Suggestions for Purchasing Medical Insurance While in China?

dan1984

Hi All,

I've been through the discussions on the forum about obtaining medical insurance as I continue to live in China, and although there was some good information, there were no real recommendations.

The "travel insurance" I've been on for the past 2 years is up next week, and instead of renewing, I'm thinking about going in a different direction. I've never had to put the coverage to use, but whenever I've contacted the company with questions they have never been that helpful. To be honest, I would be expecting a battle if I were to try and make a claim.

Also, next month I turn 30. No no no, I'm taking the occasion in stride, but at the same time, I can tell a difference in my body now from what it was 10 years ago, never know when things can take a turn for the worse........

..........and as such, I've been trying to find a solid company to buy coverage through.

"Travel insurance" would be alright, but I'm more apt to purchase an affordable not-break-the-bank type of actual "medical coverage" plan that covers my bases should things go south.

These are the two companies I'm looking at now:

http://www.iexpatriatehealthinsurance.com/

http://www.medexassist.com/Default.aspx

But to be honest, I don't really have any reason to choose these two companies other than their websites were easiest to use......yeah, that sounds pretty bad, but most of these expat insurance programs seem the same.

I know lots of people receive medical coverage through their jobs, but as that is not an option for me currently, just checking in with all of you.

Any suggestions or companies any of you have used before?

Thanks in advance!

dan~

Dan - I have had HTH, now Blue Cross Geo Blue, for the last 4 years and been very pleased with rates, coverage and swift payments of claims.

For Shenzhen and Hong Kong it's excellent. I have the plan that covers everywhere but the US - for which I buy a yearly travel insurance plan through IPI/Bupa for when I am in the US. (now looking at US plans we move to the States next month...)

https://www.geo-blue.com/health_plan/long_term_plans.cfm

It sounds like you don't want to get Chinese insurance, but that's what my wife has for me - some kind of cheap, basic coverage which is what's available for expats, possibly as the spouse of a Chinese citizen. I don't know anything more about it, though, although she keeps wanting me to go to the doctor so she can get some of her money back.

Dan - I have had HTH, now Blue Cross Geo Blue, for the last 4 years and been very pleased with rates, coverage and swift payments of claims.

For Shenzhen and Hong Kong it's excellent. I have the plan that covers everywhere but the US - for which I buy a yearly travel insurance plan through IPI/Bupa for when I am in the US. (now looking at US plans we move to the States next month...)

https://www.geo-blue.com/health_plan/long_term_plans.cfm

Thank you very much for the suggestion - I will be looking into this!! Really appreciate it!

Good luck with your preparations for your move~~

It sounds like you don't want to get Chinese insurance, but that's what my wife has for me - some kind of cheap, basic coverage which is what's available for expats, possibly as the spouse of a Chinese citizen. I don't know anything more about it, though, although she keeps wanting me to go to the doctor so she can get some of her money back.

Thanks Randy, I will ask my lady about this and see if she has heard of this or if she knows of any similar options. I wouldn't be opposed to going the Chinese insurance route, I guess I just never considered it. I will look into this too......thanks!