helpful.

Your domicile should be a viable residence for you and your wife to return to when you first arrive in the U.S.

Get creative.

Also, from what I understand, if you have "a current address" in the U.S. (ie your parents or a friend's place where your mail is sent to), that can work too, as well as a valid U.S. driver's license, bank accounts, etc., it seems like these type of things also help satisfy the domicile issue and show you haven't abandoned your ties to the U.S.