Travel thru Shanghai

Hello, just wanted to give an update about my return trip thru Shanghai. My jiejie directed me to take the airport ( between the two airport) shuttle and not take a taxi. It cost 30 yuan and took about 60 minute to get from airport to airport. There was some traffic(on Saturday afternoon) but it wasn't that bad. When I got to Pudong Airport I was able to catch a free shuttle to Jin Jiang Hotel. Caught that shuttle down on the first floor at terminal 2. There were at least 5 or 6 different hotels that had counter downstairs on the first floor. The only one that busy was the counter for my hotel. The hotel is only 5 city blocks away the terminal or maybe I should say 5 traffic lights. There wasn't anything stores or business on that road just trees. The only thing that I saw on that road was a train stop that was two lights before my hotel. The Ramada Inn was just a little further up the road on the other side of the road. Perhaps 8-9 city blocks. I did wander around the Pudong Airport terminal. Like Doug mention there is a hotel inside the airport. It is between the two terminals. I think the name of the hotel is called Dazhong Hotel. I also saw a billboard with a Hotel 168 info but I am not sure where that one is. In China I did try to find them on online but wasn't able to find them. Okay I just looked looked around and I was able to find some info at this Agoda site:

http://www.agoda.com/da-zhong-pudong-airport-hotel-shanghai/hotel/shanghai-cn.html?asq=Hze2HnYeSdtdi2ix70OOuPCxuBiKmqekn5U%2b1mTktxS0AlTjJ20PNbM5NghRKwhxyQVXRrxGSrW%2f0NDePHfdMZ%2bjXnDoW6WjRlbHQfgH7FSLiw9xhCioM2dLFcuNQqLZeZ9TXAlhUplOV3Voa0FCHQoqJzDtcS5TcqmBQ5toYvf8p%2b%2f4SSLARXhl6GckIsR7%2fl9EGC9bu6Q9jK8qmEGuYoztKcqrA6YHzsZDMN1xWUDi9gFJ3zoRUUxA1bXicT8i

In China I wasn't able to get the map function to work but in the states it is working better. But I am not sure if the locations are exactly correct. On the Agoda map I also noticed that there is a JijnJiang Hotel and a JinJiang Inn. They are just located on opposite side of the road/highway. On the Hotel.com map the hotels are in slightly different locations. The two maps do nor agree with each other.

The Jin Jiang Hotel 40-50 USD ) was okay but for 18 dollars more I would probably give the DaZong Hote l(68 USD) a try the next time. No shuttle needed and a lot more easier options to get something to eat and to shop.

If I ever go thru Shanghai again I will try to use just one airport ( probably Pudong) and will try the Dazhong Hotel. Thanks to everyone for all the info and advice. Danb

PS: on my next trip I would really like to try out that Maglev train. This trip I was just a little too tired.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am looking at staying at Pudong airport. I am going to try the DaZhong Hotel that is right there at the airport between the two terminals. Someone had suggested that I try it. Sorry I can't find the post to give him credit. Seems to be very convenient.

Here is a link:

http://www.agoda.com/da-zhong-pudong-airport-hotel-shanghai/reviews/shanghai-cn.html

They quoted a price of 68 dollars. I was reading some of the reviews and it sound like there may be a Motel 168 at the airport but I couldn't find enough info on that hotel. Danb

PS, when I was searching for the Da Zhong Hotel I found several other hotels that seem to have either the same name or something very similar. The write up on them were great and the prices was lower. But when I read the small print I found that the hotel was 5-10 km from the airport.

FYI, just found this, here is another link to the hotel's website:

http://www.dazhongairporthotel.com/index.php?Locale=en-us

Nice photo of the sky bar and it mentions that the Maglev station is right below it and in the photo shown is Motel 168 right next door. The internet gives up a lot of info if you look long enough.

There is actually 2 hotels between the terminals, but they use the same check in counter. Kind of a 2-in-1 thing. I have stayed in both. Yes, one of them is the Motel 168, or used to be. They are pretty good for China, but a bit old. The 168 has some awkward round bed. The only thing I didn't care for is the big mirror in the bathroom. It sticks out and looks to be 2-way. I always wonder if they have a camera behind it. Oh, well let them look if they want. I can't remember the bathroom on the other side (hotel) which cost a little more, I think. It has been awhile, since most of the flights I use leave in the afternoon now. I never made a reservation for either, but probably a good idea.

We stayed in a Pudong hotel once, and loved it, but the worry is the bus getting you to your flight in time. Everything in China runs on such a strict schedule, but there was an accident and the street was plugged. I barely made it, so if we stay, it is always in one of those 2 hotels between the terminals. Identical twin towers.

Edited by Doug (see edit history)

There is actually 2 hotels between the terminals, but they use the same check in counter. Kind of a 2-in-1 thing. I have stayed in both. Yes, one of them is the Motel 168, or used to be. They are pretty good for China, but a bit old. The 168 has some awkward round bed. The only thing I didn't care for is the big mirror in the bathroom. It sticks out and looks to be 2-way. I always wonder if they have a camera behind it. Oh, well let them look if they want. I can't remember the bathroom on the other side (hotel) which cost a little more, I think. It has been awhile, since most of the flights I use leave in the afternoon now. I never made a reservation for either, but probably a good idea.

