Mick

This guy has quite a few videos posted on YouTube, dealing with various aspects of Chinese culture and living in China. He also has a few covering relationships between foreigners and Chinese. He has lived in China for about eight years and lives in Shenzhen. His channel has a wide range of topics and I find them both entertaining and informative. I think they may be useful for those who are short on experience with China as well as those who are experienced but seek to deepen their base of understanding. Some of his clips are hilarious at times, but always informative. The guy has over 25,000 subscribers, so he must be doing something right.

I don't always agree with everything he says, but for the most part, I think he is quite knowledgeable about China and his videos are well worth your time. My only complaint is that sometimes he is a bit heavy on the drinking, but I will say he rarely lets that interfere with his videos' quality. The only exception is the one clip where he and a buddy drink 25 beers to celebrate his 25k subrscribers. You will also discover that he drives like a maniac, especially on his motorbikes. Anyway, here is the link:

His YouTube name is SerpentZa and that is what you might need to type into the YouTube search engine to find his stuff. He has lots of it. In the supermarket clip, the girl he mentions as "Beer Girl" is his wife, who is Chinese from Hong Kong.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, him and 'Beer Girl' are separated - she apparently didn't like the mainland life so much and went back to Hong Kong. He has his own motorcycle shop (I posted this video in the Orange County Choppers thread a few days ago) - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46713-orange-county-choppers-in-xinhua/

He apparently has a general work permit which allows him to do this, in addition to his day (consulting) job. I haven't really caught what brought him to China in the first place, though.

The Guilin Grand Adventure videos I posted earlier were from him also

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46641-grand-guilin-adventure/

Yes, I remember those Guilin Grand Adventure clips very well. They are basically what made me go back and start watching him again. He has some clips on relationships that are kind of interesting. I recall the one where he talked about splitting up with Beer Girl. He also has older clips of their wedding and a reception aboard a yacht in Hong Kong harbor. He is a real dare devil on his bike. I would hate to ride as a passenger anywhere with him. I keep waiting for him to get smacked by a car backing or turning when he passes on the right or squeezes between lines of traffic at breakneck speed. He is from South Africa, born of British parents. Says he visited Shenzhen for three days years ago, fell in love with the place, and made a decision to move there.

The Guilin Grand Adventure videos I posted earlier were from him also

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46641-grand-guilin-adventure/

Yes, I remember those Guilin Grand Adventure clips very well. They are basically what made me go back and start watching him again. He has some clips on relationships that are kind of interesting. I recall the one where he talked about splitting up with Beer Girl. He also has older clips of their wedding and a reception aboard a yacht in Hong Kong harbor. He is a real dare devil on his bike. I would hate to ride as a passenger anywhere with him. I keep waiting for him to get smacked by a car backing or turning when he passes on the right or squeezes between lines of traffic at breakneck speed. He is from South Africa, born of British parents. Says he visited Shenzhen for three days years ago, fell in love with the place, and made a decision to move there.

Exactly! When I'm driving, I expect to be moving FASTER than any motorcycle. Whenever one comes up from behind, it's always a surprise. Engine displacement is limited in China, usually to 250cc, so they usually ARE slower.

I've counted - I think close to 90% of them are electric, and just not driven at speed with the cars.

When I turn right, I slow down to first merge into and then pass through the motorcycles in that lane. If he were to come up behind at his speed - well, I'd be surprised!

He had an accident on the last leg of his Guilin tour when a truck tried to do a u-turn in front of him. Beer girl had a little scrape out of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure that this is really useful information, since it's such an obvious scam - the problem is going to be in getting the girl OFF your leg, if she latches on.

But another recent video from our friend SerpentZa.

He's also posted a couple of more videos in his Conquering Southern China series - too much beer and guy talk for my tastes, but some good scenery in between, if you want to check them out.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

During my years living in China, I often encountered the flower girls. After awhile, they learned to leave me alone, especially if Li was with me. Interestingly, during my first year when I lived in Hefei, a large group of flower girls, their handlers, and a number of beggars, all met in a park next to our campus each morning and got their "daily assignments." It was very organized, almost like a work crew meeting before starting the days work.