Tourist Visa Marriage but don't stay in US

Hi All,

First time posting, hope this isn't a repost.

My situation/question is. If I (US citizen) get married in the states to my Chinese citizen wife while she's on tourist visa, and we leave the states after the marriage. Next time entering the states, what type of visa does she need? If to enter just for couple weeks will another tourist visa suffice? or will we run into trouble with that.

The situation is that we like to get married in the states but don't plan to live in the states in the near future but would like to keep our options open. How will this effect her future entering and exiting US?

What do you guys think the best route to take and any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

James

If she already has a B-2 tourist visa, simply renew it. No change in visa type, unless you plan on moving to the USA.

Also beware, entry is to visit, if POE asks and suspects that marriage may happen while visiting, they may get the wrong impression and think immigrating on a B-2 and can deny entry. Marriage while visiting is fine, it's adjusting status and immigrating after the marriage that causes problems which typically requires a K-1 visa. Since you have no immigrant intent, you should be fine with the B-2. Just avoid tipping off the POE about the marriage intent.

Thanks,

We have already took a trip together already so she already has an entry/exit under her belt so I think the her entry next time should go smoothly. My concern is that lets say 2 years down the road, and we are legally married, and we decides to go for a visit, will we run into any troubles? and lets say 5 years down the road we do decide to stay longer in the states how will our marriage status effect any type of future visa/resident application?

Bottom line is that we like to have the flexibility of entry and exit at will, what is the best route to take as we haven''t really done anything yet, would like to do it right from the beginning and not regret later on.

Thanks

The consulate renews visas by mail for prior visa holders, simply renew it when it expires.

I would leave the passport in maiden name and travel under maiden name, until if/and when you decide to move to the USA, at which point you may file a spouse visa petition using married name which would require an addendum added to the passport for married name.