We stayed in a Pudong hotel once, and loved it, but the worry is the bus getting you to your flight in time. Everything in China runs on such a strict schedule, but there was an accident and the street was plugged. I barely made it, so if we stay, it is always in one of those 2 hotels between the terminals. Identical twin towers.

Doug you would be right about that camera thingame. When the wife got out of college her very first job was an accountant at a large hotel in Beijing. I felt suspicious about this thing too and ask her. Her answer was yes some of the rooms do indeed have hidden cameras in them. That would explain why she never took her clothes off while visiting me in my room.

You never know who is watching. She said that they used the excuse that they were looking for drug dealers.

I always try and give hotel cameras the show of their life, rather I am with Wenyan or a blow up critter!!! At the hotel in Athens, Al, where I stayed on my visit with I had a critter malfunction. On the morning of the last day there, I was riding my blowup hippo. Going for the 3rd time and the hippo was already loaded...so to speak. Suddenly, in mid stroke the dern darlin' blew up with a loud explosion (I thought it was incoming....instead of outgoing) and with a loud long farting sound my prized hippo flew around the room spreading latex parts and a certain liquid discharge all over the room. I had jumped under the bed, luckily and didn't get spewed on but the room was a sticky disaster. Took me two hours and all of the warsh cloths and towels to wipe down the room.

It wuz awful I tells ya, and it made me late to Mick's, I hope at least somebody got a good laugh out of it. :victory:

I can only imagine the thoughts going through the minds of hotel security in the hotels Wenyan and I stayed in over yonder there in Chinartucky. I hope they learned some imaginative new tricks, and that some CHinese wimmins are really turned on when you leave all of the lights in the room on brightly when you make whoopie (I think Winnie would have put her clothes back on and told me to go take care of myself in the bathroom if I had tried to dim or turn out the lights). :happydance: I haven't found any videos of us posted online. :rotfl:

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi. I just wanted to mention that on my return trip from China via Detroit this January clearing custom and immigration was a little different then my last trips. After I deboarded the plane and walked done to the large processing area I got in one of the lines for American citizens. I waited my turn to use one of the electronic kiosk machines. There might have been 10-12 of them. I scanned my passport and I filled in my Custom Declaration form on line. I got some printed piece of paper when I was done. Got back into line and was processed by one of those guys in the booths. Was asked a couple of question where and what I did in China. and then he said Welcomed to America. After that I went and pickup my baggage and got in line again. Now I had to go thru customs. Usually I just go thru customs. Not this time. Went thru this color line and over to that color lines. They checked my baggage. Asked me what I had inside. Seem like they were interested in certain items. Mostly counterfeit goods and cigarettes. Maybe extra money too. Most of the other passengers were Chinese. It seemed that they got check a little more than I did. It is a good thing that I had some extra time before my connecting flight. Danb

• Like 2

Doug you would be right about that camera thingame. When the wife got out of college her very first job was an accountant at a large hotel in Beijing. I felt suspicious about this thing too and ask her. Her answer was yes some of the rooms do indeed have hidden cameras in them. That would explain why she never took her clothes off while visiting me in my room.

You never know who is watching. She said that they used the excuse that they were looking for drug dealers.

The more I think about it, the other side hotel, did not have the 2 way mirror covering the whole wall. Hotel 168 does. So stay on the slightly higher rate hotel side.

Like Tsapper my wife and I didn't care.

Tsap, did Mick shake your hand when Yall met?

Hi. I just wanted to mention that on my return trip from China via Detroit this January clearing custom and immigration was a little different then my last trips. After I deboarded the plane and walked done to the large processing area I got in one of the lines for American citizens. I waited my turn to use one of the electronic kiosk machines. There might have been 10-12 of them. I scanned my passport and I filled in my Custom Declaration form on line. I got some printed piece of paper when I was done. Got back into line and was processed by one of those guys in the booths. Was asked a couple of question where and what I did in China. and then he said Welcomed to America. After that I went and pickup my baggage and got in line again. Now I had to go thru customs. Usually I just go thru customs. Not this time. Went thru this color line and over to that color lines. They checked my baggage. Asked me what I had inside. Seem like they were interested in certain items. Mostly counterfeit goods and cigarettes. Maybe extra money too. Most of the other passengers were Chinese. It seemed that they got check a little more than I did. It is a good thing that I had some extra time before my connecting flight. Danb

Sounds par for the course, I have cleared through both Chicago and Detroit, the only thing in the past I did not deal with is the passport scanning kiosk, at the time it was Immigration booth, then customs, where you re-check baggage, and then on to the domestic terminal.

Yeah, I had one flight a few years back where they scrutinized most of the people on the plane much more closely than they usually do. I've been lucky so far, and haven't had to go through a baggage check.

I was admonished on my recent trip that I should have declared my "excess baggage" - four extra boxes that I shipped at the same time I was flying - to Customs at the POE (China). Even that went very smoothly, though, although there was a little bit of confusion at first about the nature of the shipment. No fees were charged.

• Like 1