Inviting Relatives for a visit

Now a few of my wife's friends want to come visit but only for the 6 month visa. Is there any difference in the letter or forms needed to fill out? Is there a working link to the I-130 form. The one I found here appears to be a dead link. Also will the people applying have to report to Shanghai, Beijing or Guangzhou for the visa interviews?

My wife and I had to go through Guangzhou.

Feels weird having to do all this again.

I think my wife is conspiring to bring her whole graduation class over for holiday. Our house is only so big...lol

Bubba

I-130 is not for visiting, it is a petition to move to the USA permanently.

To visit the visitor has to file a DS-160, family in the states can write a letter of invitation, and provide an I-134 to show support.

The visa that my wife is wanting to work on now is for the classmate. Her sister will be traveling here maybe next year. Is there any difference between what is need for a friend? Would the process for friend or family be the same?

A B-2 is a B-2 friend or family it's the same.

Friend needs to follow the procedure as to how to apply for a visit visa, and will need to satisfy the interviewing officer that they have no intent to immigrate.

Friend would go here to see about applying for a B-2 visa: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/cn/cn-niv-visaapply.asp

And you can send friend an invitation letter and can offer support while visiting, an I-134 can be used to show this support.

The visa that my wife is wanting to work on now is for the classmate. Her sister will be traveling here maybe next year. Is there any difference between what is need for a friend? Would the process for friend or family be the same?

An INDIVIDUAL applies for their own visitor's visa. An American friend, family, or acquaintance may write a letter of invitation and/or supply an I-134 Affidavit of Support to show financial support.

IMMIGRATION through an I-130 petition is for immediate family members and is an entirely different process.

This is what I have written so far. Does this look alright and is the address in Shanghai correct?

To: American Counsulate General
Mei Long Zheng Plaza 8th Floor
Shanghai, China 200001

Subject : Issuance of visitors visa for my friend

Dear Visa Officer,

My wife and I would like to invite our friend, XXXXX to visit our home in my address for 4-6 months, so she may visit my wife and daughter. While here we would like to take her to visit Orlando, FL, Miami, FL, and Tampa, FL.

During her stay she will be residing with my family and I at our home in Lecanto, Florida.

Bubba

A good start, however I would probably give a set length of stay, say 3 or 4 months, the POE tends to set stay expiration for 6 months anyway. But a set length shows that the visitor anticipates returning after a set length of visit.

I would also give an itinerary of things you are planing or thinking to do, Orlando = Disney World, Tampa = Bush Gardens? Etc...

My father-in-law was just approved for a visa. I wrote a letter of invitation and an affidavit of support but they asked for neither.

They asked him why he wanted to come and he said for my wife's MBA graduation and when our baby is due in December (Did I mention my wife is due in December :) )

They asked him if he had any evidence and showed a copy of her green card and her student ID and the VO said "Congratulations, you are approved."

My wife and I filled out the visa application for him, I listed my wife as inviting him and me as the person who assisted in filling out the application.

For a friend it might be a bit more difficult but I was surprised how easy it was as my father-in-law is a widower with limited assets.

A good start, however I would probably give a set length of stay, say 3 or 4 months, the POE tends to set stay expiration for 6 months anyway. But a set length shows that the visitor anticipates returning after a set length of visit.

I would also give an itinerary of things you are planing or thinking to do, Orlando = Disney World, Tampa = Bush Gardens? Etc...

Yes that is helpful. To follow up on this, we have had many visitors from China. here is an example of a day by day itinerary that I have successfully used (complete with Florida tourism sites). I think it helps to list the flights to and from China since the US visitor visa is contingent on the Chinese visitor having "strong ties" to China and the presumption that the visitor will leave the USA and not remain illegally. Showing the flight home reservations (which can later be changed) is helpful in this regard. A detailed day by day plan has always worked for us.

