Advice on sending gift to China

Hi

I have a pair of audio headphones to send as a gift to China.

They cost $200 and I was planning to send them with USPS and insure them at about $(US) 260 because the postage using USPS would be bout $60, so if its lost I also haven't wasted $60 postage costs.

But then I saw this http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280 which says the limit for personal items is 1000 CNY, which is $160.

So if I sent it and insured it for $160 and it got lost in the post then I'll lose $100.

If I declare the value as $160 anyway will the recipient still have to pay and taxes or import duty?

Does anybody have any experience sending items of about this value to China?

I was planning to use USPS as with insurance/tracking their price was about $60 but for USPS it was much more.

Hi

I have a pair of audio headphones to send as a gift to China.

They cost $200 and I was planning to send them with USPS and insure them at about $(US) 260 because the postage using USPS would be bout $60, so if its lost I also haven't wasted $60 postage costs.

But then I saw this http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_009.htm#ep1400280 which says the limit for personal items is 1000 CNY, which is $160.

So if I sent it and insured it for $160 and it got lost in the post then I'll lose $100.

If I declare the value as $160 anyway will the recipient still have to pay and taxes or import duty?

Does anybody have any experience sending items of about this value to China?

I was planning to use USPS as with insurance/tracking their price was about $60 but for USPS it was much more.

The most valuable thing I've sent to myself was about $50, although our initial shipment moving here was worth much more. No taxes or duties, and I doubt your friend would have to pay anything either.

EMS (China Post) is the best shipping method in China, although UPS, DHL, and FedEx are competitive in some areas. They will provide door-to-door tracking of your shipment. EMI (Express Mail International) is part of the same global system - you can track the package through China's EMS tracking once it's in China.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention this is for shipping from the US to China - so wouldn't be able to use EMS.

EMS is an international consortium of around 180 countries, including both the U.S., and China - you may want to reconsider. Door to door service is provided to many locations in China that the other services won't reach. Yes, from the U.S. It may be called Priority Mail Express International or something like that now.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention this is for shipping from the US to China - so wouldn't be able to use EMS.

EMS is an international consortium of around 180 countries, including both the U.S., and China - you may want to reconsider. Door to door service is provided to many locations in China that the other services won't reach. Yes, from the U.S. It may be called Priority Mail Express International or something like that now.

http://blog.stamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/blog_2013-priority-mail-express_box.png