Chinese Mailing Address on I-129f??

Hello all! Glad I came across this forum, I've found a lot of useful information.

One thing I haven't been able to find, and I'm surprised, is how the heck do we get a proper Chinese address on the "mailing address" sections? Both my fiance and I are living in China at the moment, and on the other fields like the G-325a, I'm not too worried about abbreviating/shortening the addresses, but the mailing address needs to be totally correct or the paperwork will never arrive here as it should! Plus, as I'm sure you already know, the Chinese way is to give a call when a package arrives, and there are no fields to put in your delivery phone number. What have the rest of you done in this situation?

Also, a simple second question for the future interview -- can I join my fiance at the visa interview in Guangzhou?? All stories I read of other people they are not attending the interview. I thought it was an option, but I never see people attending together in anyone's personal story...

Two things:

A Pinyin address should get where it needs to go, the consulate tends to contact benificiary via email or phone to confirm mailing address after they receive petition from the USA.

Attach a G-1145 to the petition, this gets you email confirmation.

Also: if you are living in China, why not simply marry now and file for a Spouse visa by filing the I-130 at the US consulate in Beijing or Guangzhou, this is called DCF, and it takes 4-5 months VS a year or more when filing a petition to the USA.

And no, the consulate does not interview couples, only the visa applicant, so it is best to provide good documentation in the petition filing, an Evolution Of Relationship letter (EOR) and communications evidence.

I will add, the only reason I would be doing a K-1 if living in China would be if there is a potential K-2 child involved that is or will be over age 18 at time of marriage.

Here is a long detailed thread of a guy in similar situation who went Spouse visa after asking about K-1 while living in China...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/44430-living-in-china-and-confused/

The Chinese REQUIRE Chinese characters in the address, since the Pinyin representation is not unique in some cases - cities, even provinces such as Shanxi and Sha'anxi can be confused.

Yes, there's usually enough information in a Pinyin address to get it where it needs to go, but you may not want to rely on the Chinese postal workers getting the translation (to Chinese characters) correct.

The Chinese characters for the address can be printed on a separate attachment, with the 'See Attachment' noted on the form. Include the phone number - it might simply be another confusion factor in entering Pinyin.

K-1 (I-129F) vs CR-1 (I-130) is a personal choice.

Hello all! Glad I came across this forum, I've found a lot of useful information.

One thing I haven't been able to find, and I'm surprised, is how the heck do we get a proper Chinese address on the "mailing address" sections? Both my fiance and I are living in China at the moment, and on the other fields like the G-325a, I'm not too worried about abbreviating/shortening the addresses, but the mailing address needs to be totally correct or the paperwork will never arrive here as it should! Plus, as I'm sure you already know, the Chinese way is to give a call when a package arrives, and there are no fields to put in your delivery phone number. What have the rest of you done in this situation?

Also, a simple second question for the future interview -- can I join my fiance at the visa interview in Guangzhou?? All stories I read of other people they are not attending the interview. I thought it was an option, but I never see people attending together in anyone's personal story...

I like many others here put the address in pinyin. Had to use a separate sheet of paper to do that. The important thing is to put a telephone number that can be called by her local postal workers when the letter arrives in her hometown. That is probably the most important thing. Chinese folks don't get all the junk mail and letters that we get for bills (bill collectors knock on their door), etc. The postal system always called my wife to tell her they had a letter for her.

No, you can't interview with her.

Good luck with the process.

tsap seui

Ah, wish I could, but we are both men. :) Filing with an expedite request, with good proof to back it up and a lawyer to help get this right. Hopefully it won't take one year...

Also: if you are living in China, why not simply marry now and file for a Spouse visa by filing the I-130 at the US consulate in Beijing or Guangzhou, this is called DCF, and it takes 4-5 months VS a year or more when filing a petition to the USA.

Just to clarify - leave the address field blank on the I-129f, and only put "see attachment"?

The Chinese characters for the address can be printed on a separate attachment, with the 'See Attachment' noted on the form. Include the phone number - it might simply be another confusion factor in entering Pinyin.

Ah, wish I could, but we are both men. :) Filing with an expedite request, with good proof to back it up and a lawyer to help get this right. Hopefully it won't take one year...

You could do as this couple did, if possible to visit the USA and get married, you can then DCF after returning to China, saving time, and the extra costs involved in adjustment of status, however there would be the added costs of travel to a place that recognizes same sex marriage. SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/45961-same-sex-spousal-visas/?p=604095

Just to clarify - leave the address field blank on the I-129f, and only put "see attachment"?

No, they did not say that, they said to use a Pinyin address on the form, and to attach an attachment indicating mailing address using Chinese characters and perhaps a phone number so that the post office can call and cleafy the address.

They will call to arrange delivery, as they did for me the other day. I simply met the EMS delivery guy on his motorscooter in front of our complex.

Occasionally, the postal workers are not adept at Pinyin. Someone will translate to the Chinese characters and write them on the envelope - not always correctly.

Another question... Does Guangzhou care about how you filed tax returns? I ask this because, as many fellow expats don't know, we're supposed to claim our foreign earned income on the 1040, but... I didn't know this until I started looking into all of this immigration stuff. I have a job in the states telecommuting, so I have certainly done my taxes, but I always used my American address and only American income. Is this something to worry about, that they would deny his application because I didn't do my taxes properly?

Unfortunately, the visitor visa is really difficult for him. No home, no car, no children/spouse, fresh job - just out of university. We tried that last year while he was still a student and got denied. We were considering going to New Zealand or something, but it's such a hassle, and he'd have to quit his job to travel there, just to marry and then come back here and still wait.

Another question... Does Guangzhou care about how you filed tax returns? I ask this because, as many fellow expats don't know, we're supposed to claim our foreign earned income on the 1040, but... I didn't know this until I started looking into all of this immigration stuff. I have a job in the states telecommuting, so I have certainly done my taxes, but I always used my American address and only American income. Is this something to worry about, that they would deny his application because I didn't do my taxes properly?

Unfortunately, the visitor visa is really difficult for him. No home, no car, no children/spouse, fresh job - just out of university. We tried that last year while he was still a student and got denied. We were considering going to New Zealand or something, but it's such a hassle, and he'd have to quit his job to travel there, just to marry and then come back here and still wait.

Your income and taxation are between you and the IRS. The income you report to Guangzhou needs to be consistent with your tax returns. In other words, if you failed to report any foreign income, don't claim it as income to Guangzhou. Alternatively, of course, you could file amended tax returns. Use the Form 2555 to report Foreign Earned Income

If you were to file an amended return, you can fill out the return and file a copy of that return with your I-864 the same day - there's no reason to wait for the tax transcript. I used the Form 4852 Substitute for Form W-2 for my foreign employer - but this is not necessary when filing the Form 2555.

A word about the Foreign Earned Income "Exclusion" - it doesn't actually EXCLUDE anything - your REPORT the income and pay taxes on it. Check the Form 1040 instructions for the Foreign Earned Income Worksheet to see how the taxes are calculated. If you also had American earned income putting you in a bracket above the 10% bracket, you WILL pay taxes on the income.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)