Itinerary and Travel Plan for (Your Visitor Name Here) – Florida May/June 2008

May 26, 2008 Leave Beijing, PRC United Airlines Flight 850 to Chicago

Connection to United Airlines Flight 1258 to Tampa, Florida (airline reservation copy attached)

May 27, 2008 – June 10, 2008 Accommodations at ABC Condominium Unit xxx at 101 E.Main Street in Tampa, Florida 33601

· May 28, 2008 Sarasota, Florida including Ringling Art Museum

· May 29, 2008 St. Petersburg, Florida including Salvadore Dali Art Museum

· May 30, 2008 trip to Homasassa Springs, Florida Manatee Sanctuary

· May 31, 2009 tour to Tarpon Springs, Florida including Greek Sponge Diving village

· June 1, 2008 Historical Ybor City museums section of Tampa, Florida

· June 2, 2008 Downtown Tampa, Florida including Tampa Art Museum, University of Tampa

· June 3, 2008 Clearwater Beach Gulf of Mexico - swimming

· June 4, 2008 Busch Gardens Tampa Theme Park

· June 5, 2008 rest day / local shopping available

· June 6, 2008 Tampa Museum of Science and Industry

· June 7, 2008 Bok Tower Nature Sanctuary Lake Wales Florida

· June 8, 2008 Adventure Island Theme Park Water Park

· June 9, 2008 St. Petersburg Beach Florida - swimming

· June 10, 2008 St. Petersburg - Deep Sea Fishing trip to Gulf of Mexico

June 11, 2008 – June 21, 2008 Accommodations at Walt Disney World Contemporary Resort

· June 11, 2008 Walt Disney EPCOT

· June 12, 2008 Walt Disney Blizzard Beach Water Park

· June 13, 2008 Sea World Orlando

· June 14, 2008 Walt Disney Animal Kingdom

· June 15, 2008 day trip to Kennedy Space Center

· June 16, 2008 Universal Studios Isles of Adventure

· June 17, 2008 Orlando outlet mall shopping trip

· June 18, 2008 Walt Disney Hollywood Studies

· June 19, 2008 day trip to St. Augustine, Florida

· June 20, 2008 Walt Disney Magic Kingdom

· June 21, 2008 Gatorland Alligator Farm and Swamp Buggy Ride and Tour

June 22, 2008 – June 26, 2008 Return to ABC Condominium Unit xxx at 101 E.Main Street in Tampa, Florida 33601

· June 22, 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Baseball Game/local sights

· June 23, 2008 Honeymoon Island Nature Preserve

· June 24, 2008 day trip to Florida’s Silver Springs Park

· June 25, 2008 Canoe trip - Hillsborough River

June 26, 2008 Return to Beijing United Airlines Flight 1243 to Washington (Dulles) (airline reservation copy attached)

Connection to United Airlines Flight 897 to Beijing, PRC

FWIW most of our Chinese visitors loved nature and outdoor activities like parks, swimming at the beach, canoe trips, boat rides, nature preserves, alligator farms, zoos a lot more than the crowded man made tourist traps like Disney World or Universal Studios. Most of our visitors were reluctant to go on any roller coasters or thrill rides and they seemed to get annoyed with the crowds (which really surprised me since there are lots of crowds in China). Small things that we Americans would ignore like seeing a squirrel in a tree or a bird on the lawn really stood out to them. Kennedy Space Center is a big hit as it is unlike anything they have seen in China, - as is the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota and Bok Tower Gardens. Also everyone loved going out to east and shopping as everything (even stuff made in China) is "so much cheaper in the USA"

Hope this helps.

True Blue

My father-in-law was just approved for a visa. I wrote a letter of invitation and an affidavit of support but they asked for neither.

They asked him why he wanted to come and he said for my wife's MBA graduation and when our baby is due in December (Did I mention my wife is due in December :) )

They asked him if he had any evidence and showed a copy of her green card and her student ID and the VO said "Congratulations, you are approved."

My wife and I filled out the visa application for him, I listed my wife as inviting him and me as the person who assisted in filling out the application.

For a friend it might be a bit more difficult but I was surprised how easy it was as my father-in-law is a widower with limited assets.

Congratulations!