7 things you won't find in China

Notice after the social media, foreign films and websites/free speech, it goes on to say about Chinese immigration:

"Almost two-thirds of Chinese with more than 10 million yuan ($1.6 million) in the bank have emigrated, or are planning to, according to Hurun, a research firm that studies trends in China."

and USA is first target:

"Almost 82,000 individuals born in China were granted permanent resident status by the U.S. in 2012, according to the Department of Homeland Security. The number was even higher in 2011."

Which illustrates (what we already know): it's bad to be a "green-card hunter" if you're poor, but it's a good thing if you have a million bucks.

Wait until the culture figures out what kind of people they have been welcoming into this country ......

Greg

No one is talking about this, but I have really had my eyes opened in the last year or two to the ethics of mainlanders who come here as a couple, get citizenship, form their own communities, take jobs that would be considered "trusted positions" and cheat the hell out of the system. Because, we're too naive to think that they didn't leave the me-first, rules are for suckers, get-mine, suck what I can out of this system rules of behavior back in China. I have been working with (and made friends with) Chinese for 25 years (here) but worked all over China the last couple. I am an outsider and a guest when I am there so I don't get bent out of shape about what one does to survive there.

But here, in business and in academia, at least some are violating our traditions of ethical behavior (which we blithely assumed they would adopt). In business, they hide it - so you know they know it is "wrong". In education, they run little sweatshops in their domains, often load up with Chinese students, and maintain a pipeline back to China where they are getting positions, face, money, IP, etc. Also, they operate here like they do there: kiss my ring, suck up to me, what's yours is mine, what's mine is mine ... and, no, I'm not ignorant of our norms, I know the difference between business and a feudal system from 100 years ago in China. We were blind (greedy) to the problems of importing a culture that doesn't play nice with ours. And no, I don't mean petty transgressions that any cultural background is capable of, I mean a wholesale transplanting of Chinese values into our business and educational communities.

It is sad to me when people, 'Mericans or Chinese, go to another culture but don't open up to it. I don't like when people come to my country (USA) and exploit our good will. When my girlfriend (and future wife) comes here she does everything she can do to avoid Chinese like I've described above (not the kind that are spouses of members of this site). The few times she crossed paths with some when she was here, they were, as she knew would happen, voracious in their attempts to interrogate her and decide if they could look down on her or could get some benefit from "knowing" her.

Again, I am not talking about all Chinese and, in particular, those who are family members now in mixed-cultural marriages - I am talking about the ones who get here with money, marry each other or are already married, mostly mix with each other, and scam the snot out of every situation.

Yep, that's my first rant here - sorry if it's in the wrong forum. I am curious to know if anybody else thinks we may be incubating societal malignancies here. I like that the group attitude is upbeat and open to cross-cultural mixing and fertilizing and I feel a little bad about these comments. But, I see it, I've seen it, I have some pretty shocking stories - but the main subplot is we Americans are dumb and too trusting and more or less have it coming to us.

Also, I am curious if spouses from China feel comfortable mixing with the full immigrant communities in North America - I would love to have my perceptions be corrected by their experiences.

Greg

Greg, I suppose part of accepting new cultures into our society of immigrants is that we have to also accept the not so good aspects of their culture too.

I see what you're witnessing too. I also see changes in attitudes and ways of dealing and interacting among Chinese who begin to venture outside their quanxi Chinese communities and into American mainstream life. It's when Americans like you and me call them on their shit. You know how they do not like nor will get in someone's face like we Americans will and do. Part of what I tell them is that we Americans are charitable, but do not take advantage or you will woefully regret it. They fear the law and they fear our legal system and they often fear us who know the deeds they deal in. They can cheat each other, but best not try to do it to me.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

I can tell you that my wife has NOTHING what so ever to do with ANY Chinese men or women that have immigrated here. I was anxious to introduce her to some when she came here and did but it was quickly stopped by her. The very first two were doctor's wives and both of them was telling her independently how to take what I had and my mother too. She was very pissed and told them that she came her for a home and a husband and not money that she had a good job and money in China. That's all I'll say about it I don't want to get to negative and seem like I am ranting against China or Chinese immigrants.

Larry