Question about china travel visa (Q1-Q2)

Travel visa time.

My buddy Bob is going back to China to visit his wife and needs a new visa.

We always use Oasis China Visa

While filling out the visa application form (PDF version)

part 2: 2.1 (travel information) it lists many visa types.

it will only let you select one option.

We selected (Sort-term visit to Chinese citizen or foreigner with Chinese permanent residence status)

Then you must Apply online

You fill out all the basic info and then you get to where it asks visa type.

It lists many different visa types (one being tourist visa-L) and at the bottom of the drop down list it

also has other.

There is no choice for the Q1-Q2 visa.

My question is: On the apply online form do we select other or the tourist visa-L

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

I doubt that it matters, especially if he's traveling for less than 30 days. For 30 to 90, you might want to work with the service (or go directly to the consulate) to make sure he gets the correct length of stay. Above 90 to 180 days, they MAY just issue a short-term visa to allow time to head to the PSB Entry and Exit division for a visa issued by them.

Notice on the actual visa application pdf that there is a place to specify the purpose of the trip, including whether it's a short-term (less than 180 days) or a long term trip. The consulate will decide which type of visa to give you based on the information you provide.

I doubt that it matters, especially if he's traveling for less than 30 days. For 30 to 90, you might want to work with the service (or go directly to the consulate) to make sure he gets the correct length of stay. Above 90 to 180 days, they MAY just issue a short-term visa to allow time to head to the PSB Entry and Exit division for a visa issued by them.

Notice on the actual visa application pdf that there is a place to specify the purpose of the trip, including whether it's a short-term (less than 180 days) or a long term trip. The consulate will decide which type of visa to give you based on the information you provide.

Yes, We Checked the short term (Less than 180 days) though the online application does not state any option other than tourist-L or other.

This is where i get confused what to enter.

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

Yes, We Checked the short term (Less than 180 days) though the online application does not state any option other than tourist-L or other.

This is where i get confused what to enter.

I would think 'other' would pretty well cover it - even if they ultimately issue an L-visa. The online application thing is for the visa service folks only. The consulate will see the visa application (the pdf) and decide what to issue from that.

All you really can do when applying for visa is tell the truth - fill out the application, and let the consulate decide. They will sometimes issue a visa which simply allows you to enter the country, and then head to the PSB to get the details worked out for what you actually want to do - usually only if you indicate a desire to live or work in China.

There is WAY too much concern along the lines of "Which visa type to apply for" - the consulate will make that decision based on the information you provide. My own opinion is that the new regulations (from a year or so ago) are simply intended to clarify the administration of the various categories, and offload a LOT of the administration onto the local PSB, rather than the overseas consulates.

For my own visas, I had been issued L-visas with an unlimited stay - until the new regulations went into effect. The PSB had said that "residence permits" were only for people who also had work permits. When they read the new regulations, I believe they realized they should be issuing me a residence permit - and that's what I have for this year.