Value of items to put on Customs form

When return to the states next month We will have 5-6 checked bags, stroller, and 4 carry on bags.

I am debating how much value to show on the customs form. there will be 3 tickets so I can show $2400 and not pay taxes.

We made a get out of china for new years trip and will only show a 2.5 month stay in China on the form. That will be a lot of luggage for a short trip.

I have no receipts from the stuff that Yuan bought online so no real proof as to the value of the items we are bringing back.

Unless you have items that you intend on selling, everything is personal and no value needs to be declared.

Only items that need a value indicated is cash and other negotiable items like bonds, travel checks, cashiers checks etc, and even this you don't pay tax on.

The only things a tax would be assessed on would be items imported to sell.

Also having more baggage returning than going is accepted as bringing additional personal items that were left behind the prior entry, my wife did this on her last trip to the home country.

maybe the latest Custom's form has changed. I 'found' this wording online at

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/sample-declaration-form

the above link has been 'shortened' and leads to a page not found url.

"15. If you are a U.S. resident, print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you have purchased or acquired abroad (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the United States) and are bringing into the United States.
Note: U.S. residents are normally entitled to a duty-free exemption of $800 on items accompanying them."

I reckon what is being said is that everything your family brings back you also took over with you. Therefore, you did not purchase or acquire anything overseas. This would require that nothing remain in the original overseas packaging, if there are any such items. ( a defensive move should you undergo Custom's inspection).

I have always declared that I purchased at least something. After 2.5 months I won't try explaining that I did not buy anything.

Edited by Randy W
fixed link (see edit history)

I am just going to list 1,200 dollars. With all of the baby toy's, clothes, and misc items that are very expensive in the states to purchase. Almost everything extra we are bringing back is baby related.

I think Yuan has bought enough clothes to last the lil spud till she is 4. She keeps on saying clothes and shoes are cheap here I will buy a lot of different sizes.

Yes, I would claim no more than $100 or so, anything that is obviously used and not "New in the box" is personal property.

Examples: all articles intended to be sold or left in the United States, samples used for soliciting orders, or goods that are not considered personal effects.

15. If you are a U.S. resident, print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you have purchased or acquired abroad (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the United States) and are bringing into the United States.

Note: U.S. residents are normally entitled to a duty-free exemption of $800 on items accompanying them.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/sample-declaration-form

Things you may need to declare and possibly pay a duty on are things like alcohol, tobacco, items intended to be resold.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

Data point: Last week when we flew into LAX, the customs officer cared more about the possibility of fresh fruits/vegetables/meats than about the supposed $100 of goods in our *ten* boxes+suitcases.

• Like 1

Data point: Last week when we flew into LAX, the customs officer cared more about the possibility of fresh fruits/vegetables/meats than about the supposed $100 of goods in our *ten* boxes+suitcases.

Exactly that goes without saying, bring nothing that can carry potential bugs that we don't want introduced into the environment,

Two more things-

1. don't even try to bring the fruit you just picked up on the plane.

2. Sometimes "they" get fussy about this part of the Customs Form:

a. "Read the instructions on the back of this form. Space is provided to list all the items you must declare."

b. "U.S. Residents- declare all articles that you have acquired abroad and are bringing into the United States."

Why? for Item 1. I was pulled aside for inspection.

for Item 2. either my wife or I have been 'delayed' on more than one occasion when they asked "What are you bringing in? Please fill out the back of the form."

In other words, they have no clue if you acquired cigarettes or alcohol, so tell them: clothes, shoes, hats, socks, whatever. Put something in the blank spots to explain the $1200 you plan to declare. or $100. No matter. It lets them know you read and understood the form. And, it's easy to do. One form for the entire family.

Not a commercial plug but it does show both sides of the form in print large enough to read

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/sample-us-customs-declaration-form-6059b.pdf